New Build - Mobo Doesn't recognize SATA Hard Drives

Old December 9th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
wjh4er

Default New Build - Mobo Doesn't recognize SATA Hard Drives

I'm building a new PC with the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard, Intel E6850
CPU, 2 x 2GB OCZ memory, 3 Seagate SATA hard drives, and 2 DVD-RW drives. I
want to run the 3 hard drives as a RAID-5 array.

Problem: I cannot get the system to recognize any of the 3 hard drives.

When I turn the system on, I get one short beep and POST starts. I get the
Gigabyte color screen with instructions for entering BIOS setup, ROM flash,
etc. which goes away in a few seconds. Then I see this:

Port 00 No device detected

Port 01 No device detected

Port 02 No device detected

Port 03 No device detected

Port 04 CD ROM LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L

Port 00 CD ROM LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L

After more typical POST stuff, it finally says: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT
SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

Assuming the problem is in CMOS setup, I reboot and enter CMOS setup.

The first category is "Standard CMOS Features." The first thing in Standard
CMOS Features is a list:

IDE Channel 0 Master [None]

IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]

IDE Channel 1 Master [None]

IDE Channel 1 Slave [None]

IDE Channel 2 Master [None]

IDE Channel 3 Master [None]

I go to the first line, highlight "[None]" and hit Enter.

The next screen shows this:

IDE AUTO-DETECTION [Press Enter]

I press Enter, a small window says: "Detecting Hard Drive." and then I'm
back to the same screen with nothing changed.

The next line says: IDE CHANNEL 0 MASTER [AUTO]

Since Auto doesn't work I tried the other two choices - None and Manual -
each time rebooting with no success.

Back at the main CMOS setup screen, I go into the second option, Advanced
BIOS features. Nothing there seems pertinent.

Back at the main CMOS setup screen, I go into the third option, Integrated
Peripherals.

The first line under Integrated Peripherals is:

SATA RAID/ACHI MODE [RAID]

The other options are ACHI and DISABLED - I tried them both without success.

The second line is:

SATA PORT0-3 NATIVE MODE [ENABLED]

I tried DISABLED without success.

So I'm completely stuck.

A few other points:

1.. I tried different SATA cables without success.
2.. The 3 SATA hard drives are brand new. I can imagine one bad one but
not three.
3.. I switched the power cables between the DVD drives and the SATA drives
without success.
4.. The SATA drives seem to be spinning when the PC powers up.
5.. I tried plugging the SATA cables from the DVD drives into the ports
that the hard drives were in and the PC recognizes them in every possible
port.
6.. I tried the SATA hard drives in the ports that the DVD drives were in
with no success.

Could there be a problem with the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for any help.

farno