"No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook

Old February 13th 07, 06:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
FatKat

Default "No Boot Disk" error on old Compaq LTE Notebook

I have an old Compaq LTE notebook - the Pentium with a 90MHz chip. I
could never get the thing to work right, so I'm trying to Craigslist
it. However, I can't get Win95 to boot up. Even though the HD shows
up on the system configurator, the notebook simply refuses to
recognize it on boot - I get this messgae that says "No Boot Disk".

Can I assume that the HD is just dead, or is this a CMOS problem? I'd
like to maximize this machine's worth before I get rid of it.

Suggestions appreciated.

Old February 13th 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

Have you tried "sysing" the drive? Get a bootable floppy disk which also has
the file sys.com on it. Boot with that diskette and at the A: prompt, type
sys C:
This will transfer the system files to the boot sector of the hard drive.
Then remove the floppy disk and reboot.

HH

oups.com...

Old February 16th 07, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
FatKat

On Feb 13, 7:43 am, "HH" helpfully
suggested:
Have you tried "sysing" the drive? Get a bootable floppy disk which also has
the file sys.com on it. Boot with that diskette and at the A: prompt, type
sys C:
This will transfer the system files to the boot sector of the hard drive.
Then remove the floppy disk and reboot.

Thanks - though I didn't get to try out your suggestion. Instead, I
went into system setup and found out that the unit wasn't set to boot
from the HD. I don't know how that happened, because it had been set
to start from the HD before, I wouldn't have changed that. On
repeated boot attempts afterwards, the unit powered up and entered
Win95 normally, so i guess the CMOS battery is also okay. Again,
thanks for your response.

Old February 17th 07, 05:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

On Feb 12, 9:29 pm, "FatKat" wrote:
I have an old Compaq LTE notebook - the Pentium with a 90MHz chip. I
could never get the thing to work right, so I'm trying to Craigslist
it. However, I can't get Win95 to boot up. Even though the HD shows
up on the system configurator, the notebook simply refuses to
recognize it on boot - I get this messgae that says "No Boot Disk".

Can I assume that the HD is just dead, or is this a CMOS problem? I'd
like to maximize this machine's worth before I get rid of it.

Suggestions appreciated.

It's been a problem child since day one? Just wipe the drive, with a
program like DBAN, and sell it for around $20. Disclose it's true
condition, and state AS-IS. And you'll be fine.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

best cloning method? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 72 April 1st 06 07:40 PM
Question about backups with Ghost Jeff Storage (alternative) 69 March 25th 06 03:51 AM
HP color laser $299 includes jetdirect ethernet card - extra toners NEW $20, also hp 8500 $700 8550n $950 [email protected] Printers 2 November 12th 05 06:40 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM