Economics of SATA hard drive

Old June 22nd 06, 07:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Economics of SATA hard drive

"Horst Franke" nospam@invalid wrote in message
In news:K6omg.198$lv.167@fed1read12 Ed Light typed:
My PATA HD and DVD are on the same channel and the HD benches up to
its maximum of 40 Mb/S.
Device manager lists them at UDMA 133 and 33. Win XP Home. Whether
this can happen may depend on the bios.

Hi Ed, and what has this to do with the OP's inquery?
He asked about SATA!
Horst

You missed part of the thread. Though I had some news server problems and
maybe answered a bit off the appropriate sub-thread. Not sure. I had to skip
some messages that wouldn't load.

The OP presently has a pata m/b and doesn't really want a pci sata card. One
alternative suggested was to get a pata drive and later it would still work
on a newer motherboard, then that newer motherboards have only one pata
channel, then that having a hd and dvd on the same channel should drop the
udma speed to the dvd's. Now my post is relevant.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 22nd 06, 07:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"Rod Speed" wrote

Yes, but one PATA channel may well not be enough,
most obviously if you want to have two optical drives,
you're stuffed, no where to put the PATA hard drives.

To the rescue!

Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 22nd 06, 07:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:
My PATA HD and DVD are on the same channel and the HD benches up to
its maximum of 40 Mb/S.

Device manager lists them at UDMA 133 and 33. Win XP Home.

Whether this can happen may depend on the bios.

Nope, not anymore.

How far back? KT133? Pentium 1?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 22nd 06, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"Warra" wrote in message
Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via 266
mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently need to
add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE (PATA) because
newer mobos will support only SATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about £60 inc
delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs £19. It
supports 2 SATA devices. That is definitely not a bargain as it's one-
third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

What viable alternatives do I have?

My new motherboard has 2 PATA channels. Wasn`t enough for me, so paid about
£10 for a PCI PATA card, giving me another 2 channels, allowing me 8 PATA
drives. Maybe this would be the better way round for you to go - get a PATA
drive now, and buy the PCI card in the future IF your new M/B doesn`t have
enough channels.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Ed Light wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Yes, but one PATA channel may well not be enough,
most obviously if you want to have two optical drives,
you're stuffed, no where to put the PATA hard drives.

To the rescue!

Dont need that if you have enough of a clue to buy a SATA drive.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Rod Speed wrote:

Warra wrote:

Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via
266 mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently
need to add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE
(PATA) because newer mobos will support only SATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about £60
inc delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs £19.
It supports 2 SATA devices. That is definitely not a bargain as
it's one- third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

What viable alternatives do I have?

Consider getting a PATA drive of whatever size fits your needs.
When its time to move to another motherboard, look for one that
will support the hard drive. If it only has one PATA interface, it may
be possible to use it for both the hard drive and a DVD drive.
Since DVDs typically runs at 66mhz, the hard drive would probably
run at that reduced bandwidth. BUT the good news is that hard
drives rarely transfer data any faster than that except for burst
from cache.

What a crock of misinformation!

Ya think? Prove it.

YOU made those stupid pig ignorant claims.

YOU get to do the proving.

THATS how it works.

Thank you Rod. Couldn't have said it better. At least three totally
inaccurate statements in there and at least one questionable. I'm glad I
didn't have this guy teaching me PC stuff.
--
Shaun.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Ed Light wrote:
[...]

No it doesnt.

Now my post is relevant.

No it isnt, its just plain wrong.

Old June 22nd 06, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Simon Finnigan wrote:
"Warra" wrote in message
[...]

Makes more sense to do it the other way, buy a SATA drive
and a SATA PCI card, because that will be used only in the
dinosaur that wont be that fast anyway. No point in crippling
the speed of the hard drives in a new fast system by having
them on a PCI card.

Old June 22nd 06, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

On 22 Jun 2006, Merrill P. L. wrote:

Warra wrote:

Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via
266 mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently
need to add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE
(PATA) because newer mobos will support only SATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about œ60
inc delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs œ19.
It supports 2 SATA devices. That is definitely not a bargain as
it's one- third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

What viable alternatives do I have?

Consider getting a PATA drive of whatever size fits your needs.
When its time to move to another motherboard, look for one that
will support the hard drive. If it only has one PATA interface, it
may be possible to use it for both the hard drive and a DVD drive.
Since DVDs typically runs at 66mhz, the hard drive would probably
run at that reduced bandwidth. BUT the good news is that hard
drives rarely transfer data any faster than that except for burst
from cache.

I already have five or six PATA drives I run simultaneously. I use a
PCI PATA extender but I prefer to avoid drives on the PCI PATA card
as I get:

No SMART reporting.
Can't boot from a partition on one of them.
Drive & partition seq numbers are different in BIOS, OS & in utils.
Slower overall booting due to PCI card checks.
etc

I don't really want to have two PCI PATA cards (my old one and a new
one) on a new mobo that supports only one P-IDE port.