Confussion

Old November 7th 05, 12:22 AM

Default Confussion

Ok guys,
How about a little help here? I have tried my damnedest to over clock my
system. "they" say that the MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR is one of the best for it.
"they" say that the Athlon XP2500 is one of the best for it. "they" say that
you need quality parts, a good power supply and lots of cooling. So, I
bought a K7N2 delta ILSR board, an XP2500 processor, an Antec true power 420
power supply, a Raidmax not sure of model case with 4 case fans plus 2
fans in the power supply. Plus I added one of the fans that sucks air out
thru your PCI slots right below my video card to pull it's hot air out. As
for quality parts, beyond the mb, cpu pwr supply.... I have 1 gig of ddr 400
pc3200 Geil ram, I had, an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, but just upgraded to an ATI
X800 GTO video card. I bought a coolmaster cpu heatsink and fan. But, I cant
over clock my system for ****!!!!
When I do, my performance in benchmarks goes DOWN. The only thing I can
figure is the culprit is.... my Antec true power 420 power supply is
crap!!!! My voltages suck!!! My 3.3v reads 3.26 my 5v reads 4.95, and my 12v
reads 11.64 with MSI's PC alert, and desktop monitor.
But, when I replace it with my Raidmax original power supply my voltages are
similar. My temps are good, my CPU runs between 125 and 140 degrees F.
At these temps, I think I have alot of room to over clock, right? Do I need
to put something on my CPU to over clock it? Is there something I'm missing
here? Or are some CPU's just not overclockable?
Could an old, 40gb HD have something to do with it? I have a SAMSUNG SV4003H
40gb hd as my C, a WD WD400BB as my D. a 56x cd rom and a 16X DVD R/W.
I am at wits end as what to do here......
Not that it's anything that is drastically needed I mean I get decent fps in
doom3, BF2 the 2 games I play But, I just figure that I should be able to
over clock this mofo up to the 2.13 ghz that the 2500 is noted for.
I've read that the 2500 WILL run at 400mhz FSB which I assume will give you
quite a performance boost I can run it at 350, but as I said, my
performance takes a hit for some reason.
I cant see the rational of upgrading to a 64 bit system right now as they
are running similar speeds around 1.8-2.5 ghz. And most games are not made
to run @64 bit anyways. I guess I just dont get the whole OC'ing thing and
what the hell makes it fly. Am I supposed to short something on my CPU? Or
do something funky? Or is it just a bios tweak? My wife asked me what I
wanted for Christmas and I told her a water cooling system for my puter,
but, hell, if my temps are good with the cooling I have, then even water
cooling isn't going to help me, I"m thinking I've got like a border line CPU
or something else......
Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!! I've been
building systems since 1991 but haven't delved into overclocking, but built
this rig so I could.... but, I cant..... lol........... Thanks for any help
anyone can give me.
--
{SFU} Jackyl

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500
ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256
1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC

Old November 7th 05, 01:03 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:22:55 +0000, jedmister1 wrote:

and fan. But, I cant over clock my system for ****!!!!
When I do, my performance in benchmarks goes DOWN. The only thing I can
figure is the culprit is.... my Antec true power 420 power supply is
crap!!!! My voltages suck!!! My 3.3v reads 3.26 my 5v reads 4.95, and my
12v reads 11.64 with MSI's PC alert, and desktop monitor. But, when I
replace it with my Raidmax original power supply my voltages are similar.

All those voltages are within spec., although the 12v looks a little low.
Could just be calibration of the software.

My temps are good, my CPU runs between 125 and 140 degrees F. At these
temps, I think I have alot of room to over clock, right?

140F (60C) is a little high, but within spec again.

Do I need to put something on my CPU to over clock it? Is there
something I'm missing here? Or are some CPU's just not overclockable?

Some don't overclock well, but the 2500+ should.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!! I've been
building systems since 1991 but haven't delved into overclocking, but
built this rig so I could.... but, I cant..... lol........... Thanks for
any help anyone can give me.

To start, I'd raise vcore to 1.85v, set the FSB to 200 and run the ram in
sync. Maybe raise ram voltage by .1v. Adjust vcore down from there. Most
2500+ should run at 2200MHz with these settings and a decent cooler.

To be honest, if you just bought this rig, you should have gone to a K8
CPU. An overclocked socket 754 Sempron will run circles around any K7
cpu. And the K8 is alot faster in games.

Old November 7th 05, 04:38 AM

Wes,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't just get it, it's been a gradual piecing of
parts. I started with an ECS board L7S7A2 I believe it was, then an ASUS
A7N8X-X, then my 2500, then my MSI board for nothing more than the OC'ing
capabilities, and dual channel ram, Then my antec true 420, Then my
X800-GTO. All bought for the overclocking abilities of each.
I keep bouncing between just going 64 bit, or sticking with this... but,
right now, I dont see the need for 64 bit as the games I play aren't
written for 64 bit it wont really make a difference that much at least
My benchmarks @ 190mhz are Aquamark3d 47,674, 3dmark03 16,145. But, it
crashes in BF2 @158 degrees. I'm thinking a copper core CPU cooler might
help. Then again, I know of a place where I can just get an Athlon XP3200
for about $160....... sigh decisions decisions decisions.....
Although........ I'm actually eyeing ASrock's mobo that has both AGP and
PCI-E slots, so I can ease into 64 bit without having to shell out another
$300 for a video card. So I may concider getting that, and a 3500 for
starters I know I can get both for about $220 @ Newegg....... But, Can you
use XP pro? Or do you have to get XP 64 edition?
The 64's are only running around 2-2.6 ghz too, so I dont see the big
performance jump advantage... I guess if I saw a "middle of the road" system
running it may sway me... Not a killer FX-57 system running SLI, just an
average jo machine. Oh believe me, I'd love to have a fx-57 SLI or crossfire
rig, but, trying to squeeze $250+ from my budget for a video card, and
another $500 for a mobo and processor is like pulling teeth out of a lion
married 2 kids rofl know what I mean? So, I have to try to balance budget
and performance hence, getting all the stuff that is supposed to be good at
over clocking.....
newsan.2005.11.07.00.04.26.571013@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old November 7th 05, 12:25 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 03:38:03 +0000, jedmister1 wrote:

benchmarks @ 190mhz are Aquamark3d 47,674, 3dmark03 16,145. But, it
crashes in BF2 @158 degrees. I'm thinking a copper core CPU cooler might
help. Then again, I know of a place where I can just get an Athlon XP3200
for about $160....... sigh decisions decisions decisions.....

158F (70C) is way too hot. Either your cooler is lousy or it's not
installed properly. if it's hot to the touch, then it's just not good
enough. If it's not hot to the touch, then it's not installed properly.

But, Can you use XP pro? Or do you have to get XP 64 edition? The 64's
are only running around 2-2.6 ghz too, so I dont see the big performance
jump advantage... I guess if I saw a "middle of the road" system running

Just because it's a 64bit cpu doesn't mean you need a 64 bit OS. It's
backwards compatible. You can even run dos on it. And you can't compare
the clock speeds between the K7 and K8 cpu's to determine performance. The
K8 executes instructions in less clock cyles than the K7 does, just like
the K7 uses less cycles than the P4. If you're going to use clockspeeds
for comparison then it has to be in the same cpu family to be accurate.
And even that's not totally accurate due to implimentation of newer
instruction sets in newer models, different cache sizes, etc..

Old November 9th 05, 11:33 AM
Van Shania

I have an asus a7n8x-x mobo ans an xp2600. I set the fsb up from 166 to 200,
lock my agp at 66mhz, my samsung pc3200 at SPD and raised my voltage from
1.65 to 1.775 and it runs with no problems. my vid card is an ati AIW 9600.
scored 10000 on 3dmark 2001se

Old November 9th 05, 11:45 AM
Van Shania

oops and my temps when my computer isn't so dust filled is 34 C to 45 under
load and with the dust under load is about 55 C and 50 at idle. I use a
large copper heat sink and case fan and it is bolted to my mobo because of
the weight.

Old November 9th 05, 12:01 PM
Van Shania

And I also use a thermaltake lanfire with a 420 watt psu, wd 80 gb and wd
120gb hds and a pioneer dvd player and a plextor px-712a dvd-rw

Old November 9th 05, 12:08 PM
Van Shania

And 1 more thing, for games yes there is a good performance boost but for
video editing, I'm afraid you will still be waiting for at least 8 hours to
convert your movie files to dvd quality mpegs. I don't even think the dual
cores or fx series will make a big dent in this time either. I think we will
have to wait until fsb speed gets faster to see any real advantages for
"faster" cpus to start doing some real damge to vid editing. Speaking of
which, anyone know of a good dvd burning suite? Unfortunately I missed my
chance at buying CopyDvd before it was shut down.

Old November 9th 05, 09:17 PM

sounds good...... have you concidered upgrading to a dual channel mobo? I
had the A7N8X-X too and only replased it with my MSI board for the DC memory
abilities.
Tomorrow is payday and I think I'm gonna buy a copper heatsink and fan to
see what that does. My system is funny, I did get it to boot @200, but it
aint reliable. I'm thinking heat is the factor. So, I'll blow a few bucks
on a good copper HS.
I got Nero's latest version with the 2 DVD burners I got with last years tax
refund one for 2 of the systems I have here It works great.... so far,
but, I am still learing all about the dvd copying, creating, editing
thing......
Thanks for the input!!!!!

Old November 11th 05, 12:07 AM
Michael Brown

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]
The K8 executes instructions in less clock cyles than
the K7 does, just like the K7 uses less cycles than the P4.

FWIW (being very pedantic here ), the K7 and K8 have nearly identical
instruction timings (throughput/latency) on most instructions and a nearly
identical pipeline microarchitecture. For code that is core limited, you'll
see maybe a 1% increase in performance from a K8 core compared to a K7. You
can, of course, construct code fragments that do better, but the best
improvement I've seen in the real world is 2%, with most around 0.5% and
below.

The real benefit of the K8 (ignoring the whole 64 bit thing and SSE2/3 for a
moment ) is outside of the execution units - faster cache, more L/S and
TLB entries, faster and lower latency main memory, etc etc. Basically, once
you start to have to hit memory, the K8 starts to show it's stuff.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open