power on password is on

Old January 22nd 08, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
- Bobb -

Default power on password is on

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
ted wrote:

i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.

If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
you own it.

When I worked at Compaq - had to SEND IT IN - they would wipe it - OS to
factory ( or maybe just tossed the old drive ?).
So if you NEED the data, remove the disk, install into a desktop pc as
second drive and backup before sending back ( ASK them while on the phone)

Old January 22nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
CBFalconer

HH wrote: ** and top-posted. Fixed. **
"- Bobb -" wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote:
ted wrote:

i have a compaq 6027us and the power on password is on and
has locked me out how do i unlock the pc. i need the hp
secret password to reset it.

If this is a laptop, you can't change it without the co-operation
of the manufacturer, which will also involve convincing them that
you own it.

When I worked at Compaq - had to SEND IT IN - they would wipe it
- OS to factory ( or maybe just tossed the old drive ?). So if
you NEED the data, remove the disk, install into a desktop pc as
second drive and backup before sending back ( ASK them while on
the phone)

It is a desktop, not a notebook.

So you can ignore my caution. But please do not top-post. Your
answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to
which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed
this one. See the following links:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ (taming google)
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ (newusers)

Old January 23rd 08, 05:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Balderdash! If you don't know what the computer is, do a little research before
posting a response, almost invariably followed by your obsessive cluttering of
the newsgroups scolding people not to top-post.

A mindless google search turned up "Software & Driver downloads Compaq Presario
6027US DESKTOP PC". Capitals are mine for emphasis. It took me less time than
it took you to respond and then send your top-posting canned message!

.... Ben Myers

Old January 24th 08, 03:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Well, then. Let's see. Would you rather have an accurate response top-posted
or a half-baked and ignorant response bottom posted? Let's exercise some value
judgements here... Ben Myers

"- Bobb -" wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote:
ted wrote:

[...]

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Old January 24th 08, 07:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

It's just a bit of fun to prod them some more. It's interesting that the URL
cited gives no facts, only that usenet started with the bottom-posting
convention, followed by a lot of essentially repetitive statements. So now, of
course, they all expect everyone to bottom-post. Had usenet started the other
way with top-posting, you and I would be all set, and the bottom-posting bigots
would be the frowned upon.

I should note that the original Western Union telegraph was bottom-posting,
wasn't it? ... Ben Myers

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:25:25 -0500, "HH" wrote:

Forget it, Ben. Your words are falling on deaf ears.

HH

.. .

Old January 24th 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ben Myers

Well, then, I should have known. Western Union established the long-running
historical precedent for bottom-posting. How silly of us to ignore a tradition
that is about 150 years old! And then there was GE time-sharing which operated
the same way... Ben Myers