Deskpro EN 6266 computer - what is the pin-out of the fan header please?

Old October 12th 04, 09:26 PM
tonygibbs16

Default Deskpro EN 6266 computer - what is the pin-out of the fan header please?

Dear group,

I am trying to upgrade a friend of mine's computer from a Pentium II
266 MHz Slot-1 to a Pentium III 450 MHz slot-1 processor.

I have a processor that works, and have already run into the SDRAMs
only being PC66 DIMMs, rather than PC100 for the 100 MHz FSB.

However, I don't know what the pin-out of the 4 pin header for the CPU
fan is on the motherboard.

The Pentium III processor has a 3-pin connector on it, for +12v, 0v
and strobe.

But what are the pins that I need to connect these to on the
motherboard?

If anyone can help me with this, then it would be good.

Please let me know what you know.

Regards,
Tony
Old October 13th 04, 12:58 PM
HH

I really doubt the chipset, likely an Intel 440LX will support faster than a
PII 333 on that model..
HH

om...

Old October 15th 04, 07:20 PM
tonygibbs16

Hello HH,

The chipset is an Intel 440BX chipset, and the label on the inside of
the system unit says that it will support faster and gives the switch
settings for it.

The Technical manual from the web-site also says the same, but I
haven't managed to find the fan pin-out yet.

I think it is connector P15, but I am not certain.
I hope that you can help me with this please.

Regards,
Tony

Old October 15th 04, 07:56 PM
Ben Myers

If you can determine for sure the exact pinout of the fan header, you can also
get an adapter which on one end accepts the fan connector and on the other end
plugs into a large 4-pin connector used to supply power to hard drives, CD-ROM
drives, etc. And there are power splitters which add another power connector if
the system does not have a spare one available... Ben Myers

Old October 15th 04, 09:00 PM
HH

BX? on a PII??? I'd recheck that if I were you. It might be the higher
settings are for a PII 300 or 333. I've not run across any Compaq, Presario
or DeskPro, that used a 440BX chipset with a PII processor, at least nothing
lower than a PII 350 or 400, which required the 100MHz bus.
HH

ups.com...

Old October 17th 04, 10:44 PM
tonygibbs16

Hi Ben,

The pin-out for the fan-connector on the Pentium III 450 MHz processor
is the standard Intel 3-pin header, i.e. Molex part-number 22-01-3037.
- Pin 1: Ground.
- Pin 2: +12v
- Pin 3: Fan Sense.
according to the Intel "Boxed Processor Specifications" data sheet for
Pentium III.

If you could tell me where I could order the adapters that you mention,
then I would be greatful (web-sites, etc.)

Regards,
Tony

Old October 17th 04, 10:49 PM
tonygibbs16

Hi HH,

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you are saying, but what is
inside shows that it is a 440BX chipset.
- I will recheck though.

I think that Compaq used this chipset because they wanted the
motherboard to be upgradable for its processor, e.g. up to PIII 550 MHz
which would need a 100 MHz FSB.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Tony

Old October 17th 04, 11:36 PM
Ben Myers

Best suggestion I can make is to look on eBay. I keep one or two around here
for emergency use. Don't even know where I got them... Ben

Old October 27th 04, 01:05 PM
tonygibbs16

Hi HH,

I have had the lid off and had another look and it is definitely
running with a 440BX chipset.

However, I think that I might have cooked the Pentium III that I bought
as well (by trying to run it without the fan going - whilst waiting for
a cable...) so I am getting another Pentium II processor so that I can
return something working to my friend.

The retention mechanism is only for SEPP packages as well, so the SECC2
package was not held securely either.
- Since the processor is on its side in the computer, then the
off-the-shelf Universal Retention Mechanism (URM) clips that can be
bought won't work (because they are vertical only.)

I am starting to wish a bit that I hadn't started, or had done more
research in advance - or considered the Powerleap technology
further....
- disasemble in haste - repent at leisure!!

Regards,
Tony