Presario 7994; Parts/Advice Wanted

Old August 15th 04, 05:22 AM
ka6uup

Thanks, I haven't tried a serial mouse. But,I do have one and will try it
Chuck

terry_b17 wrote:

hi,
have you tried a serial mouse ?
hope this helps ,
terry

==============

Old August 15th 04, 05:46 AM
Ben Myers

Well, I turned up this with a Google search:

"I discovered that if you put the "hidusb.sys" file on your boot floppy and load
it at the A: prompt in DOS, the USB mouse will then work in [DOS]. I figured
this out when I tried to use a USB mouse in WIN98SE with [DOS-level] Drive Image
and discovered that the PS2 mouse driver wouldn't work.

Hidusb.sys is actually a Microsoft USB driver originally from Win98 but included
in later Windows versions, too: Just search your system for the file, and it
probably will be there."

Here is the URL for complete discussion:

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/technote/179.html

Also see this URL:

http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse...S/Drivers/USB/

And:

http://www.tssc.de/index.htm#http://...benab/main.htm

And:

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cg...ng_FreeDOS/190

And:

http://www.freedos.org/

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:59:00 -0400, "HH" wrote:

In DOS, USB keyboard, yes, mouse no. Just spend $10 on a PS/2 mouse.
HH

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Some motherboards with a more generic BIOS than Compaq's have legacy USB
support, with the right low-level BIOS mapping for a USB keyboard to work

in
DOS. As to whether or not a USB mouse will work in DOS with legacy USB

support
enabled, I don't know. I have not had the time to experiment. I sort of

doubt
it, unless Logitech or maybe some 3rd party driver developer has written a

mouse
driver that works with a USB mouse. There are some other USB DOS drivers
lurking around... Ben Myers

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:19:37 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Sorry, but I know of no way a USB mouse will work in DOS since DOS has no
native support for USB. Possibly a USB to PS2 adapter??? Why not just use

PS2 mouse?
HH

"ka6uup" wrote in message
om...
No,
I have had no luck getting it to work in DOS. I am using the USB mouse
temporarily till I can figure out why it won't recognize the PS2 mouse.
If you know how to get the USB mouse to work under DOS, PLEASE let me
know. :-}
Thanks for the info on the door.
Chuck

HH wrote:

The spare part numbers a
Door 158240-001
5.25 blank 102371-001
3.5 blank 102368-001
You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:

http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hppart...V7F6T9K0U9JCT3

BQC64L4GC57AGB1

As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?

HH

"ka6uup" wrote in message

I am looking for a couple of the blank-off plates for the drive bays

and
the door for the front.
Also, The mouse is not being detected. I am using an USB mouse but

will
be using the computer primarily in DOS mode and would like to fix it.
I suspect the connector on the motherboard. The computer detects the
port but not the mouse. The mouse works fine on another computer.
Has anyone run into this problem before?
I am going to try re soldering the connector in case it has come

loose,
but the connector appears to be worn and may be no good.
Can anyone suggest a source for the female plug?
TIA
Chuck

Old August 15th 04, 06:14 AM
ka6uup

Ben,
Thanks Much.
Chuck

Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

y.com...

HH wrote:

The spare part numbers a
Door 158240-001
5.25 blank 102371-001
3.5 blank 102368-001
You can try entering the part numbers at spare parts at:

http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hppart...V7F6T9K0U9JCT3

BQC64L4GC57AGB1

As for the mouse, are you trying to use a USB mouse in DOS?

HH

gy.com...

Old August 15th 04, 11:11 AM
HH

It likely also could load via the config.sys file, i.e., by way of a line
such as:
DEVICE=HIDUSB.SYS
or
DEVICEHIGH=HIDUSB.SYS
the latter if HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE load before the USB driver.
Been a long time since I thought about DOS stuff ;8-)

http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hppart...5V7F6T9K0U9JCT

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 09:57 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Wanted :Compaq Presario 4800 Series restore CD DarthVader000 Compaq Computers 0 April 8th 04 02:47 AM
Presario 524 Maxfax software Mike Calkins Compaq Computers 1 August 12th 03 12:59 AM
Problems with Presario 700 (711AU) SFR Compaq Computers 1 July 8th 03 10:34 AM