reformat and load

Old July 6th 04, 02:51 PM
George

Well, first of all I've been using 98SE since running water and think it's
the overall best Windows to date. Although I've never used XP, I have no
reason to, I've heard people say they like it. Fo me, I have no reason to
update anything.
XP is a power hog, thus the reason for more RAM.
I don't want to get into a shouting match about this or that. The only
reason I want to change the OS is because my cousin is a new user, and we
coresponse by phone. It's hard for me to tell him where to go or check this,
when I'm not familar with XP, but rather 98SE. In fact, newer is NOT, always
better. Take a look at Win ME. I like 98SE and I'm going to build a new
system for me around it. Like I said, don't want no shouting matches, don't
care, just wanted some help on finding the drivers for his system.
I despately tried to talk him into letting me build a system for him, but he
decided on the Compaq because it was cheaper,
oh well.........
thanks anyway for the help, although I didn't get any.
George

HH wrote in message
I wanted to ask the same question, but likely the OP did not know the
earlier OS was not supported. I agree 100% that no one in their right mind
should consider downgrading from XP, or even W2K for that matter, to any

Win
9X version. Buy the RAM and enjoy the stable OS.
HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
No one has asked the obvious question.

Why go from a modern, dependable operating system to an outdated,
unsupported, unreliable operating system?

OK, perhaps harsh, but seriously, what's the motivation for putting an

OS
on
the machine that isn't supported?

Tom
"terry_b17" wrote in message
George,
i have never gone backwards like you are attempting . if it was me the
first thing i would do is upgrade the memory . the best thing i did
on my system was when i upgraded to 256 and i have 98 . you could try
the 98 thing but your time might be better spent upgrading the
memory and sorting the applications he has running in the backround
whatever os you choose make sure to install the latest security
updates and a good firewall along with your antivirus .
good luck,
terry

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old July 6th 04, 07:47 PM
HH

Uh, don't knock it til you try it. And how do you compare against something
you admit you never tried?
Nevermind....
HH

Old July 6th 04, 10:07 PM
terry_b17

George,
the sites i gave you for the drivers let you choose your os . while
you are at intel make sure to get the inf installer etc .
good luck,
terry

Old July 6th 04, 11:34 PM
GMAN

In article , "George" wrote:
[...]

You are NOT doing him any favors by downgrading the system IMHO