A reason I pay for for that card slot?

Old July 13th 14, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default A reason I pay for for that card slot?

Yes. PCI-E Six Point Ohhhh One. It's the creamy sound.

According to the industry, I don't need more than one, if two, PCI
(non-E) slots.

But, I do need buy, that means to pay my cash for that graphics port
PCI-E slot. Most definitely. Must have. With no exceptions.

Understand? If you're so smart you can even buy two for a pair of
$400US graphic cards in CrossFire or whatever it is.

Nevermind I don't play games. (That's right, you guessed it.)

Nevermind moreover, as in most or all of 'em, MBs are sold with
on-chipped video - not requiring a purchase price for a PCI-E Video
Board.

Do Not Nevermind that most all, 50% at least Americans, play games.
(Better yet, why don't you just forget it if they're buying dedicated
- other than challenging PC builds/maintenance - IOW, a Gamer's
Station, like X-Box/Boy or something among known game names.

IBM is thinking about changing all that in the bigger plan.

Big thoughts in big embolden blue again. Honestly, I haven't seen
such things since the days of scoffing at an upstart Microsoft, DOS,
and Windows 2.

IBM is on the roll over inroads again, this time into what that PCI-E
slot really, really means.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...eat-to-st.aspx
Old July 13th 14, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:36:25 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...eat-to-st.aspx

Did I mention how INTEL kept the first, true multitasking processor
(386 SX/DX 16/20MHz) priced artificially inflated for Literally Ages
and Ages, until AMD/Cyrix/TI caught up with, finally, low-cost
alternatives real people could afford, finally, in droves and orders
to not task-swap out EMS...that was really inconsiderate of me, among
general themes and Locke's 'How a Goose that Lays Golden Eggs Feels
when Coming up Behind, Once More, for The Golden Opportunity to Bite."
Old July 18th 14, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:36:25 PM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:
Yes. PCI-E Six Point Ohhhh One. It's the creamy sound.

According to the industry, I don't need more than one, if two, PCI

(non-E) slots.

Not gaming, but ....
I might want serial attached SCSI RAID ... that needs PCI-E x8 or so.
And if I want to put in 2 extra LAN cards and a wireless network
card in 3 plain PCI slots,
what mainboards do I get? Probably something with a hefty price.
Old July 18th 14, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 04:17:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Not gaming, but ....
I might want serial attached SCSI RAID ... that needs PCI-E x8 or so.
And if I want to put in 2 extra LAN cards and a wireless network
card in 3 plain PCI slots,
what mainboards do I get? Probably something with a hefty price.

I like the 'citation need' part ....

"SCSI interfaces have often been included on computers from various
manufacturers for use under Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Unix, Commodore
Amiga and Linux operating systems, either implemented on the
motherboard or by the means of plug-in adaptors. With the advent of
SAS and SATA drives, provision for SCSI on motherboards is being
discontinued.[citation needed] A few companies still market SCSI
interfaces for motherboards supporting PCIe and PCI-X." -WIKI

Talking 3 plain PCI and 'a few' (SCSI) boards in PCI-E (X?) flavors.
Filtering for 3 slots, then, I'd guess that would be starting around
$100US just for PCI provisions. (Discounting some tolerance for naming
poisons and MB brandnames - I do mostly Gigabtye now, tho MSI looks
also interesting. ASUS usually prices themselves out of anything I'd
consider.) But, yeah - it'll cost something moreover than just two
PCI slots (which likely may fall within half the price than for
stipulating three).

Haven't really run much with SCSI devices (HDDs, or feel especially
comfortable with striped RAID ever since I last burnt up a couple PATA
or early SATA HDDs setup for speed in an array).

Wouldn't pour much money down the proverbial well, either, on a
niche/boutique SCSI controller;- not after seeing, just this week, $70
Seagate 3T SATA drives (as well as another brand also similarly
priced) variously from TigerDirect and NewEgg, more of late duelling
it out twixt themselves.