what is the next capacity stopping point

Old September 24th 13, 11:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default what is the next capacity stopping point

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old September 24th 13, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be imposed
within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system. exFAT and
other file systems have different limits.
Old September 25th 13, 11:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be imposed
within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system. exFAT and
other file systems have different limits.

There will be a LBA48 linit at 1EB, assuming 4096k sectors.
It affects (S)ATA deives.

SCSI (and hence USB storage) is good for 64ZB with 4K sectors.

The latter is also the limit on GPT with 4k sectors.

Other limits are pure filesystem-limits, but given the stupidity
we have seen from Microsoft in the past, they doubtlessly
have some other limits in there somewhere.

Arno
Old September 25th 13, 08:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 9/24/2013 5:53 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be imposed
within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system. exFAT and
other file systems have different limits.

Well, we will never need a drive capacity of
16 billion gigabytes. Right?

Lynn

Old September 25th 13, 10:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than 2 TB in a single
drive, what is the next limit of capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be
imposed within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system.
exFAT and other file systems have different limits.

Well, we will never need a drive capacity of 16 billion gigabytes.
Right?

Well, if the sales folks have their way, all of us just must have
in-cloud storage of, ahem, unlimited capacity (providing we can fork
out the money for all of it).

As what was once sci-fi is being researched (started 10 years ago):
holographic storage. See:

http://www.colossalstorage.net/3d_holo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage

So big, really big, file systems may be needed and not that many years
from now (well, in maybe a decade).
Old September 26th 13, 04:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be imposed
within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system. exFAT and
other file systems have different limits.

Well, we will never need a drive capacity of
16 billion gigabytes. Right?

I may never live long enough to need 16 billion Gigabytes of disk space,
but maybe in a generation or two....

My first computer (an Osborne 1) had 64K of RAM and two 92K floppy
drives, and when I saw an outboard 5MB hard-drive box for it I thought,
"If only I could afford one of those, I'd never need to buy any more
floppies"!!!

Whatever you consider to be a reasonable amount of storage, somebody
will come up with programs that need twice as much. Think of Parkinson's
Law, rewritten for computing: "Programs and their data expand to fill
completely the space available for their storage."

Perce
Old September 26th 13, 06:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now that we have a jumping point to get more than
2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of
capacity in hard drives?

16 exabytes

That's the NTFS theoretical limit (not a lower limit that may be imposed
within the Windows). You never mentioned a file system. exFAT and
other file systems have different limits.

Well, we will never need a drive capacity of
16 billion gigabytes. Right?

Lynn

Not for any current applications, that is for sure. I mean, what
do ordinary people evenneed 3TB for, if not video? And you
can already get a few 100 hours in good wuality on one.

But I am sure the industry will find some content for that
in the time of our children (or later).

Arno
Old September 30th 13, 09:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Noob

Arno wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Well, we will never need a drive capacity of
16 billion gigabytes. Right?

Not for any current applications, that is for sure. I mean, what
do ordinary people evenneed 3TB for, if not video? And you
can already get a few 100 hours in good wuality on one.

But I am sure the industry will find some content for that
in the time of our children (or later).

The NSA can always use more storage... They'll juste rotate the
captures less frequently.

Old October 11th 13, 02:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:29:30 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
Now that we have a jumping point to get more than

2 TB in a single drive, what is the next limit of

capacity in hard drives?

Are you talking about hardware-technology limits?
3.5" drives are at a plateau of approx 4 TB.
If HAMR gets off the ground, we could at least double that.
Maybe 10 x eventually, so 40 TB drives.
Hopefully, SATA transfer rates also double, quadruple by then.

CPU fan stopping all the time. Delorean Overclocking 5 June 19th 06 05:43 PM
Will LTO3 be underutilized here? 4 drives MSL6060 point to point Fiber JP Storage & Hardrives 7 July 7th 05 06:33 PM
recoding stopping Husky Ati Videocards 0 September 22nd 04 02:16 PM
point to point with satellite sknich General Hardware 2 February 5th 04 04:44 AM
Stopping Trashy Ads Ann Meffert Dell Computers 12 July 6th 03 02:45 AM