The true cost of printing ink ?

Old July 24th 07, 07:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Red Fox

Default The true cost of printing ink ?

Today I paid over $40 for two dinky little ink cartridges. I bet the empty
cartridges cost no more than a $ or 2 to make, so why does the ink and
refilling cost so much?

It seems that the number of outfits refilling the cartridges is now becoming
an epidemic. Maybe that will bring the price down.

Could ink be bought in bulk, say in 4 or 6 oz bottles and then loaded into
the cartridges when needed, or is that task a difficult one? Undoubtedly
the ink has to be carefully protected from the air. Has anyone done this?

TIA

RF

Old July 24th 07, 07:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jim Ford

Red Fox wrote:

Could ink be bought in bulk, say in 4 or 6 oz bottles and then loaded into
the cartridges when needed, or is that task a difficult one? Undoubtedly
the ink has to be carefully protected from the air. Has anyone done this?

One for you I think, measekite!

Jim Ford
Old July 24th 07, 08:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"Red Fox" wrote in message
t...
Today I paid over $40 for two dinky little ink cartridges. I bet the empty
cartridges cost no more than a $ or 2 to make, so why does the ink and
refilling cost so much?

It seems that the number of outfits refilling the cartridges is now
becoming
an epidemic. Maybe that will bring the price down.

Could ink be bought in bulk, say in 4 or 6 oz bottles and then loaded into
the cartridges when needed, or is that task a difficult one? Undoubtedly
the ink has to be carefully protected from the air. Has anyone done this?

TIA

RF

Do a little Google search and you'll find an easy dozen companies selling
ink in bulk to do just that. You can also do a search for refilling
cartirdges. Some are easier than others. Additionally some of these
cartridges have little cb 's on then (circuit board) that are implanted
there by the manufacturer to thwart anyone from refilling. However, chip
resetters have been around almost as long as the cb's to reprogram the chips
to say 'full' again and thwart the printer companies. It's a vicious circle
that makes ink the bulk of the money for printer companies while buying the
ink in bulk and refilling saves it for the consumer.

Jan Alter

Old July 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Red Fox wrote:
Today I paid over $40 for two dinky little ink cartridges. I bet the empty
cartridges cost no more than a $ or 2 to make, so why does the ink and
refilling cost so much?

It seems that the number of outfits refilling the cartridges is now becoming
an epidemic. Maybe that will bring the price down.

Could ink be bought in bulk, say in 4 or 6 oz bottles and then loaded into
the cartridges when needed, or is that task a difficult one?

It is very messy and you never know what you are getting. The vendor
relabelers do not disclose who the mfg/formulator is. All they say is
compatible and that means nothing. This ink cannot produce the quality
of the printer mfg ink, does not have the longevity, and has a higher
risk of clogging your printer. Any damage caused by this ink will void
your warranty. There are a lot of people who do use this but many lie
about the results they get because they need to justify that they made
savings when many ruined their printers and did not save much.

Now if you print so much that you are changing your carts every week
than you do need to take the risk.

Old July 24th 07, 10:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Jan Alter wrote:

"Red Fox" wrote in message ...

[...]

The ink bought by this person is ued by kids in school.  It is not used in a photo printer and there are no real requirements for quality or longevity.  The type of printer they use is not a real good Epson and even Epson's ink for this particular printer was problematic.

Old July 25th 07, 03:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rod[_3_]

The vendor
relabelers do not disclose who the mfg/formulator is. All they say is
compatible and that means nothing. This ink cannot produce the quality
of the printer mfg ink, does not have the longevity, and has a higher
risk of clogging your printer. Any damage caused by this ink will void
your warranty. There are a lot of people who do use this but many lie
about the results they get because they need to justify that they made
savings when many ruined their printers and did not save much.

I have used MIS bulk ink for many years.
Everything you say above is not true, at least
with their ink. There is no quality difference,
they last as long and head clogs have been minimal
and I have always been able to unclog them. I
figure in four years, doing an average amount of
printing, I have saved close to $2,000 in ink
costs. That is a lot of new print heads and even
printers that were never needed. Even if I had to
buy a new printer every year (which I haven't) I
would have saved hundreds of dollars in ink costs.
Old July 25th 07, 03:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:

It is very messy and you never know what you are getting.

Oh? So you've done ink cart refilling?
Well...?

The vendor
relabelers do not disclose who the mfg/formulator is. All they say is
compatible and that means nothing.

It doesn't? How do you know?

This ink cannot produce the quality
of the printer mfg ink, does not have the longevity, and has a higher
risk of clogging your printer.

Oh, so you have personal experience using this ink? Well...?

Any damage caused by this ink will void
your warranty.

Really? You've had your warranty voided because you've used this ink? Is
that correct?

There are a lot of people who do use this but many lie
about the results they get because they need to justify that they made
savings when many ruined their printers and did not save much.

Oh, and you know this because you've personally looked over their
shoulders while they printed using this ink? Well...?

Now if you print so much that you are changing your carts every week
than you do need to take the risk.

What risk are they taking?
Well...?
Frank
Old July 25th 07, 04:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:

The ink bought by this person is ued by kids in school. It is not used
in a photo printer and there are no real requirements for quality or
longevity. The type of printer they use is not a real good Epson and
even Epson's ink for this particular printer was problematic.

Oh? You've had this printer?
You've used the oem ink it uses?
Well...answer the question or else we will all think you're a damn liar.
Well...?
Liar or not?
Frank
Old July 25th 07, 04:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Jim Robinson wrote:

"Red Fox" wrote in

Today I paid over $40 for two dinky little ink cartridges. I bet the empty cartridges cost no more than a $ or 2 to make, so why does the ink and refilling cost so much?

Very simple. Printer makers selling their own ink make a killing from your wallet.

It seems that the number of outfits refilling the cartridges is now becoming an epidemic. Maybe that will bring the price down.

No. Printer makers will never reduce their prices as it is their cash cow. They willingly give the printers away and then soak you royally for their ink.

\
If one would think a bit then they could reason out that if the Printer MFG are loosing money on their cash cow then they will change the way they do business.  It is their cash cow because the majority of the peopel are choosing to get the best ink.

Could ink be bought in bulk, say in 4 or 6 oz bottles and then loaded into the cartridges when needed, or is that task a difficult one?

Yes, of course, millions are doing it.

Relatively very few are doing it.  If not the printer mfg would not be making money.

You can buy bottles sized from 2 oz to a gallon. But stick with smaller sizes if you don't print often as ink does deterioriate over long periods of time. It's usually a very simple task and not

it is very

messy

at all unless you're a born klutz like Measekite who has admitted he spilt ink on his rug. Not sure if he mean carpet or his toupee. But difficulty depends on the particular cartridge type used. Canons are generally easiest to refill, so they all say here.

Undoubtedly the ink has to be carefully protected from the air. Has anyone done this?

No, the printhead has to be protected from air. Stick your spare set of refilled cartridges in printer and then fill empty set. Never leave printhead exposed without cartridges unless it's a Lexmark or HP which have built in printheads in the carts. Then it's no problem removing them at any time. When you buy bulk or refill kits, you'll be given specific intructions for refilling, follow them closely. Buy only ink made for your exact printer type. Under no circumstances should you use ink that says it is good for all printers.

One never knows what they are getting cause the relabeler will not tell them.

That's wishful thinking, not to mention a possible waste of money. You will likely not be too pleased with the results, plus it can possibly damage your printer.

sooner or later

Refilling can save you depending on print volume from several hundred to several thousand dollars.

What a joke

I'm in the thousand dollar bracket. And it's tax free since it never leaves your wallet. Best of luck! Jim Robinson, wife Wendy, and two printaholic teens!

Old July 25th 07, 04:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Rod wrote:

The vendor
relabelers do not disclose who the mfg/formulator is. All they say
is compatible and that means nothing. This ink cannot produce the
quality of the printer mfg ink, does not have the longevity, and has
a higher risk of clogging your printer. Any damage caused by this
ink will void your warranty. There are a lot of people who do use
this but many lie about the results they get because they need to
justify that they made savings when many ruined their printers and
did not save much.

I have used MIS bulk ink for many years. Everything you say above is
not true, at least with their ink.

Oh, then go to their website and see if they disclose who the
mfg/formulator is. Also call them up and ask them who the mfg/relabeler
is. Then report back with the information. If you do not then
everything I said is TRUE.
There is no quality difference, they last as long and head clogs have
been minimal

Mine has been never
and I have always been able to unclog them. I figure in four years,
doing an average amount of printing, I have saved close to $2,000 in
ink costs.

What a joke. In 4 years I have not even come close to spending that.
That is a lot of new print heads and even printers that were never
needed. Even if I had to buy a new printer every year (which I
haven't) I would have saved hundreds of dollars in ink costs.

Low cost CD printing ..... which printer is ok? baker Printers 1 June 26th 05 04:01 AM
Low Cost Drive Image Option For Cloning Windows NT 4.0. True Image Server Is Expensive Bobby Fischler Storage (alternative) 4 August 19th 04 03:27 AM
Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer? Glum Sp Printers 0 October 1st 03 12:35 AM
Cost of printing? Bob Hosid Printers 16 September 8th 03 05:44 PM
Cost of printing Gary Printers 4 June 30th 03 03:59 AM