Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors?

Old January 5th 05, 09:48 PM
Irish Rover

Default Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors?

I bought an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451 monitor from Scan on the 18th
of May 2001.

Problems soon developed with the monitor, which included purple
discolouration in the corners of the monitor, as well as a blurry image
on portions of the screen.

I decided to take the matter up with iiyama directly rather than seek a
refund as they swap the monitors out for another if a problem occurs.

After three swap outs, each 451 developed the same fault after a few
months. I spoke to iiyama on the telephone and managed to get a Vision
Master pro 454 sent out instead. This pleased me as I figured the 451
was prone to these problems, and a Google search agreed.

Back in May 2004 I realised the same was happening to my 454, and
instead of contacting them for yet ANOTHER swap out (which would involve
me and my ageing father having to lug a huge monitor up an awkward set
of winding stairs), I lowered the resolution and this seemed to rectify
the problem a bit, if not fully.

I realise this was silly as I would've been better off contacting iiyama
for another swap out or Scan for a refund, but I was really fed up of
having to wait in for another monitor to be brought, bring it up the
stairs etc and have the problem occur again in a few months time.

Now recently my 454 (which is the fourth swap out in total) has
developed the blurring problem again. I have decided to contact the
retailer I bought it from (Scan) because I feel I am getting nowhere
with iiyama.

A quick Google search reveals I am not the only one experiencing these
problems with this monitor, although not much information is availible
so I decided to post here to see if anyone has had the problems and what
was done about it.

I have had a look at my invoice and it seems my warranty has ended in
May 2004. Do I have any further rights considering the number of
problems I have had and swap outs? Indeed would the guarentee be reset
when I received a new swap out? I believe I got the 454 in May 2002 but
it could have been later.

Sorry about the long read, hope someone can contribute. If there is a
better newsgroup or Internet forum I could post it in that you know of,
all suggestions are weclome (gonna go have a look at AV forums now)
Old January 5th 05, 09:50 PM
JAD

whenever I have seen 'purple haze' and blurring, its been a magnet in
close proximity to the monitor.

Old January 5th 05, 09:52 PM
Irish Rover

JAD wrote:
whenever I have seen 'purple haze' and blurring, its been a magnet in
close proximity to the monitor.

Yeah I've seen that happen in other places, but there are no magnets
near the monitor. The monitor does have speakers built into the stand,
but if this is causing the problems it is due to shoddy iiyama shielding
and they shouldn't have included them.

BTW the purple hazing doesn't occur on my 454, just the 451's I
originally had.
Old January 5th 05, 11:51 PM
Michael Hawes

[...]

Have you tried the Degauss option on the monitor? Is the monitor near
anything magnetic, speakers, external PSU modules, underfloor electric
heating, airconditioner unit? You may still have a claim against supplier as
a good quality monitor should last longer than a year. Give Scan the full
history and see what they say.
Mike.

Old January 6th 05, 08:57 AM
Odie Ferrous

Irish Rover wrote:

I bought an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451 monitor from Scan on the 18th
of May 2001.

Problems soon developed with the monitor, which included purple
discolouration in the corners of the monitor, as well as a blurry image
on portions of the screen.

I also purchased a new 454 within a year or so of that date.

I was not happy with the display (blurred on the top right hand quarter)
and returned it.

The replacement was just as bad.

Swapped it out (someone on the uk.adverts.computer) newsgroup for an
older 22" Iiyama. He was going to return my one under warranty and hope
for the best.

The 22" was a little better, but not much.

I also have 2 x cheapo Reilsys 19" monitors. BOTH of them give a
sharper, clearer image than any of the Iiyama monitors I have ever
owned.

Perhaps Iiyama did at one stage represent the best, but I think that
went down the pan a few years ago.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old January 6th 05, 08:48 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

Iiyama were very very good around 1993-1996, their Pro models were
very sharp (Diamondtron tube when many others were inferior). Good
high-resolution refresh rates (although not spectacular) & long life.

The best place to post would be in sci.electronics.repair re the (large)
number of CRT repairers and some actual designers who lurk there.

Iiyama can adjust a monitor for you if you get to speak to an Engineer,
or at least did in the 1993-1996 era (they did for me, specially, as I am
blind as a bat). If the problem is a component spec or rating, that may
be fixable (and the engineers at Iiyama may know, albeit privately).

For many tasks CRTs are still superior to TFT:
o CRTs are easier to colour match & give better colour distribution
---- pre-press graphics still uses CRT almost exclusively
o TFTs can be higher contrast, but colour matching for graphics is poor
---- some Taxan & other TFTs are almost pre-press usable

The big disadvantage of CRT is the weight - and Iiyama used to be
somewhat heavier that most re physically moving the things around.
Blurring can be caused by shock/impact/vibration damage.

You might see if Iiyama will "work something out" with a TFT solution?

However, bear in mind the above caveats - CAD still seems better on CRT.
I've still not found a TFT which matched my (tweaked) 9017E in quality,
the Philips panels can be very good - a brand not often considered. Sorry
to see that CRT go, but had to simply re weight - plain immovable :-(

TFTs have a CFL tube-life of 30,000hrs or ~4yrs to brightness halving.
Something to consider - although most have illumination capability so
high they are quite usable for daylight viewing (not like laptop TFTs).
CRTs also have a "tube-life", but it is more typically 8-10yrs.

With CRTs it can be useful to actually go see the thing in person.
The 21" Iiyama around that era did vary somewhat across a line of ~8.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Old January 7th 05, 02:05 PM
Anthony Edwards

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:57:11 +0000, Odie Ferrous
wrote:

Perhaps Iiyama did at one stage represent the best, but I think that
went down the pan a few years ago.

I have two Iiyama 19" Vision Master 1451 monitors (a budget model), and
both have performed superbly with no problems or issues of any kind
whatsoever to date.

--
Anthony Edwards

Old January 8th 05, 12:29 AM
hissing

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:48:13 +0000, Irish Rover wrote:

I bought an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451 monitor from Scan on the 18th
of May 2001.

My 454 that I bought in September 2002 is fine, the focus in the top right
corner isn't absolutely perfect but it is far from having anything wrong
with it. I also tend to be very picky about monitors and screen quality
noticing things that others don't so I am very happy with it.