can't connect connector, USB to 2.5

Old September 27th 16, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default can't connect connector, USB to 2.5

A friend wanted to recover files from an old 2 1/2" HDD so I went over
with my USB to SATA/IDE gizmo. I'd used another version of this for 3
1/2" drives, and a 2 1/2 IDE drive, but I had looked at this one and it
has a little SATA connector on it.

The power connector fit, but when it was plugged in the USB/data
connector had no room. So maybe there is power in the data connector
too. But even when the power connector was out, it still didn't fit.

In a rare example of flauning my wealth, I had bought two makes of this
device, but the other one has an identical connector!!!

The first one doesn't even have a brandname, only a model, ADA-2020 and
the second one is Inland

All of these in the first two rows except the one with the red plug are
like mine:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ADA-...1680&bi h=834
The relevant connector is seen in the top left one, the black thing at
the top middle of the blue part.
https://www.google.com/search?q&tbm=...4Q9C8ICQ&dpr=1
Here's a bigger pictu
https://www.amazon.com/GEARXS-COM-AD...ct_top?ie=UTF8

The relevant part looks the same on the other one. Here is the other
one though the picture is not worth looking at:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...USB_20_adapter

Old September 27th 16, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 9/27/2016 4:13 PM, micky wrote:
The power connector fit, but when it was plugged in the USB/data
connector had no room. So maybe there is power in the data connector
too. But even when the power connector was out, it still didn't fit.

Clarify please. When you write 'it still didn't fit' were you referring to
connecting the drive's connector to the adapter's connector? If the 2.5"
drive came out of a notebook, highly likely, it _may_ be fitted with an
adapter that interfaces between the computer and the drive. These adapters
used to be really common but I don't know what is being done with newer
systems. Worth a look anyway.
Old September 27th 16, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 9/27/2016 3:13 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Sounds like your friend has a mini or micro sata hard drive. See if a
Google search for "mini sata adapter usb" (minus the quotes) and see if
one of those SATA to USB cables does what you want.

Yes this kind of adapter does supply the power directly from the USB
port for the smaller (micro) SATA internal drives.
Old September 27th 16, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
[...]

Maybe you need to run a regular SATA data cable, from the
dongle to the drive. Then, plug in the provided
power connector ? That may leave a bit more room
to work.

MicroSATA is normally used on 1.8" drives.

The 2.5" and 3.5" drives use the same SATA connector.

Paul
Old September 28th 16, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:26:07 -0400, in alt.comp.os.windows-10 you wrote:

On 9/27/2016 4:13 PM, micky wrote:
The power connector fit, but when it was plugged in the USB/data
connector had no room. So maybe there is power in the data connector
too. But even when the power connector was out, it still didn't fit.

Clarify please. When you write 'it still didn't fit' were you referring to
connecting the drive's connector to the adapter's connector?

Right. I should have said that it is too wide, and I'm not sure the L
went the right way, and there was not a lot of light, I'm not sure the
copper contacts were in the right place, almost like both the drive
connector and adapter connector were male.

All in all, the little rectangular area (sticking out of the blue part
in those pictures) would not push into the area around the data
connector contacts on the drive, even a little, let alone stay
connected. .

If the 2.5"
drive came out of a notebook, highly likely, it _may_ be fitted with an
adapter that interfaces between the computer and the drive. These adapters
used to be really common but I don't know what is being done with newer
systems. Worth a look anyway.

It came out of a laptop at least. Notebook, I don't know.

I'll go over again in a few days. I don't know if my young friend is
gentle enough to suggest he separate what might be an adapter and what
might be part of the drive!

I don't have 2.5 but let me try this adapter on 3.5.... Hey, it doesn't
fit that either. How can that be? Let me try the other adapter. It's
the same but wait..... It has an additional part!!! A cable! A
female to female cable. Now it works. How come the other didn't have
a cable? .... Oh, because it's the standard cable. I even bought
some spare ones at a hamfest.

Boy do I feel stupid. I'm sorry if I wasted the time of all of you.

They could have included a short little cable like the second kit did,
but not everyone is as dense as I am.

Old September 28th 16, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
[...]

Could it be a SAS drive?
http://www.scsita.org/serial-storage...by-design.html
Old September 28th 16, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

Missed the last few sentences of your post about the cable.
Glad you got it working.

Old September 28th 16, 09:41 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 00:39:55 -0500, Paul in
Houston TX wrote:

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

No, it has the key, the L-shaped part. But I'm glad to know about
Serial Attached SCSI, in case I come across it.

Missed the last few sentences of your post about the cable.

Well, I missed the cable in the second kit. I looked at the second
kit, saw the cable (that didn't come with the first one) and just
wondered about it instead of finding out what it was for.

And of course since the drive in question came out of a laptop, it
didn't have any cable.

Glad you got it working.

Thanks.
Old October 5th 16, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Johnny B Good

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 18:27:40 -0400, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:
A friend wanted to recover files from an old 2 1/2" HDD so I went over
with my USB to SATA/IDE gizmo. I'd used another version of this for 3
1/2" drives, and a 2 1/2 IDE drive, but I had looked at this one and it
has a little SATA connector on it.

The power connector fit, but when it was plugged in the USB/data
connector had no room. So maybe there is power in the data connector
too. But even when the power connector was out, it still didn't fit.

In a rare example of flauning my wealth, I had bought two makes of this
device, but the other one has an identical connector!!!

The first one doesn't even have a brandname, only a model, ADA-2020
and the second one is Inland

All of these in the first two rows except the one with the red plug are
like mine:
https://www.google.com/search?

q=ADA-2020&num=100&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0 ahUKEwiLz6LSorDPAhVMGz4KHSCIBfYQsAQIOQ&biw=1680&bi h=834
The relevant connector is seen in the top left one, the black thing at
the top middle of the blue part.
https://www.google.com/search?q&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%

3ACbsl9UpL3gd5Ijheh7ar3QAOUbNHqpzVt1ArK0a-
JAfbWTaMESLLs0s2jGH_1to_1z3XTxCyWzWdx3yKv5PXsrD2MJ uioSCV6HtqvdAA5REb--P2c-
Z7P7KhIJs0eqnNW3UCsRZMlkQ9B8f_1cqEgkrRr4kB9tZNhGta MPS5gltOyoSCYwRIsuzSzaMEXO7qbYIYG-
HKhIJYf-2j_1PddPERdhrzFYmRJ9sqEgkLJbNZ3HfIqxHta3N0L1HDkSoS Cfk9eysPYwm6EftueFtbzrSw&tbo=u&bih=834&biw=1680&ve d=0ahUKEwij19vzo7DPAhWBOT4KHZsZBy4Q9C8ICQ&dpr=1
Here's a bigger pictu
https://www.amazon.com/GEARXS-COM-AD...earXS-Adapter-

ADA2020OTB/dp/B003FFJN3M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The relevant part looks the same on the other one. Here is the other
one though the picture is not worth looking at:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373131/3_in_1_SATA-

IDE_to_USB_20_adapter

Maybe you need to run a regular SATA data cable, from the dongle to the
drive. Then, plug in the provided power connector ? That may leave a bit
more room to work.

MicroSATA is normally used on 1.8" drives.

The 2.5" and 3.5" drives use the same SATA connector.

I was trying to follow what was going on to try and figure out what the
OP's problem was since I have a similar adapter bought from "Maplin
Man" (so nicknamed on account the bulk of his electronic goodies
consisted of Maplin's customer returns) in a local flea market for 4 or 5
quid. I actually bought a second one for good measure and as insurance
against discovering why they may have been returned.

As I understood it, the problem was a lack of the peripheral cables (a
short SATA data cable and the SATA power cable???). Anyway, he sorted it
and the point is now moot. However, none of the pictures were clear
enough to indicate how the power connection options (SATA or 4 pin Molex)
were implemented. I can only assume that a 12v wallwart feeds the adapter
and a switching converter generates the 5 volts as per the Maplin one
shown he http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/idesata-to-usb-20-a35fq

Inconveniently, even when magnified the view of the sockets on the side
don't make their nature very obvious to those unfamiliar with it in the
flesh. As seen in the magnified image, the dark slot closest to the USB
fly-lead end is the SATA data cable socket and the other socket showing a
white glint is actually one of those 4 pin FDD power sockets into which
you plug the combined 4 pin Molex and SATA power lead (the white glint is
the plastic tongue of the FDD 4 pin power connector).

Now I mention this because I eventually discovered why Maplin's
customers had returned them. Initially, both units seemed to work just
fine but I started noticing problems a few months down the line which
seemed to be cured by unplugging and re-plugging the drive power cable
into the converter's drive power socket.

In the end, I realised the problem was simply due to "Designer
Incompetence" since the FDD power connector simply wasn't able to handle
the loading presented by 3 1/2 inch desktop drives and was suffering
burnt contacts. My solution was simply to eliminate the FDD power
connector altogether and solder the wires directly to the adapter's PCB
in a move that would have made any self respecting penny pinching bean
counter proud. Indeed, just for once, bean counter interference would
have saved the day in cancelling out the designer's mistake. Not
something I expected to ever see myself typing in my own lifetime.

Once I'd fixed it, I never had any more anomalous behaviour again with
working drives. The strange thing is, considering you had to plug the
power lead into the same socket regardless, was why did they bother
making that lead detachable when the adapter was already encumbered with
a permanently attached USB fly-lead. One more fly-lead wouldn't have been
a problem (it has to be plugged in *every* time it's used anyway).

Anyhow, I have a feeling that other similar adapters may also be cursed
with an FDD connector (possibly including the OP's one) and I figured
those folk and owners of the Maplin one, who now have them stuffed in a
drawer going unused due to poor reliability, would appreciate my
experience in turning this particular pig's ear into a silk purse. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 6th 16, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

Normally, what happens with those 3-in-1 adapters,
is the wall wart goes nuts and burns the drive. And
a part of selecting them, is reading the reviews and
making sure the adapter is fit for purpose. The price
point dropped and dropped, until there was no money
left for anything but the cheapest no-name adapter
included in the kit.

And doing the captive cable trick, is a favorite of mine
too. I fixed a $5K instrument in the lab that way,
after several timid repair attempts went no where fast.
After the connectorized power was taken out of the
failure path, that was the end of any power problems.

Paul