Trying to get 3-way SLI to work

Old February 22nd 09, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Trying to get 3-way SLI to work

I am a hobbyist and I'm trying to get 3-Way SLI to work. The short
summary is -- I had it post to BIOS once and boot into Windows Vista
for one second, and then blank screen. I then got into BIOS one more
time and changed boot priority to CD, because I want to re-install
Windows. Then, BIOS seemed to freeze after I pressed F10 to save and I
have not been able to get VGA again -- no post. I have tried a lot of
troubleshooting-- disconnecting various cables, etc. I have now tried
a different ATI VGA card and it does get to post either.

Here's what I have for equipment:

Enermax Revolution 85+ PSU
Asus P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard
2GB RAM DDR2 1066
Intel 6800 CPU
STA disk
SATA CD
Asus 285 boards (three)
The PSU has six PCI-E cables
Everything is firmly seated
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermaltake Spedo case

Any idea son what to try next?

- JB

Old February 22nd 09, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Never bothered even to use dual SLI (i.e., with just 2 video cards). I
usually just spend the money on a better video card. Guess I don't play
those extreme games but then I'm not really interested in paying high
bucks for a gaming-only platform.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_learn.html

There's a link there for 3-way SLI. There might be some helpful info
there. Otherwise, ask in their SLI Community.

When using just one video card and still not being able to POST, I'd
suspect your build is faulty. Have you checked the CPU fan is spinning,
that the heatsink is firmly seated atop the CPU, remember to use thermal
paste, checked voltages on the output taps from the PSU, made sure there
was a load on the PSU other than the mobo, like attach a hard disk?
Old February 22nd 09, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

There is an Nvidia newsgroup.

alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Nvidia has the slizone.com web site, and one thing they list,
is certified power supplies for various hardware configurations.
Three 285 boards lists two possible power supplies. A
Channelwell CWT1200VC, and a Thermaltake Toughpower W0133
(which could be about 1200 watts as well, not sure).

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

Now, if I use an Xbitlabs power number, the card weighs in
at 160.8W (depends on clock rate). Three of them would be
480W, or 12V @ 40A. The non-3D mode power would be much
lower, so it shouldn't be a power issue at startup.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...c_5.html#sect0

There are at least three Enermax products with your product
name. I would have expected the 12V @ 70A total for the
"small one", would be enough.

Have you tried one card, then two cards, then three ?
What happens then ? Have you tried two-way SLI with
the two cards ? Then rotate out one of the cards, and
test with the third card, to see whether that works ?

The P5N-T doesn't have anything other than the 24 pin
"EATXPower" connector as a source of 12V slot power
for the three video cards. But fortunately, if you look
at the Xbitlabs detailed GIF for power, the slot only
draws 16.8W/12V = 1.4A. And 3 x 1.4A is only 4.2A, which
the two 12V wires on the main 24 pin power connector can
handle with ease. The majority of power flows via
the connectors on the end of the card. So the motherboard
distribution of power for your 285's, is minimal. In
fact, it is lower than running a couple 6600 cards.

Have you tried looking for any articles on tri-SLI ?
This is the first one I found. There might be some
more out there.

(Picture of hardware)
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6605/3waysliug9.png

(Article)
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33910748

Paul
Old February 23rd 09, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden[_3_]

Right you are. Vista only for 3-way SLI.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#s12

(Do the Win7 Betas support it also?)

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
I am a hobbyist and I'm trying to get 3-Way SLI to work. The short
summary is -- I had it post to BIOS once and boot into Windows Vista
for one second, and then blank screen. I then got into BIOS one more
time and changed boot priority to CD, because I want to re-install
Windows. Then, BIOS seemed to freeze after I pressed F10 to save and I
have not been able to get VGA again -- no post. I have tried a lot of
troubleshooting-- disconnecting various cables, etc. I have now tried
a different ATI VGA card and it does get to post either.

I think only Vi$ta allows 3-way SLI ... (I read it from the manual of a
Asus motherboard).

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.7

Old February 23rd 09, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...orce-gtx285ssc...

There are at least three Enermax products with your product
name. I would have expected the 12V @ 70A total for the
"small one", would be enough.

It is the Revolution 85

Have you tried one card, then two cards, then three ?
What happens then ? Have you tried two-way SLI with
the two cards ? Then rotate out one of the cards, and
test with the third card, to see whether that works ?

I can't even get to post with one card now, and I tried with a
different one than the 285 (an ATI card).
Old February 23rd 09, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

When using just one video card and still not being able to POST, I'd
suspect your build is faulty. *Have you checked the CPU fan is spinning,
that the heatsink is firmly seated atop the CPU, remember to use thermal
paste, checked voltages on the output taps from the PSU, made sure there
was a load on the PSU other than the mobo, like attach a hard disk?

CPU spins, heatsink is seated, what do you mean when you say check
taps?

I have tried every possible different connection -- with HDD, without
-- changed SATA ports, etc. It is now a personal challenge, if you get
my meaning. The machine is winning right now!
Old February 23rd 09, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
Now, if I use an Xbitlabs power number, the card weighs in
at 160.8W (depends on clock rate). Three of them would be
480W, or 12V @ 40A. The non-3D mode power would be much
lower, so it shouldn't be a power issue at startup.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...orce-gtx285ssc...

There are at least three Enermax products with your product
name. I would have expected the 12V @ 70A total for the
"small one", would be enough.

It is the Revolution 85
Have you tried one card, then two cards, then three ?
What happens then ? Have you tried two-way SLI with
the two cards ? Then rotate out one of the cards, and
test with the third card, to see whether that works ?

I can't even get to post with one card now, and I tried with a
different one than the 285 (an ATI card).

If you cannot get to POST, your next steps would be

1) Beep tests. With no video present, the computer case
speaker should beep. A beep indicates BIOS code is
being executed. If the board won't beep, then
perhaps it isn't getting very far into the BIOS.
You can do the same beep style tests, by removing the RAM.

2) There should be a different beep pattern for missing
RAM, than for video. You can use that difference, to see
if a single stick of RAM is working or not. (I.e. Plug in
a single stick, then see if the "bad RAM" beep pattern changes
to "missing video". That tells you the RAM passed a
simple test in the BIOS.)

3) If there is still no joy, you can clear the CMOS, with
the power cord unplugged. Consult the manual for the
exact procedure. It should involve a jumper with a name
like CLRTC. If it works, and you were to get into the BIOS,
then the Real Time Clock would also get cleared to an
earlier default time of day.

4) Could the BIOS be corrupted ? It could, but it would be
hard to understand why. There have been boards with Nvidia
chipsets that were notorious for bricking. But in a quick
scan of the vip.asus.com forum, I don't see any sign of that.
This particular motherboard discussion group is mostly noise.
I couldn't see any pattern to what is going on.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...=1&model=P5N-T Deluxe

The motherboard has a three year warranty. You could return it
under warranty. Then, go out and buy another motherboard, while
you're waiting. Where you go next, in terms of purchases, is the
big question. Does Nvidia have a trustworthy chipset ?

Some Nvidia chipsets have been known to blow PCI Express
slot interfaces. But I would have expected to still be able
to POST, assuming you can find an interface that works. I
use an old FX5200 PCI video card, when all else seems to be
failing. It's pretty hard to kill those.

When the repaired motherboard comes back, you can sell it,
or keep it as a spare (doorstop).

One of the problems with the new stuff, is finding enough
review articles to even get a grasp on what you're getting.
For example, this is a socket change to LGA1366, and
motherboard makers can get a license to run SLI on an
Intel X58 chipset. This particular board uses an Nforce 200.
I cannot find a block diagram, showing how it is connected.
The X58 can split into four x8 PCI Express 2.0 interfaces,
so I don't see where the big win is with the Nforce 200.
A block diagram would have made things clearer. PCI Express
lanes don't "multiply". The X58 only has 36 lanes total,
basically 16+16+4. If an Nforce 200 takes a 16 group, and
makes 16+16 from it, the bandwidth available is still limited
by the input, as 16 lanes. So while adding the Nforce 200
allows more slots to be wired up, it doesn't change the
grand total of 36 lanes on the Northbridge (and a few x1's
for motherboard peripherals on the Southbridge).

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&m odelmenu=1

"Multi-GPU Support

Supports NVIDIA 2-Way and 3-Way SLI techonology
Supports ATI CrossFireX technology, up to Quad CrossFireX

HTH,
Paul
Old February 23rd 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Thanks again for helping.

Did you check you weren't off by a pin for the 20-pin connector from the
PSU to the mobo?

It is connected right...

Change the CMOS battery yet? *Some mobos won't boot with a dead or
missing battery.

Tried that just now, no luck.

Have you shorted the 2-pin mobo header to clear CMOS, waiting 10
seconds, removed it, and rebooted?

Tried that as well. There is no post at all to video. I tried a
different monitor as well...