Linksys in 2003?

Old August 24th 15, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default Linksys in 2003?

I'm looking for a wireless parallel print server and I found one on
Amazon and one on Ebay.

These were made in 2003 or 2004 when parallel printers were the norm,
and I'm wondering if Linksys had a bad year, or if it only applied to
their print servers.

The Amazon one was maybe a Linksys WPS32 at various sellers, several at
$20, which seemed cheap enough but, as Paul would suggest, I looked at
the Amazon ratings and it was a 3. with a really large number of 1's
and 2's. Instructions complicated, incomplete, no good, customer
service gives contradictory statements, From customers who generally
loved Linksys and bragged about how many other things from them they had
and

And Ebay's was a Linksys Wireless G Print Server WPS54GU2. So I figured
that one woudl be good It has 3 bids already and 2 hours before it
closes. So I looked and it was on Amazon with iirc a 2.5 rating!!!
Same kinds of complaints. Like the others, from people with 35 years
in computing, network adminstrators etc.

So, Linksys still has a good reputation doesn't it?

Were wireless print servers uncommon enough that if they were bad, most
people didn't notice, and even fewer cared?

So the upshot is, I've run out of room in my office/bedroom and want to
put a big laser printer in the next room. I've given up on wireless
for now and I bought a wired one for 99 cents, plus $6 S&H. It just
means a 4rd wire running through the hall, and only a couple feet for
this one.
Old August 24th 15, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul

micky wrote:
[...]

Linksys was originally their own small company.

I bought a $300 router from them. It needed to be
rebooted twice an evening. Eventually it "bricked",
and the two PCBs inside the router, no longer talk
to one another.

Linksys was bought by Cisco. Cisco was the Enterprise/Business
networking company, and decided to shop for a Consumer networking
company. It's not clear, how much design discipline and management
oversight, moved from Cisco into Linksys.

*******

Electronics devices, only work as well as the standards
defined for them. And the extent to which industry participants
check for compatibility. Some standards for example, there
are yearly "plug-fests", where manufacturers meet in Vegas,
connect the hardwares together, and note whether they work
or not.

So, does a "print server" have a spec or standard defining
how it works ? Do the printer companies and print server
companies meet regularly and plug their stuff together ?
I don't know the answer to that, but my suspicion is
large quantities of bailing wire and binder twine hold
this stuff together. YMMV of course.

Paul
Old August 24th 15, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
I'm looking for a wireless parallel print server and I found one on
Amazon and one on Ebay.

Some printers require 2 way comm and some don't.
Wireless is often only one way.
USB to parallel/serial, etc. is often one way.
Better make sure that your printer is a one way printer before getting
a wireless print server.

Old August 24th 15, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In alt.comp.hardware, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:59:52 -0500, Paul in
Houston TX wrote:

micky wrote:
I'm looking for a wireless parallel print server and I found one on
Amazon (a WPS11) and one on Ebay.

Some printers require 2 way comm and some don't.
Wireless is often only one way.

That's another thing one or both of those wireless servers did. Their
boxes said works with almost any printer, but when buyers called
customer service, they were told it wouldn't work with an all-in-one.

One was told it required a Linksys router, also not written on the box,
and probably not true/

USB to parallel/serial, etc. is often one way.
Better make sure that your printer is a one way printer before getting
a wireless print server.

Well, I ended up getting a wired one. I"m sure that one small laser
printer I have is communicates only one-way

While looking for a driver for the wireless I didn't buy, I came across
this page,
http://www.uyc.nu/download_driver.ph...ksys_wps54gu2_

Driver First Uploaded: November 4 2013
Thumbs up 272, Thumbs down 15
Installation Ease 86%

How come these people did so much better than the Amazon raters, who
gave it a 2.4, which is really a 1.4 out of 4.

And since the device was first sold in 2003 or so, have 287 people
really not just downloaded the driver?

Or did they make this stuff up, like Amazon makes up "These things were
bought together" and then gives two routers or something else people
only need one of.
Old August 24th 15, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

I lost track of why you are doing this. You can buy a new printer for
around $100 that scan's prints, duplexes, copies and will do it wired
or wireless. Why waste time and money on kludging up some antique
printer with an antique and probably slow and buggy wireless router?

Just one of many possible choices in the $100ish range is....

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCPL25...Y1FRG5J2CBV760

Old August 24th 15, 02:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony Hwang

micky wrote:
[...]

What's the bother? You can buy a WiFi printer for ~30.00 and up. There
are tons of USB-parallel converter. I have two WiFi printers one is
color laser, one is inkjet photo printer both are NFC, airprint capable.
I bought the laser one on sale for less than 200.00, photo printer for
49.00 which is 4 in 1 printer.
Old August 24th 15, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:39:54 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I lost track of why you are doing this. You can buy a new printer for
around $100 that scan's prints, duplexes, copies and will do it wired
or wireless. Why waste time and money on kludging up some antique
printer with an antique and probably slow and buggy wireless router?

Just one of many possible choices in the $100ish range is....

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCPL25...Y1FRG5J2CBV760

That's pretty good. Thank you. I mean it. Only 100 dollars.

But I only spent 7.

And I intend to keep my current non-wireless laser printer, because I
don't want to trash a good printer, or even go to the trouble of finding
someone who wants a parallel port printer. . So since I'm keeping it,
for 20 for the wireless** or 7 for the wired. I can have it where I want
it. That's why I'm doing it. I don't have a lot of money.

I have another pinter, that I paid $100 for, that scans, copies, and
faxes. (Although I've had it for 2 or 3 years and only faxed 3
pages.)

**which it turned out might have taken forever to install - though some
poeple gave them 4 or 5 stars.
Old August 24th 15, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:41:42 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

I can't spend money like you can.

49.00 which is 4 in 1 printer.

Old August 24th 15, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
[email protected]

wrote:

So the upshot is, I've run out of room in my office/bedroom and want to
put a big laser printer in the next room. I've given up on wireless
for now and I bought a wired one for 99 cents, plus $6 S&H. It just
means a 4rd wire running through the hall, and only a couple feet for
this one.

Just remove your toilet, put the printer in it's place in the bathroom,
and run a long cable to it!!!

Old August 24th 15, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony Hwang

Paul wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

Now Belkin owns Linksys name.

Electronics devices, only work as well as the standards
defined for them. And the extent to which industry participants
check for compatibility. Some standards for example, there
are yearly "plug-fests", where manufacturers meet in Vegas,
connect the hardwares together, and note whether they work
or not.

So, does a "print server" have a spec or standard defining
how it works ? Do the printer companies and print server
companies meet regularly and plug their stuff together ?
I don't know the answer to that, but my suspicion is
large quantities of bailing wire and binder twine hold
this stuff together. YMMV of course.

Paul

Need help - Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router and a Linksys Broadband Router gecko General 7 March 31st 08 04:51 AM
Linksys WRT54GC router and Linksys WVC54GC video cam setup Leanin' Cedar Webcams 1 January 28th 07 08:54 AM
Linksys Peter Webcams 10 March 31st 06 04:31 AM
looking for server 2003 SATA mass storage drivers for windows server 2003 RobR Dell Computers 2 November 22nd 05 08:04 PM
ghost 2003 compatability with 2003 server? Jesse Storage (alternative) 1 September 10th 03 01:22 AM