Dabs *new* website

Old November 19th 03, 06:31 PM
bleh

Default Dabs *new* website

I actually tried to find stuff on Dabs.com today but its near
impossible. The grouping of items is vague and you can't find exactly
what you want. Or you look my manufacturer which is long winded and
silly way to do it. The old site was sooooo easy to find stuff and
thus order. I've never had problems with Dabs and would always
recommend them to people but if you can't stuff on the website what
use is that.....

Old November 19th 03, 08:00 PM
Lee J. Moore

bleh wrote:

I actually tried to find stuff on Dabs.com today but its near
impossible. The grouping of items is vague and you can't find exactly
what you want. Or you look my manufacturer which is long winded and
silly way to do it. The old site was sooooo easy to find stuff and
thus order.

I know. I was looking for a price for a wireless ADSL router today and I
had an exact model in mind. Couldn't find it for the life of me at Dabs
until I put the model number and 'dabs' into Google; then Google returned
the correct Dabs page. How crap is that?

I've never had problems with Dabs and would always
recommend them to people

Blimey. It was four years ago that I last shared such optimism about
Dabs.

--
Lee J. Moore
http://cafe-society.com

Old November 19th 03, 09:30 PM
Mike

"bleh" wrote in message
I actually tried to find stuff on Dabs.com today but its near
impossible. The grouping of items is vague and you can't find exactly
what you want. Or you look my manufacturer which is long winded and
silly way to do it. The old site was sooooo easy to find stuff and
thus order. I've never had problems with Dabs and would always
recommend them to people but if you can't stuff on the website what
use is that.....

I like dabs but i dont like this new website i think its awful in everyway.
Took me ages to find and order stuff last week.

I also don't their dropdown menus there look so amateurish, they really need
changing.
Perhaps put some lines inbetween to make each look like a button and give
them a capital letter.

Old November 21st 03, 07:49 PM
Andrew Ratcliffe

"bleh" wrote in message
I actually tried to find stuff on Dabs.com today but its near
impossible. The grouping of items is vague and you can't find exactly
what you want. Or you look my manufacturer which is long winded and
silly way to do it. The old site was sooooo easy to find stuff and
thus order. I've never had problems with Dabs and would always
recommend them to people but if you can't stuff on the website what
use is that.....

I don't use them anymore - they soooo should not have fixed what wasn't
broken.
--
Andrew

NOTE: Return E-mail address is a spam-trap and does not get read!

Old November 22nd 03, 07:06 PM
Top-poster

Even their old site sucked.
My main moan is/was the tiny writing for links - so you had about 3 pixels
in which the cursor changed from arrow to hand.
Not to mention the so-called "buttons" that don't look like buttons, ie -
like they do anything .... so that on the first visit to their old site,
it's unbelievably unclear how to go about the next step.
And the colours - or the lack thereof, it's basically monochrome in red.
Classic example of how not to design a site.
Loathsome.
The new site is even geekier.
Why is it geeks have this thing for tiny writing and forcing pinpoint mouse
accuracy to click on a link ?
Big boo to dabs' cretinous "web-designer".

Old December 15th 03, 03:43 AM
David Atherton

"Top-poster" wrote in message
Even their old site sucked.
My main moan is/was the tiny writing for links - so you had about 3 pixels
in which the cursor changed from arrow to hand.
Not to mention the so-called "buttons" that don't look like buttons, ie -
like they do anything .... so that on the first visit to their old site,
it's unbelievably unclear how to go about the next step.
And the colours - or the lack thereof, it's basically monochrome in red.
Classic example of how not to design a site.
Loathsome.
The new site is even geekier.
Why is it geeks have this thing for tiny writing and forcing pinpoint

mouse
accuracy to click on a link ?
Big boo to dabs' cretinous "web-designer".

It's not a fixed thing. We have made hundreds of changes since we switched
it on,
the most obvious one being that it now works in Netscape (oops).

And when we moved from our cramped warehouse to a brand new one four times
as big with much better facilities some of the guys moaned. Because it was
unfamiliar.

We'll keep responding to customer feedback.

Top-poster should perhaps set his font size higher on his browser? The new
site
is dynamic 800x600 nominal. The old site was 640x480 fixed.

--
David Atherton, dabs.com plc

Old December 15th 03, 01:12 PM
Trev

"David Atherton" datherton at dabs dot com wrote in message
.. .

"Top-poster" wrote in message

It's not a fixed thing. We have made hundreds of changes since we

switched
it on,
the most obvious one being that it now works in Netscape (oops).

Does for me but it dont work in IE any more. Good or what

Old December 19th 03, 01:56 AM
parish

David Atherton wrote:
"Top-poster" wrote in message
Why is it geeks have this thing for tiny writing and forcing pinpoint

Geeks don't use "Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 7.0" to build websites.

the most obvious one being that it now works in Netscape (oops).

Wanna bet David?

Mouseover the "tabs" (Home, Hardware, etc.) in a Mozilla-based browser
and nothing happens. Do the same in IE and drop-down menus appear. Is
this because Moz doesn't support DHTML? No, the muppet that wrote the
browser-sniffing code _thinks_ it doesn't. Open the page in IE,
File-Save As Web page complete, open the saved page in Moz and, hey
presto, the drop down menus appear.

Also, do a search (using Moz) and it says 9 (or whatever) items found,
but only displays 3.

The old site worked just as well in Moz as it did in IE, the new site
doesn't, a backward step methinks.

A quick View-Source says it all:

meta content="Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 7.0" name="GENERATOR"
meta content="Visual Basic 7.0" name="CODE_LANGUAGE"
meta content="JavaScript" name="vs_defaultClientScript"
meta content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"
name="vs_targetSchema"

Another thing that's screwy (in IE as well, so it's probably the
back-end e-commerce s/w) is the Order Status page. Example: an order of
mine, 4744794, shows the _Order_ status as Completed, which you define
as "The order in question has been fully packed by our warehouse team
and has been loaded onto our van ready for shipping to you." but the
individual lines in the order are Awaiting Packing, so I guess that I
can expect to receive a box containing nothing but those polythene
balloons you use ;-)

We'll keep responding to customer feedback.

I'm waiting :-) On which point, on your website there are plenty of
Customer Reviews saying wonderful things about Dabs but there doesn't
appear to be anywhere to actually write a review. Hmmm......

Old December 19th 03, 10:30 PM
Niall

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:56:14 +0000, parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com
wrote:

I'm waiting :-) On which point, on your website there are plenty of
Customer Reviews saying wonderful things about Dabs but there doesn't
appear to be anywhere to actually write a review. Hmmm......

I know of at least one item where a customer has used the "Review
item" option to post his opinion of Dabs service because he hasn't
received it in the time stated, and no, I'm not going to say which
item on a public forum where they can spot it and remove it :-)

Certainly made me think twice about ordering one, knowing that the
availability isn't as stated.

--
Niall