P750 or Parhelia? newbie question.

Old December 17th 03, 12:56 AM
Vanne de Castle

Default P750 or Parhelia? newbie question.

Hi everyone, just thought id say hi before posting. anyhows on with
the show.

Ive had a quite a few vid cards over the last few years and up to date
since my voodoo3 3000 have been quite disalusioned with the while 2D
picture quality of both my ATI 9500pro and my Nvidia 256 DDR
(anilator). so iam looking for a new card. Ive since sold my 9500pro
and gone back to my Nvidia old chunk.

Now ive done a bit of research on the matrox site and also through the
news groups, and it seems my options come down to either the P750 or
the 128Meg Parhelia.

First of all, i guess i had better state some of my requirements so
comments can be made on a most feasable option for video card.

Right, well i do quite a bit of C++ programming and also quite abit of
Photoshopping and watching TV on my leadtek card. (i guess thats about
it for 2D on my Peecee. I do maya on my Octane (love the picture
quality on that btw) R12K350 and also a bit of audio design.

I also use BeOS (OS by now defunkt Be.inc) & Gobe Productive for
writting my novel on my x86 XP1800+ PC.

There are a few games that i do play when i have the time, and they
are a bit of DiabloII and Never Winter Nights. I also do play a bit of
Unreal Tournament and Warcraft III and 2.

Right, I also love M$ flight sim and run atm on a single monitor, but
was using dual monitor setup on my R9500 pro. And loved that. However
HW accel was only available on 1 monitor at the time, so i had to move
all my static controls (instruments panel etc over to the 2ndary
monitor) that did anoy me lots

now my question is this.

What would be the best card to get for my useage? would i be satisfied
with a P750? or would you guys go for the 128 meg Parhelia. Obviously
cost is an issue. Id like to run at least 2 monitors, and have
exellent picture quality in 2D.

Is the P750 fast enough to play these games?
what is the P750 like to live with? how well does it Overclock? does
it even overclock? and as the P750 is a cut down version of the
Parhelia, has anyone hacked the bios, enabling features from the
Parhelia?

any information would be most appreciated. As i said before, iam not
looking for a gaming card, just a card thats easy to live with and has
exellent 2D picture quality.

How are the drivers for WinXP? any conflicts?

thanks for reading and hope you can help me make the right decision.

kind regards
Vanne