Associating Programs with New Windows Install (Separate Partitions)

Old November 23rd 03, 11:22 PM
Dave Hull

Default Associating Programs with New Windows Install (Separate Partitions)

Hello,

On one drive, I have it partitioned into C, for the OS (WinXP Pro), F, for
programs, and various other partitions for backups and media. I use Norton
Ghost to back up the partitions.

If I want to start over with a fresh installation of Windows, on the C
partition, from either a Ghost image or the Windows XP disc, is their a
quick, easy way to re-associate the programs on the F partition with the new
Windows installation? I want the programs to work correctly, of course, and
to show up on the Start/Programs menu, plus the quicklaunch bar. Can I just
save the User folders to the F partition, then move them back after
installation/ghosting? If so, which user folders would I save? I seem to
remember trying this, but was unable to because the some files were in use;
maybe because I tried cutting and pasting rather than just copying the
folders.

Most importantly, will their be additional issues with the registry,
preventing the programs from working at all?

Thanks for any help,

Dave