Globalwin Ice Age thermoelectric cooler?

Old July 8th 03, 12:08 PM
Jorgen Smith

Default Globalwin Ice Age thermoelectric cooler?

Hi,

I've got the A7N8X Deluxe, XP-2600+ CPU (333mhz fsb), 2x256 Corsair
TwinX3200LL memory in a Lian Li PC-60 case with window kit (making it a
PC-65). Plus a 9800PRO ATI card, 4x60GB Promise Fasttrak 100TX2 in RAID 1+0
(striped/mirrored) for 120gb of storage. And a cutesey little blue light.

Now, I'm just using the stock fan at the moment; I have a Thermaltake
Volcano 9 but that's in my 2nd PC (partner's) as I wanted something beefier
for myself.

I'm managing to get to 206mhz on the FSB running mem at 6-3-2-2 speeds (in
bios 2004 order) using 10.5 multiplier. For some reason I had it running at
6-2-3-2 before, but that won't work anymore - WINXP refuses to boot. At 11x,
it works fine until the CPU gets hot enough (around 57c) when I get a
MACHINE_FAULT blue screen error.

So when looking for a new cooler, I've sort of decided on the Thermalright
SLK 800 and Thermaltake
Smartcase Fan 2. Which should be a pretty nice setup. I want to run it as
cool as possible, as I want to beat a mate who's got a Barton 2500 (and
probably the upper edge in o/c knowhow..) ... if that can be done at all.

Now, when looking up aussie prices for the slk800 I came across the
Globalwin Ice Age thermoelectric cooler at
http://www.below-0.net/belowzero.asp...er%20Cooli ng

More information at http://www.globalwin.com.tw (currently first item in the
main flash promo space), full presentation at
http://www.globalwin.com.tw/products...ier/iceage.swf

It looks like an interesting idea. However the cooler & fan themselves look
a bit puny. All I can find on Google are preview articles in French. So has
anyone actually tried this thing? Will it be a better overclocker than the
Thermalright? I'm prepared to spend a bit of money (maybe up to $500AUD),
but I'm not an engineer so installation gotta be reasonably easy for someone
"dumb" like me to install. I'm prepared to go to some pains, though, if I
can possibly reach 11.5 or even 12x multipliers. Just as long as it doesn't
have the potential to get way messy.

Thanks heaps for any tips/comments, other recommendations.

Jørgen

*) 206.57x10.5 2168.94 mhz (2.17ghz) 1.65 voltage set in bios, a bit higher
in reality (1.75ish)
pcmark01:
cpu: 6640
mem: 5767
hdd: 915

my mate's got 6839 and 5970 cpu/mem scores, he reckons he can push the CPU a
fair bit more with at least one .5 multiplier increase and maybe a 1x . This
is 200fsb.

3dmark01se:
sco 16585

Old July 8th 03, 05:12 PM
bretb

If you wish to know more about these systems read this review
http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...rticle&sid=893

This is a system designed by a company in Israel and licensed to several
different vendors. I'm fairly sure that there will be very little difference
between the vendors.

"Jorgen Smith" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.below-0.net/belowzero.asp...=45305434 9&p
arenttitle=Cooling&childtitle=Peltier%20Cooling

Old July 8th 03, 06:19 PM
BigBadger

Go with the SLK...air cooled TEC's are a wast of time for high heat oupur
cpu's especially if you plan on overclocking and increasing voltage.

Old July 9th 03, 09:32 AM
Jorgen Smith

"bretb" wrote in message
.com...
If you wish to know more about these systems read this review
http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...rticle&sid=893

This is a system designed by a company in Israel and licensed to several
different vendors. I'm fairly sure that there will be very little

difference
between the vendors.

Cool, many thanks. From what I can see this is probably better for the ones
who want a stock CPU system to run as silent as possible.

Old July 9th 03, 09:34 AM
Jorgen Smith

"BigBadger" wrote in message
Go with the SLK...air cooled TEC's are a wast of time for high heat oupur
cpu's especially if you plan on overclocking and increasing voltage.

Thanks for the recommendation, seems like you're spot on. I'm half wondering
about whether to venture into the land of water cooling, but am thinking the
SLK is probably gonna be way less hassle. And yes, the 800 seems pretty
beefy - it should be able to do a good job.

Cheers,

Old July 9th 03, 07:18 PM
BigBadger

"BigBadger" wrote in message
Go with the SLK...air cooled TEC's are a wast of time for high heat

oupur
cpu's especially if you plan on overclocking and increasing voltage.

Thanks for the recommendation, seems like you're spot on. I'm half

wondering
about whether to venture into the land of water cooling, but am thinking

the
SLK is probably gonna be way less hassle. And yes, the 800 seems pretty
beefy - it should be able to do a good job.

Cheers,

I think your doing the right thing...I've just converted from watercooling
back to air with a SLK900 and 92mm Tornado fan. I'm actually getting lower
temps with air than I was with water (32C under load on air). I have to
admit it is a bit noisy though.

Old July 10th 03, 10:47 AM
Jorgen Smith

"BigBadger" wrote in message
[...]
I think your doing the right thing...I've just converted from watercooling
back to air with a SLK900 and 92mm Tornado fan. I'm actually getting lower
temps with air than I was with water (32C under load on air). I have to
admit it is a bit noisy though.

Cool. That's one massive cooler. Which mobo do you have? I heard the SLK900
is a bit tricky with the A7N8X Deluxe; if it is possible at all to mount it
without relying purely on luck the capacitors won't break, I'll get that.
Otherwise it'll have to be the 800 model for me.

Saw that a 92mm delta fan could produce some 110CFM or something. Would be
cool to have that with a temperature sensor regulator, such as with the
Thermaltake one.

Cheers,
Jørgen

Old July 10th 03, 06:12 PM
BigBadger

"Jorgen Smith" wrote in message
"BigBadger" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

The board is a NF7-S V2.0, the SLK fits no problem (I think the A7N8X
requires the capacitors to be bent over slightly). the Tornado fan is 110cfm
also. I put some ducting on so it drew air from outside the case and got the
temp down a few degrees more...how about 27C under load with a case temp of
20C !!!!