Inspiron 2500 keyboard problem

Old November 12th 03, 11:59 PM
Bob Teodosio

Default Inspiron 2500 keyboard problem

The keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 2500 is unresponsive when I try to type
anything in. I called Dell Support and they suggested a new keyboard
assembly. I am not sure this is a hardware problem. Is there anyway I
could have locked up the keyboard (key combo) so that nothing appears? I
ran Norton virus scan and no virus shows up.
Old November 13th 03, 01:39 AM
Carol

"Bob Teodosio" wrote in message
. 136...
The keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 2500 is unresponsive when I try to type
anything in. I called Dell Support and they suggested a new keyboard
assembly. I am not sure this is a hardware problem. Is there anyway I
could have locked up the keyboard (key combo) so that nothing appears? I
ran Norton virus scan and no virus shows up.

I have had that problem on my Inspiron 2500. Turn over the computer and
tighten the screws. They sometimes get loose from the heat and cause
keyboard problems.

Carol

Old November 13th 03, 02:26 AM
Bob Teodosio

Bob Teodosio wrote in
. 136:

"Bob Teodosio" wrote in message
. 136...
The keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 2500 is unresponsive when I try to
type anything in. I called Dell Support and they suggested a new
keyboard assembly. I am not sure this is a hardware problem. Is
there anyway I could have locked up the keyboard (key combo) so that
nothing appears? I ran Norton virus scan and no virus shows up.

I have had that problem on my Inspiron 2500. Turn over the computer
and tighten the screws. They sometimes get loose from the heat and
cause keyboard problems.

Carol

I tried tightening the screws but it did not help. Thanks anyway.

Old November 13th 03, 02:30 AM
Bob Teodosio

"Carol" wrote in
link.net:

"Bob Teodosio" wrote in message
. 136...
The keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 2500 is unresponsive when I try to
type anything in. I called Dell Support and they suggested a new
keyboard assembly. I am not sure this is a hardware problem. Is
there anyway I could have locked up the keyboard (key combo) so that
nothing appears? I ran Norton virus scan and no virus shows up.

I have had that problem on my Inspiron 2500. Turn over the computer
and tighten the screws. They sometimes get loose from the heat and
cause keyboard problems.

Carol

I tried tightening up the screws but it did not help. Thanks anyway.
Old November 13th 03, 02:27 PM
Christopher Muto

keyboard do go bad, but it does seem odd for it to be completely dead.
the replacement part is pretty cheap and easy. here are instructions on how
to do it (be sure to remove the battery and ac adapter first and then hold
the the power on button for 10 seconds first)
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...ve.htm#1050841
you could simply try to reinstall the existing keyboard to see if there is
any improvement or you could try connecting an external keyboard to the
system (when powered off) to see if it isn't some larger problem. i assume
that the system works fine when manipulated with the mouse so it really is
just a keyboard issue? i wonder if this isn't the result of installing
recent software on this system... can you boot to safe mode or dos to test
the keyboard??

Old November 14th 03, 02:36 PM
Robert Teodosio

Cannot boot to safe mode because when I F8 on bootup it brings me to the
screen with the "normal bootup highlighted" and I cannot toggle up to "safe
mode" because the "arrow keys" do not work. I ordered a keyboard assembly
and hopefully this will fix the problem. I will let you know.

Old November 15th 03, 01:48 AM
Rob Teodosio

New keyboard assembly arrived today and I installed it and lo and behold it
fixed the problem. I still can't believe that a keyboard can go dead just
like that. I really believed it wasn't a hardware problem.