Digital Radio

Old August 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Mescalito

why not listen over the internet Dave? I listen to five live and
sports extra with no problems whilst working/playing.

Its what i do at the moment but there are a few reasons i want a dedicated
card, the PCI card would be for listening to the radio when im working on
my pc, as my connection is 56k it doesnt particular cope very well if i
suddenly have to send or check email while listening to radio, secondly I
thought with a Digi radio card i would have a lot more choice with regards
to stations and the content, but thirdly and this for me is a big one for
me, is so many online radio stations seem to use realplayer to stream with,
which i absolutely hate, i hate the way its huge in size for what it does,
i hate the way at times it doesnt install or uninstall properly i hate the
way it steals various extensions from media player and others, basically
whenever it feels like it, so at the moment i have to live with stations
that broadcast using a WMP stream, which limits my choice even more (

All fair comments. I hate real player too, its just nasty. Using BBC
sites you can usually open stations in media player (look for the bit
that says "use stand alone media player"). If you use the radio
player guide in media player there is quite a good selection of
stations that mostly open within media player (quality not always
great). Dial up is the main prob i guess, it always used to cut out
on me before I got a faster connection. Good luck finding a digi
card. Let us know if you get one.
Old August 15th 04, 08:56 PM
Dave

wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:20:25 +0100, "Dave" wrote:

"hugh.w.p" wrote in message

"lordy" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave" wrote in
:

Thanks for that, lordy, but i really want a card for my PC see I

can
Listen to the Radio as I work, I realise I could do the Same with

Freeview box, but if the misses wants to watch tele..

You can get Freeview cards too BTW. But double check that Freeview

Radio
is
better than DAB. This is something I just came across and didnt have

time
to verify...

Reception may be an issue.

If you got a freeview card you could also watch TV

--
Lordy
I understand DAB is superior quality to Freeview radio. Athough is

I thought DAB was broadcasted virtually nation wide

Nope. There are still large chunks of the UK without decent coverage.
For example, here in the middle of fat cat Sussex, I struggle to get a
decent DAB signal. Some portable radios simply don't connect.

The BBC is filling the holes but slowly. Their progress with DAB makes
BT's introduction of broadband look like greased lightning.

I had a listen to a friend of a friends portable DAB radio today and in my
local area it seemed absolutely fine, i dont expect cd like quality but IMO
it sounded better then regular FM so all appears rosie for me )
Ive also spoke to a few people (i know) and others, also about freeview,
amazingly the bloke in currys (yes currys of all places!!!) appeared to be
quite honest, and even said they had a lot of people in the town that just
cant get reception no matter what has been tried not good to hear, but
at least he was honest (yeah amzing a currys staff member with knowledge,
honesty and he didnt try to flog me sky) it seems you can get freeview but
it appears in my local area you need a top notch all singing, dancing
aerial, not something im interested in considering......50 quid for the
box, god knows how much for a new aerial plus installation IMO for me its
not worth the hassle or effort to get essentially a few extra BBC channels
and a bit of radio, so the DAB radio card thing is what i have settled for,
now to find one of the buggers ;D

Old August 15th 04, 09:00 PM
Dave

"Mescalito" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Some stations are stream fine but at a low Kbps rate, others like you say
cut in and out, i hope i can find a digi radio card, as i think for me its
the ideal answer, if i find one ill be sure to let the group know opinions
on it and the company i order from, again though anyone that may be reading
and knows a good place to order one please post and let me know.

Old August 16th 04, 05:37 AM
Dave

"lordy" wrote in message
.. .
(Mescalito) wrote in
om:

[...]

There is something called RealAlternative that lets you use WMP ?

yep, again though it has a habbit of stealing WMP extensions, its also far
from perfect with regards to its functionality

Not sure if you have to install RP though.

dont think you do with RP, you can also get the same type of prog (media
player classic) for quicktime, however quicktime does have to be installed
(i think) again its hardly ideal, but thanks for pointing it out lordy, the
more suggestions the better )

Old August 16th 04, 09:27 AM

Dave wrote:
wrote in message
snip......
Go and take a look www.wolfbane.co.uk and click on "UK digital TV
reception predictor", that may give you a more realistic prediction
(or maybe that's where you looked).

Thanks, checked that out and it says that I probably need a Amplified extra
hi-gain aerial ( so its probably unlikely ill get decent reception....may

I think that's what it says for us, and we don't need an amplified
aerial, just a high gain one - and it's in the loft.

--
Chris Green
Old August 16th 04, 12:39 PM
Dave

wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
wrote in message
snip......
Go and take a look www.wolfbane.co.uk and click on "UK digital TV
reception predictor", that may give you a more realistic prediction
(or maybe that's where you looked).

Thanks, checked that out and it says that I probably need a Amplified

extra
hi-gain aerial ( so its probably unlikely ill get decent

reception....may

I think that's what it says for us, and we don't need an amplified
aerial, just a high gain one - and it's in the loft.

Have done further checking since, and its not available in my area without
a major aerial upgrade (

--
Chris Green