Sideband Addressing how do i turn it off on my 9600 Pro.

Old October 2nd 03, 03:40 AM

Default Sideband Addressing how do i turn it off on my 9600 Pro.

In your motherboard BIOS, set your "AGP Data Transfer Mode" to
"2X". If that doesn't work, "DISABLE" "AGP Fast Write" and all
other performance settings for your AGP. Also set your memory
performance settings to the most conservative. Make sure your
memory DDR voltage is set to 2.5v (if you use DDR memory type).

Daniel Martinez.

We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote:

All the softeware i have tried has crashed my PC ?

Also not option to turn it off in my Mobo bios

Thanks for any help.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:44 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Its not making games crash.

I just want it OFF, but i can't turn it off wont let me, i tried
powerstrip and RivaTuner, both crashed the same way.

Knocks me back to 640 by 480 res, gives me this nice message saying i
DID a bad thing and i'am in 4 bit colour by then

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:52:09 GMT, "Sleepy Ben"
wrote:

side band addressing wouldnt cause all your games to crash - what other
options have you tried so far ?
e.g. enabling fast-writes would make your PC unstable.
thats why you have that option disabled in bios and drivers.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:46 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

I think my DDR mem is at 2.8 volts.

Ill try that and then try to turn it off see what happens then.

I can turn fastwrites off no probs, SBA AHHHHHHHH.

Never had any trouble turning it off on my GF3 Ti 200.

Just another ATI thing.

Old October 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
Skid

Pardon me for asking, but why do you want to turn it off? It's a big part of
the AGP performance equation, and if it ain't broke ...

Old October 3rd 03, 04:19 AM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

On Nvidia cards it was a BAD thing.

On ATI is it a good thing ??

Maybe you can't turn it off thats prob my problem.

How about Fastwrites on or off ??

Thanks.

Old October 3rd 03, 04:55 PM
Skid

Yes, sidebanding is a good thing ;)

Go to start/run and type SMARTGART. That brings up a test applet that will
check to see whether your motherboard prperly supports Fast Wrties (and a
bunch of other stuff.) It will automatically choose the ones that work best.

On my old Abit KT7A-RAID with a VIA chipset, SMARTGART disabled Fast Writes
even though it was turned on in the bios and passed the test. I could enable
it manually, and found that it worked fine at stock speeds but would lock up
3DMark 2001 when the fsb was overclocked even slightly (which also OCs the
AGP bus on the board.)

On my new Abit IC7 with an Intel chipset, SMARTGART enables Fast Writes and
I have no such problems, even though I'm using the same Radeon 9500, modded
to 9700 and clocked to Pro specs.

Basically every system is different, and SMARTGART is an attempt to
customize the settings to guarantee stability.