Intel and the way they misrepresented VT technology

Old April 8th 10, 11:56 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default Intel and the way they misrepresented VT technology

Intel Guy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Intel has produced marketing documents that outright lie about
which chips have VT functionality.

Can you provide links to the data sheets on the Intel website
which indicate VT support which is missing?

A year or so ago we bought several Q8200 Quad-cores on the basis that
several Intel on-line marketing documents and charts indicated they were
VT capable. It turned out that they weren't. Some (or many?) cpu
vendors also incorrectly identified which CPU's had VT.

We are only discussing Intel here, I don't know of any "several CPU vendors" who
make x86 processors, and I doubt that AMD would make false claims about the ones
Intel makes.

If I wasn't clear, can you show any official Intel claim in a spec sheet or
other document created by or for Intel, which makes this false claim?

If you do some web-searches using keywords like "intel q8200 VT" you'll
see a few examples in various forums (etc) where people are asking if
the q8200 has VT because it's not clear (or it wasn't at the time) if it
did or not.

Try doing a search for "alien abduction" and you will find a lot of stuff, but
none of it is from the official alien web sites.

Example:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/...B5.n ode5COMS

This is a user post, having something posted by a user in a forum is hardly an
official "Intel claimed" document. There's lots of crap on the web.

---------
Mar 2, 2009 10:58 AM in response to: Jan Van Damme
Does the Q8300 support Virtualization Technology

I am none too happy with Intel as I just purchased a Q8200 after reading
intels website which said all Quad core processors support VT??
-----------

Apparently the Q8300 didn't support VT either - but the above thread
indicates that Intel was going to add it to the Q8300. I believe there
are now 2 different version of the 8300 - with and without VT. What a
****ing mess Intel made of this VT bull****.

It's important for people that want to run apps on Windows 7 in XP
compatibility mode.

The web page mentioned on that link is no longer available on Intel:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces.../core2quad.htm

This vendor is indicating that the 8200 has VT:

http://www.oneshop.co.za/r~intel-cpu...ad-lga775.html

On this page:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ore-quad-q8000

One of the comments is this:

-----------
no VT, TXT?

this contradicts the Intel slide that's been roaming the web and that
you published a couple of days ago.

in the slide there's VT and TXT supported... so what is it?
-----------

I don't know what the "
" is supposed to denote in the above
comment.

Then there are comments like this:

----------
VT and TXT useless for average Joes

Which is before Windows 7 and it's reliance on VT for XP-mode was known.

The material you posted (below) seems to indicate that vendors
are doing this, and failing to enable features in the BIOS.

I'm sure that any bios issues can be remedied by updating the bios.

But any computer that has a non-VT cpu is toast unless you change the
cpu.

Microsoft wouldn't be doing this unless there were a lot of computers
out there where the buyers believed they were VT-capable in-silicon.