Best "value" SSD upgrade drive for Dell Mini 9?

Old February 20th 09, 12:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Best "value" SSD upgrade drive for Dell Mini 9?

Bought a Dell Mini 9 with 8 gig drive and Win XP Home

I don't need a ton of drive space but need more than 8
gig

Where is the "sweet spot" as far as most SSD drive
space for the dollar?

And what brand would you buy?
Old February 20th 09, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike Marquis[_2_]

wrote in message
Bought a Dell Mini 9 with 8 gig drive and Win XP Home

I don't need a ton of drive space but need more than 8
gig

Where is the "sweet spot" as far as most SSD drive
space for the dollar?

And what brand would you buy?

Why no just get an SD card? I think most netbooks have a slot. If not that
use a USB thumb drive.

Mike

Old February 20th 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Mike Marquis" wrote:

Why no just get an SD card? I think most netbooks have a slot. If not that
use a USB thumb drive.

Will an SD card let me run app's off it?
Old February 20th 09, 07:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

it is hard to say. for instance these two have user comments saying they
are too long to fit in a mini 9....
i don't know of any aftermarket drives that do fit the mini 9.

Old February 20th 09, 10:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

This is the cheapset 32 gig I found

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solid...igitalssd.html

John

.. .

Old February 20th 09, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
typed on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:46:43 -0500:

wrote in message
Bought a Dell Mini 9 with 8 gig drive and Win XP Home

I don't need a ton of drive space but need more than 8
gig

Where is the "sweet spot" as far as most SSD drive
space for the dollar?

And what brand would you buy?

Careful! That is a MLC SSD! They are *so* slow at writing. If you care
about writing speed and performance, you want a SLC SSD.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old February 20th 09, 02:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike Marquis

Ah! Yeah it might be problematic running apps off of it. But it is an
cheap/easy test. Just install the app in the advanced mode. I think they
still allow you the choice of where to put it, although some working files
may insist on being somewhere on C:.

Seems like XP needs less than 4 Gig for a simple install, so you still have
4 or so for other apps. I thought it was data storage you were worrieed
about. My bad.

Mike

Old February 20th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Mike Marquis typed on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:26:26 -0600:

wrote in message
"Mike Marquis" wrote:

Why no just get an SD card? I think most netbooks have a slot. If
not that use a USB thumb drive.

Will an SD card let me run app's off it?

Actually with the free driver called "Hitachi microdrive filter"
installed, it will see your flash drives as fixed drives and no
applications will have a problem installing there. For more info, see
P_D post in the link below:

http://www.usbhacks.com/forums/viewt...26073dd 5e90b

I had used it for months and it does work. Although I didn't like the
idea of never pulling out the flash drive while the OS was running. Plus
they say the "Hitachi microdrive filter" also slows down the performance
of the flash drive. Although I don't recall that, but maybe. As I quit
using it long before I heard about this side affect.

And about space, Windows XP Home installs in 2.7GB. And I have no big
problem of keeping the OS and applications down to 5.5GB with my 8GB
SSD. My 4GB SSD this task is a bit tougher and I keep those down to
3.5GB.

There are some people who have claimed they had stripped down their
Windows XP down to under 500MB. I find this interesting, but not
interesting enough because that means they only have a part of the
Windows XP OS installed. Something I don't think I could live with.

Old February 20th 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Mike Marquis" wrote:

I thought it was data storage you were worrieed
about. My bad.

No problem

No I need application space. I'm already at 7 gig on
the 8 gig drive!
Old February 20th 09, 07:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

This is the cheapset 32 gig I found

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solid...igitalssd.html

Did you buy it and install it in your Mini 9?

If yes, are you happy with it?