Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

Old October 24th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Default Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

Tomcat (Tom) wrote
Mike T. wrote

Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred
once. There is no procedure to work-around this restriction.

Believe me, there will be work-arounds.

There will have to be, particularly in countrys where that scam is illegal.

Even MS aint actually stupid enough to try to flout the law on that sort of thing.

MS will be lenient on the one-transfer restriction.

They get no choice in most countrys legally.

I'm sure you will have to call a number and jump through a few hoops
but eventually you will be able to get it reactivated. MS is just trying to
put some road bumps in the road to try to discourage casual piracy.

And doing the usual, attempting to bluff the legally pig ignorant.

MS has been doing that for many years, most obviously
with the claim that you cant move an OEM version from the
hardware it was supplied with. Thats illegal in most countrys.

Old October 24th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Tomcat (Tom)" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Many countries (Russia, China, and Brazil) do not even have
intellectual property law. Countries that have IP law just look
the other way. They all use Microsoft products for free, the
exact same products we pay for.

China and Russia are starting to enforce IP laws though.

Difficult to enforce laws that don't even exist.

Especially as these countries themselves begin to innovate and
need such laws to protect their own products.

We're talking about a company Microsoft that has a stranglehold on
the desktop personal computer software market.

Yeah global economy growing pains. Poor countries reap the
benefits while Americans get sqeezed, especially the middle class.
We are subsidizing the growth of the rest of the world until the
rest of the world catches up and can afford to start paying for
some of the burden.

Reducing our standard of living isn't necessary to increase the
third world's standard of living.

Old October 25th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Wrong. I myself called Microsoft's Licencing department and talked to them.
They said that upgrades to the SAME computer that Vista was orignally
installed on will be handled just like it was for XP. They said that for
example you could replace the motherboard in the computer as many times as
needed without having to repurchase Vista. You would simply have to call
into Microsoft's OS Activation phone number and they would ask you a series
of questions and then they would reactivate your Vista copy.
Lots of mistaken info floating around the web.

--
DaveW

----------------
"ToolPackinMama" wrote in message
. ..
Comments?

Old October 25th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

As if anything you hear over the phone from Microsoft holds
Microsoft in check. Bigwig lawyers can't even tell what
Microsoft means.

"DaveW" somewhere zero.org wrote:

Wrong. I myself called Microsoft's Licencing department and
talked to them. They said that upgrades to the SAME computer that
Vista was orignally installed on will be handled just like it was
for XP. They said that for example you could replace the
motherboard in the computer as many times as needed without having
to repurchase Vista. You would simply have to call into
Microsoft's OS Activation phone number and they would ask you a
series of questions and then they would reactivate your Vista
copy. Lots of mistaken info floating around the web.

--
DaveW

----------------
"ToolPackinMama" laura lauragoodwin.org wrote in message
news:lemdnRJzpOPoFKDYnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d comcast.com...
Comments?

From: "DaveW" somewhere zero.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:05:11 -0700

Old October 25th 06, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Default Vista licence: PART 2

In my previous REPLY, I neglected to point out that Microsoft's Licensing
department stated that repeated replacing of things like motherboards in
self built computers is ALLOWED under the same copy of Vista in the original
computer ONLY IF YOU PAID FOR AND INSTALLED A FULL_PRICE RETAIL COPY of
Vista. They will not reactivate OEM versions after ONE ALLOWED motherboard
replacement.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old October 25th 06, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crispy Critter

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:05:11 -0700, DaveW wrote:

Wrong. I myself called Microsoft's Licencing department and talked to them.
They said that upgrades to the SAME computer that Vista was orignally
installed on will be handled just like it was for XP. They said that for
example you could replace the motherboard in the computer as many times as
needed without having to repurchase Vista. You would simply have to call
into Microsoft's OS Activation phone number and they would ask you a series
of questions and then they would reactivate your Vista copy.
Lots of mistaken info floating around the web.

That's not what the Vista EULA says. The mistaken info comes directly from
the Vista EULA.
Old October 25th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Crispy Critter wrote
DaveW wrote

Wrong. I myself called Microsoft's Licencing department and talked
to them. They said that upgrades to the SAME computer that Vista was
orignally installed on will be handled just like it was for XP.
They said that for example you could replace the motherboard in the
computer as many times as needed without having to repurchase Vista.
You would simply have to call into Microsoft's OS Activation phone
number and they would ask you a series of questions and then they
would reactivate your Vista copy.
Lots of mistaken info floating around the web.

That's not what the Vista EULA says.

Wrong. There is no conflict between that statement above and the Vista EULA.

The mistaken info comes directly from the Vista EULA.

Wrong again. Its silent on that question of a replacement motherboard.

And legally they havent got a leg to stand on anyway, regardless of the EULA.

Old October 25th 06, 05:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

DaveW wrote:
In my previous REPLY, I neglected to point out that Microsoft's
Licensing department stated that repeated replacing of things like
motherboards in self built computers is ALLOWED under the same copy
of Vista in the original computer ONLY IF YOU PAID FOR AND INSTALLED
A FULL_PRICE RETAIL COPY of Vista. They will not reactivate OEM
versions after ONE ALLOWED motherboard replacement.

They cant do that last legally. As they will find out.

ToolPackinMama wrote

Comments?

Old October 25th 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

Same Guy wrote:
If I do switch to Vista, it may be 5 years
from now after someone has figured out how to hack it to bits. ^^

LOL ::highfive!::
Old October 25th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

JAD wrote:

you guys just don't get it....... MS will be long gone, computers will be
appliances.......OS will be free and on a chip that you plug into ANY
machine

Yeah, yeah. Gimmee my robot slave, and flying car.