Another Bad Experience at PC World

Old July 30th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
CJB

Default Another Bad Experience at PC World

After reseraching I wanted a Toshiba G30 laptop. Arranged via Internet
banking for enough funds to pay cash for it. Went to PC World - a big
store (but stangely empty of customers) - and waited forever - as usual
- for any attention, but then got a junior member of staff. It must
have been his first day 'cos he knew NOTHING about laptops and nothing
about the G30. Anyway eventually we got around to making up my purchase
list (Nortons, MS Office, G30 Laptop, etc.) when it came to finance.
****, he wanted confirmation of my home address - I had my credit card
and passport, but no he wanted my address - a bill would suffice. But I
didn't have one; he said that in that case I couldn't have the laptop.
Doh!!! But wait a minute why did I have to provide my address - I was
paying by cash. The manager sorted this out. We all sat down at the
desk again. Then it came to actually paying. I gave him my credit card
(actually a Nationwide Flexaccount Debit Card with a VISA symbol on
it). I suggested that he contacted VISA to make sure the total amount
was on my card (actually it was well in credit - I'd made sure of that)
- and that I wouldn't break my daily limit. Then he swiped it through
the order computer. I might add at this stage I had been in the shop a
full two hours. I hadn't been impressed with his knowledge of laptops -
when I'd asked him what else I needed to know about purchasing same he
hadn't a clue and could only suggest a mouse? Eh? Anyway the ordering
computer then decided that my card was not suitable to make a purchase.
Apparently they wanted a credit card not a debit card. I don't do
credit cards (like I don't do direct debit) I prefer to pay upfront.
But no - PC World isn't geared up for direct payments - in cash. At
this point I'd wasted 2.5 hours and they were interested in
accommodating my wishes. So I shall now go elsewhere. I had been warned
that PC World was trouble - with incompetant salemen (I must have had
the worst), little interest in helpiong customers, etc. I hate to think
of what had happened if I'd purchased the damned laptop and then had to
take it back to be serviced at some stage. No wonder the shop was
nearly empty of customers. I SHALL NEVER GO TO PC WORLD AGAIN. CJB.

Old July 30th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Krustov

uk.comp.vendors
CJB
30 Jul 2006 12:31:14 -0700
.com

Apparently they wanted a credit card not a debit card. I don't do
credit cards (like I don't do direct debit)

Do you mean you dont use two of the most common and accepted methods of
payment that the vast majority of people dont have any problem with ? .

--
Encrypted email address
www.emailuser.co.uk/?name=KRUSTOV
Old July 30th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
CJB

Looks like PC World actually did me a BIG favour:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~463

Wont touch Toshiba with a barge pole either.

CJB.

Old July 30th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Trev

"CJB" wrote in message
ps.com...
Looks like PC World actually did me a BIG favour:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~463

Wont touch Toshiba with a barge pole either.

CJB.

The HDD on my tosh broke just before Easter Was reported Wednesday collected
Thursday and repaired and returned Tuesday. Being a bank holiday Not bad.
So how was a debit card cash. And a Tosh comes with Norton ( I was quick to
deleted it)

Old July 30th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Bob Eager

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:42:56 UTC, Krustov wrote:

uk.comp.vendors
CJB
30 Jul 2006 12:31:14 -0700
.com

Apparently they wanted a credit card not a debit card. I don't do
credit cards (like I don't do direct debit)

Do you mean you dont use two of the most common and accepted methods of
payment that the vast majority of people dont have any problem with ? .

Rather like PC World don't use the other two common and accepted
methods, you mean?

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old July 31st 06, 01:26 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Carl

A colleague of mine had a Toshiba laptop that kept breaking. He was telling
one of the other blokes at work how some computer guy had told him to pour
tea over it to fry it and then get a new one off the house insurance! I told
him that that was a risky thing to do to a live computer. Funny he said, I
had told him it would be fine and that 2 cuppas was the optimum amount. Must
have had a memory lapse because I don't recall saying this! Now he has a
Compaq, and is quite happy with it.

Old July 31st 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Stuart

On 30 Jul 2006 12:31:14 -0700, "CJB" wrote:

[...]

Do they display the VISA symbol as being accepted ?.I have used my Abbey Debit
card at PC World and it has a VISA logo on it ( and a DELTA symbol) .In fact I
have used it in loads of places so I don't see why PC World should have caused
you a problem .I also see no reason why you suggested checking with Visa that
you had sufficient credit .It would either have been authorised or refused
elctronically surely .Do you have a daily limit on a debit card .??? First I
have heard of it .Either you have the dosh or you do not . I have bought a £1500
car on mine .Admittedly the dealer had to phone for authorisation because of the
amount and I had to speak to them to verify direct debits etc as proff that I
was the account holder but it WAS authorised in a couple of minutes .

Stuart
Old July 31st 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Rob S

On 30 Jul 2006 12:31:14 -0700, "CJB" wrote:

- But wait a minute why did I have to provide my address - I was
-paying by cash. The manager sorted this out. We all sat down at the
-desk again

Ah that was your mistake. Once they refused to accept your cash... out you walk.

Sorry I didn't read the rest of your post - a bit daunting with no breaks. Hoep
it worked out well.

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old July 31st 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
TimB

Trev wrote:

"CJB" wrote in message
ps.com...
Looks like PC World actually did me a BIG favour:

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~463

Wont touch Toshiba with a barge pole either.

CJB.

The HDD on my tosh broke just before Easter Was reported Wednesday collected
Thursday and repaired and returned Tuesday. Being a bank holiday Not bad.
So how was a debit card cash. And a Tosh comes with Norton ( I was quick to
deleted it)

Seconded - fried graphics card on my two year old M200 (which spent a
good year of it's life on full power 24/7) was collected within a day
and returned with a new, upgraded mobo inside a week. Excellent bit of
kit.

Old July 31st 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Tx2

"Rob S" wrote in message

Sorry I didn't read the rest of your post - a bit daunting with no breaks.
Hoep
it worked out well.

It didn't.