Celeron frequency setting?

Old May 22nd 04, 07:58 PM
SleeperMan

Default Celeron frequency setting?

I just got a PC from a friend to sort out a bit. At bootup it showed Intel
Celeron 2.2G. I went into BIOS, set FSB to 133 (before it was just FSB
control disabled, nothing about current frequency). Now at start it shows
Celeron 2.93 G and below DRAM frequency 354 MHz. In BIOS RAM freq is set to
133/266 . MOBO is Gigaset GA-8PE800 Ultra.

After more than half hour of work(like defrag, working with disc, sorting
etc), temp is 41 degrees, so it's not overheating.
IS this setting correct ?
THX

Old May 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
BigBadger

The default FSB frequency for the Celeron should be 100MHz....therefore by
setting it to 133 you have made a 33% overclock to both the CPU and
Memory....as long as it works stable be happy!!!

Old May 22nd 04, 08:27 PM
SleeperMan

BigBadger typed:

The default FSB frequency for the Celeron should be
100MHz....therefore by setting it to 133 you have made a 33%
overclock to both the CPU and Memory....as long as it works stable be
happy!!!

Aaaa...I didn't know that Celeron uses 100 MHZ and not 133. I thought that
all modern CPU's use 133...
So, in long term, it's still better to go back to 100...

Thanks!

Old May 22nd 04, 10:38 PM
BigBadger

As long as it's stable and the temps are ok just leave it at 133....it's an
extra 730Mhz for free!...that's what overclocking is all about

Old May 22nd 04, 11:57 PM
Phil Weldon

Is this setting correct? Only if you want to overclock. You have set the
FSB speed to 33% above normal, giving a 33% greater CPU clock speed,
something that is fairly easy to do with almost any Intel Pentium CPU that
isn't already pushing the limits of the type (for example, a Pentium III 1
GHz is going to be difficult to get 33% higher because it is already the
top of that particular line.) It is not the standard setting, but most
people in this newsgroup would do it in a heartbeat (or clock cycle.0

The 41 degree C temperature (if that is the temperature reading from the CPU
on-die thermal diode) is well within the limits of the operating range of
the Celeron 2.2, but be aware that CPU usage is not particularly intense
when there is a lot of disk activity, because the limit is disk I/O speed
rather than CPU availablity. A better check for stability under CPU
stressful conditions is ripping an mp3 file from a music CD.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

Old May 23rd 04, 07:19 AM
SleeperMan

BigBadger typed:

As long as it's stable and the temps are ok just leave it at
133....it's an extra 730Mhz for free!...that's what overclocking is
all about

Well, sure, if it would be mine...maybe ill ask him about it. PC is still
under warranty and i don't want to die and then i'll take the blaim...

BigBadger typed:

Old May 23rd 04, 07:21 AM
SleeperMan

Phil Weldon typed:

[...]

Temp is from BIOS PC Health screen after rebooting. I'll try some heavy CPU
usage for a while and see. MP3 sounds perfect.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:05 AM
Phil Weldon

CPU's cool off VERY quickly, after all, a heatsink is used. The better the
heatsink and the contact between the heatsink and the CPU, the faster
cool-off. Maybe you can use MotherBoard Monitor to get the readings from
the CPU on-chip thermal diode during operation; all Pentium and Celeron
CPU's have the on-chip thermal diodes, but the motherboard must have a
monitoring chip. If the temperature appears a BIOS screen, then there is a
monitoring chip; MotherBoard Monitor can work with almost any monitoring
chip.

Old May 23rd 04, 01:04 PM
SleeperMan

Phil Weldon typed:

CPU's cool off VERY quickly, after all, a heatsink is used. The
better the heatsink and the contact between the heatsink and the CPU,
the faster cool-off. Maybe you can use MotherBoard Monitor to get
the readings from the CPU on-chip thermal diode during operation; all
Pentium and Celeron CPU's have the on-chip thermal diodes, but the
motherboard must have a monitoring chip. If the temperature appears
a BIOS screen, then there is a monitoring chip; MotherBoard Monitor
can work with almost any monitoring chip.

Good point. I'll do that. THX

Old May 24th 04, 04:17 AM
Augustus

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
I just got a PC from a friend to sort out a bit. At bootup it showed Intel
Celeron 2.2G. I went into BIOS, set FSB to 133 (before it was just FSB
control disabled, nothing about current frequency). Now at start it shows
Celeron 2.93 G and below DRAM frequency 354 MHz. In BIOS RAM freq is set

133/266 . MOBO is Gigaset GA-8PE800 Ultra.

After more than half hour of work(like defrag, working with disc, sorting
etc), temp is 41 degrees, so it's not overheating.
IS this setting correct ?
THX

Should be 100Mhz....not 133Mhz. If it was your own system , go ahead and
leave it like that. Might be OK indefinitely, might last a few months or a
year or two. I rarely ever overclock other's systems due to the simple fact
that you're responsible for any instability and shortened component life.
Overclocking a Celeron is like polishing a turd. Even when it's done, it's
still a turd. A 2.0Ghz P4 Prescott will outperform that Celeron running at
2.93Ghz.