Using a DELL 2600 PowerEdge as a Desktop PC

Old May 16th 14, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Using a DELL 2600 PowerEdge as a Desktop PC

On Thu, 15 May 2014 15:41:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Anyway,

I now have to go into BIOS and under "Integrated Devices" chang
"Embedded RAID Controller" from "Off" to "SCSI". (The "RAID" option
causes a warning that data will be lost).

This allows me to boot as far as the Windows 2000 Server splash
screen:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps5bd0f4cc.jpg,

Followed

by a "Inaccessible Boot Device" blue screen which I can't get past:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps9b47479a.jpg
(The blue screen tells me to run CHKDSK /F, but I'm not worried about
that).

I'm

going to have to use the floppy drive and F6 to install whatever
drivers I need to.

Now,

outside of needing drivers for the Adaptec SCSI card, since I want to
discard the Windows Server 2000 install on the boot drive and install
Windows XP instead, do I need an Windows XP SCSI driver for just the
"C" drive or all hard drives?

--
Looks like your drivers at the bottom link. The controller card
(Adaptec) drivers take to relate to Windows what's connected, and

Yea...I wouldn't wanna screw with a corporate NT-setup box being
farmed out for peanuts or parts.

(It's like $10 on sale for a decent new PCI SATA controller, dual port
maybe external SATA port out "via pin- internal disable one port," on
NewEgg. Maybe the BIOS will provide for a boot, maybe not. On down
the road, or as long as you're flush with SCSI drives...cool;- if not,
they're not going to be near as easily to replace as P/SATA storage
media & bi-directional converters if need be - $6 shipped in from
China off Ebay, provided the extra room at end-drive connections. Just
saw a sweet little deal on the cutest new Western Digital 320G in 2.5"
formfactor for $29. Great reputation with laptop users, no rebate,
inc/ship -- TigerDirect or Fry, probably.)

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...160/asc-39160/

Seagate ST336607LC-REF 36gb u320 10k 80-PIN
by Seagate
Price: $38.12 & FREE Shipping
Internal SCSI
20GB to 36GB