What is an Intel "Atom N510" CPU?

Old January 29th 10, 06:48 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default What is an Intel "Atom N510" CPU?

I looked at the official Intel spec sheet at
http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm
and found a "Z510" which is low power single core, and "D510" high power dual core.
Old January 29th 10, 11:15 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Jan 29, 1:48*pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I looked at the official Intel spec sheet at
* *http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm
and found a "Z510" which is low power single core, and "D510" high power dual core.

Google translation of the first link on the Google search
n510+site:intel.com yields the following:

"Secondly, the new, more energy-efficient Atom go with the new
chipset, so a bunch of "processor-chipset" consumes significantly less
energy and compared with the previous generation of markedly smaller
in size. Clock speeds are the same; Atom N450 is designed for
netbooks, N410 and N510 - for desktop computers, the last - Dual-
Core."

Robert
Old February 2nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Robert Myers wrote:
On Jan 29, 1:48 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I looked at the official Intel spec sheet at
http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ifications.htm
and found a "Z510" which is low power single core, and "D510" high power dual core.

Google translation of the first link on the Google search
n510+site:intel.com yields the following:

"Secondly, the new, more energy-efficient Atom go with the new
chipset, so a bunch of "processor-chipset" consumes significantly less
energy and compared with the previous generation of markedly smaller
in size. Clock speeds are the same; Atom N450 is designed for
netbooks, N410 and N510 - for desktop computers, the last - Dual-
Core."

The link to the "available products" table on the Intel site (from the first
post), and a search for a technical spec for the CPU on the Intel site don't
produce much. The last sentence about dual core leads me to think it is a better
D510 (from the table), but I'm trying to decide if netbooks with the N510 are
going to be better than the D510, or the 330. The 330 is only 8w, the original
D510 13w, if the N510 has markedly lower power drain that would result (could
result) in better battery life.

I'm making a choice for netbooks to be used in the field to gather data, and
more battery life is worth at least some price, the people using them are
unlikely to remember to use the car charger going from site to site.

Thanks for the research, at least I know what it is, even if I haven't yet found
the specs.
Old February 4th 10, 07:10 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Feb 2, 1:52*pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
[...]

If you can share anything substantive about your decision-making, I'd
appreciate it, especially if you happen to discover any actual facts,
which seem to be scarce in the available literature on atom in
general.

Robert.
Old February 15th 10, 09:56 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Robert Myers wrote:
On Feb 2, 1:52 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

I'm making a choice for netbooks to be used in the field to gather data, and
more battery life is worth at least some price, the people using them are
unlikely to remember to use the car charger going from site to site.

If you can share anything substantive about your decision-making, I'd
appreciate it, especially if you happen to discover any actual facts,
which seem to be scarce in the available literature on atom in
general.

I'm still looking, albeit in low priority mode.
Old February 21st 10, 11:39 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Zach[_3_]

"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
Robert Myers wrote:
On Feb 2, 1:52 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

I'm making a choice for netbooks to be used in the field to gather

data, and
more battery life is worth at least some price, the people using them

are
unlikely to remember to use the car charger going from site to site.

If you can share anything substantive about your decision-making, I'd
appreciate it, especially if you happen to discover any actual facts,
which seem to be scarce in the available literature on atom in
general.

I'm still looking, albeit in low priority mode.

What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabout!

What you should look at as wel is battery life. There are mini laptops with
a processor consuming less power, but have smaller batteries, so the gain is
none. The Samsung N150 has the better processor, is a treasure to look at,
but has keys that are placed close together. I am thinking of buying the
1005PE by Tosshiba, with keys far apart, 11 hour battery life and the better
processor, but with a glossy reflective display and made of cheap looking
shiny plastic.

Zach.

Old February 24th 10, 01:31 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Robert Myers wrote:
[...]

Made by who? The only 1005PE I know of is by ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...683&Tpk=1005pe
And to save looking for CPU specs:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...50&spec-codes=

Actually a pretty spiffy system, although the newer units with the dual core HT
CPU are going to be faster. But this has HT and integrated graphics, so it
should be a winner on battery life.