Packard Bell PB420 motherboard - BIOS error "cannot read/write to CMOS"

Old June 28th 06, 04:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Default Packard Bell PB420 motherboard - BIOS error "cannot read/write to CMOS"

Hello all,

I am working on an old Packard Bell for my grandmother. When I try to
start it, it gives a 1-1-3 BIOS beep code which, according to the
Phoenix BIOS code page, denotes a CMOS read/write failure. Is there
any way to reset the CMOS so that I can get it to boot?

Thanks,

Tim Griffin

Old June 28th 06, 04:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

A CMOS read/write failure is catastrophic. It says that the CMOS on the
motherboard is worn out, so the motherboard is history. Do your granny a favor
and do something with a newer computer than an ancient 486. Craigslist around
here (Boston) has plenty of newer computers being given away, or sold for really
cheap. A Pentium III computer is fairly modern, and even a Pentium II has a lot
more life in it than a 486... Ben Myers

Old June 28th 06, 05:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

I was afraid of that....

She's got a brand-spankin' new Compaq system, but this is the one she's
got all the family history and church stuff on. Guess it's time for me
to start transferring files...

Thanks for your help!

Tim

Old June 28th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

The easiest way to transfer files is to get an inexpensive USB-IDE kit. Remove
the drive from the PB420, attach it to the USB-IDE cable, apply power (usually a
separate power connector or power supply), then plug in to a USB port. The
drive will show up in the Compaq system with another drive letter, and off you
go... Ben Myers

Old June 28th 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

I was in Circuit City yesterday, and I saw complete external drive kits,
including external case, for around $40. You would install the drive inside.

You can probably find similar kits for less elesewhere, like eBay... Ben Myers

Old June 28th 06, 08:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

I've already got an external 5.25"/3.5" USB kit that I bought off of
Newegg several months ago, but the HD was old enough I had to drop it
in my box and manually transfer the files. I'm now trying to get a
5.25" floppy drive to work so I can try and recover all that stuff
also.

Thanks for your extended help!

Tim