AIT-3 ?

Old November 10th 03, 12:44 AM
Null

Default AIT-3 ?

any experience with AIT-3 tape ?

Old November 10th 03, 06:47 PM
Paul

Please name an application (HSM, backup or otherwise) that uses MIC. I'm
not saying that time to data for AIT isn't reasonably good, but to my
knowledge MIC is a little like a gall bladder at this point...

with it's MemoryInCassette technology making the average "time to data"
an amazing 17 seconds (if my memory serves me correctly) it's great for
near line storage in a single drive tabletop configuration

for library type applications it's not so great both capacity /

performance
or durability wise

Old November 11th 03, 01:17 AM
Null

thanks for the info

why do you say it is not great for performance or durability for library
applications ?

Old November 11th 03, 05:13 AM
Paul

Don't mean to speak for Andy, but it's unproven in data center apps. This
is highly debatable, but some think that helical scan type drives heads wear
more quickly than linear type. Performance-wise, AIT-3 is easily
outstripped by LTO-2 and SDLT technologies.

MIC is one of those things that's a great idea, but not generally
implemented in software. Most software companies shy away from writing apps
for specific hardware.

--paul

news

Old November 11th 03, 06:49 AM
Rob Turk

"Null" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
why is the MIC not used then ?

Because there's no universally accepted way of using the AIT MIC and it's
poorly documented. Legato can write entirely incompatible information to it
when compared to Veritas, TSM, or any other package. For most software
vendors it's yet another piece of information they would need to track,
support and check. With the market share for AIT, most software vendors
simply don't bother investing the time and resources to make use of the MIC.

Rob

Old November 11th 03, 06:58 AM
Rob Turk

"Andy" wrote in message

with it's MemoryInCassette technology making the average "time to data"
an amazing 17 seconds (if my memory serves me correctly) it's great for
near line storage in a single drive tabletop configuration

for library type applications it's not so great both capacity /

performance
or durability wise

Accellerators like MIC only makes sense in environments where a lot of
seconds access time is negligable on a device that's best suitable for a
stand-alone environment where an operator would insert a tape no more than
once every two hours.

Rob