Use of a KVM Switch?

Old August 2nd 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Use of a KVM Switch?

I want to connect an external 1TB USB hard drive to a KVM in order
that 2 machines can access that hard drive. Otherwise I have to
manually move the USB connector from machine to machine. I also would
like to connect a USB printer similarly instead of sharing it via XP.

Is this possible? Or am I dreaming?

I was hoping to buy a 2-port DVI KVM to do this, but I don't think I
am looking right. Anyone tell me of a KVM model to do the job?
Cheaper the better.

Thanks

Duke
Old August 2nd 09, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:05:55 -0400, Bryce
wrote:

Bad idea. Operating systems use write caching to speed up
the user experience. Hot switching that hard drive without
unmounting it risks data loss (everything still in the
cache). You can try to remember to unmount every time, or
maybe disable caching and live with laggy performance.

If your two computers aren't already networked together, it
is easily done. Then add a NAS device to your network and
plug the HD and printer into it.

Cheaper isn't always a good idea.

Bryce

I understand.

I tried a different approach. I connected my external hard drive to
USB on one machine and set it up for sharing of folders and files with
a share name. I had some same thing for other folders on this
machine's internal hard drive. When I tried to link to it from a
second machine using 'network places' it said I didn't have needed
permissions etc. This same linking to an internal folder that is also
shared works just fine. So, do you know what I need to do to allow
access to the external hard drive from a second machine via XP's
sharing scenario?

Thanks

Duke
Old August 2nd 09, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bryce[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I gave up on windows 6 years ago. I'm sure an XP user will
step up with the necessary magic.

Bryce

Old August 3rd 09, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MF[_2_]

Here you go:

http://www.simpletech.com/products/s.../simplenet.php

Not a KVM though, maybe that's what is messing up your search. Don't know about the printer, but since there are ethernet print servers, mfgrs may well have added USB. Don't search on KVM; search on NAS and print server respectively.

Let us know how well they work....

Old August 3rd 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MF[_2_]

wrote in message ...
I want to connect an external 1TB USB hard drive to a KVM in order
that 2 machines can access that hard drive. Otherwise I have to
manually move the USB connector from machine to machine. I also would
like to connect a USB printer similarly instead of sharing it via XP.

Is this possible? Or am I dreaming?

I was hoping to buy a 2-port DVI KVM to do this, but I don't think I
am looking right. Anyone tell me of a KVM model to do the job?
Cheaper the better.

Thanks

Duke

Forgot to ask: why not just share them over ethernet? If having trouble connecting to share, see he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089
Old August 6th 09, 07:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
PeeCee

wrote:

[...]

Turn on the Guest account on the machine hosting the USB drive.

Paul.