floppy drive does not appear in XP device manager

Old July 29th 09, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default floppy drive does not appear in XP device manager

who? wrote:
"Brian Cryer" not.here@localhost wrote in message
news
"who?" wrote in message
So .. I connected the IDE floppy drive's data and power cables and booted
up. Unfortunately the drive did not appear in device manager, or,of
course, not in My computer either.

This old floppy drive has something like 6 jumper setting, damned if I
know which should be set. It is set now as it was in the old computer.

Do I need to do something in the BIOS rather than set the jumpers?

Go to the BIOS and somewhere there you need to tell it that you have a
floppy drive attached at the type of floppy drive (almost certainly
1.44MB).

No idea about jumpers, I don't recall any on any of the floppy drives I've
used.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Thanks Brian, I'll take a look in the BIOS next time I am visiting this
computer.
Regarding the inclusion of jumpers on this FDD, it also has what looks very
much like a flywheel exposed on the PCB side. I don't remember seeing that
before, but it's along time since I bothered to look at an FDD. Maybe this
one is out of the ark!

Correct, that's just what it is, a flywheel
Old July 29th 09, 07:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

who? wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
news "who?" wrote in message
[...]

It's really an *IDE* floppy drive? I've seen internal zip drives that
use the IDE channel, but not a 1.44MB floppy drive. Depending on how the
cables are keyed you can actually plug a floppy drive into an IDE
channel, but it obviously will not work.

Good catch...
I missed the part where he said IDE

Maybe it's a zip drive or a floptical or LS-120

Maybe I am mistaken calling it an IDE floppy drive ... when what I mean is
it was connected to and is now connected to a motherboard that has none of
that SATA stuff. It definately is a floppy disk drive of the 1.44 MB
variety. There are many web pages which mention jumper settings on floppy
disk drives, but I have no idea of the manufacturer of this one as none of
what could have been identifying numbers turn up on a web search. .. I think
you guys will be right about the BIOS though ..

There shouldn't be any jumper on the floppy that *you* need to
configure. The only selector is if the drive is an A or B drive, and
that's done by the cable.

While I'm on about cables: if you still can't get the drive to show up
after setting your BIOS and double-checking your cable connection, try a
different cable. Maybe it's just a weird statistical thing, but almost
of the cables I have had "go bad" were floppy cables.
Old July 30th 09, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
edfair[_17_]

Floppy cable should have some wires separated and twisted between the
motherboard and drive, with the cut & twist on the floppy end.
Your 6 jumpers are for drive select and termination enable on an older
drive. But I haven't seen them in recent years.
You could enable "seek during post", whatever it is named in your BIOS,
to see if the drive selects and calibrates during POST.
There may be another setting in the CMOS to enable the FDC. This is
above and beyond the 4 selections for the drive itself.

Old August 6th 09, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
PeeCee

"who?" wrote in message
So .. I connected the IDE floppy drive's data and power cables and booted
up. Unfortunately the drive did not appear in device manager, or,of
course, not in My computer either.

This old floppy drive has something like 6 jumper setting, damned if I
know which should be set. It is set now as it was in the old computer.

Do I need to do something in the BIOS rather than set the jumpers?

Floppy drives use a 'floppy drive' cable not IDE:
See: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/confCable-c.html
A Floppy cable has 34 conductors, IDE has 40.

You do not state if it is a 5.25" or 3.5" floppy disk.

3.5" drives usually did not have any jumpers on them as they relied on the
twist in the cable to select A or B drive.
5.25" drives often had jumpers on them, the earlier the drive the more
jumpers, not necessarily related to drive ID.

The only other possibility is if it does have an IDE connector then it is
more likely a Zip or LS120 drive (100=MB)
These require drivers to be seen properly by Windows, and you will have to
refer to the manual for jumper settings.

Best
Paul.

Old August 6th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
who?

"PeeCee" wrote in message
"who?" wrote in message
So .. I connected the IDE floppy drive's data and power cables and booted
up. Unfortunately the drive did not appear in device manager, or,of
course, not in My computer either.

This old floppy drive has something like 6 jumper setting, damned if I
know which should be set. It is set now as it was in the old computer.

Do I need to do something in the BIOS rather than set the jumpers?

Floppy drives use a 'floppy drive' cable not IDE:
See: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/confCable-c.html
A Floppy cable has 34 conductors, IDE has 40.

Thanks for the clarification

You do not state if it is a 5.25" or 3.5" floppy disk.

IT's 3.5

3.5" drives usually did not have any jumpers on them as they relied on the
twist in the cable to select A or B drive.

There are two different and opposite cables in a Computer with two floppy
drives?

5.25" drives often had jumpers on them, the earlier the drive the more
jumpers, not necessarily related to drive ID.

The only other possibility is if it does have an IDE connector then it is
more likely a Zip or LS120 drive (100=MB)
These require drivers to be seen properly by Windows, and you will have to
refer to the manual for jumper settings.

Best
Paul.

It's definitely a 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive with jumper settings ..
It has two rows of 6 jumpers marked
0, 1, 2, 3, DS, DC, RY (7 labels next to 6 jumpers !?)
I, F, H, D, (I can't make out the others .. there seems to be more than 6
labels on this row also)
Three of the jumpers are set.
I have no manual for it, and the potential ID numbers at various places
don't turn up on he web. SO I can't identify it to find a manual for it.

It's only fit for the bin! or as a museum piece perhaps.
thanks to all for replies.