Backup Program With Push Architecture

Old February 7th 07, 04:43 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Will

Default Backup Program With Push Architecture

Is there a decent Windows based backup program that allows clients to push
their backups to a central server using an agent technolgy rather than
having the central server contact the distributed agents and pull the data?

The problem with the pull model is that you often end up having a shared
account with administrative access to each computer, which creates a
security hole. You also have an open server running on every computer that
can be potentially exploited by buffer overruns, or subject to other direct
attacks. In the push model you at least protect all of the remote
computers being backed up, and you can focus the protection efforts on the
one machine that is the server for the backups.

I'm trying to keep the cost under $3K with server and clients, for about 20
computers, but I want to identify packages with good security models first,
worry about cost later.

I would prefer to not use SMB since that opens up other access to the server
I don't want to deal with. I don't have enough drives at each computer
being backed up to stage data locally then migrate later over something like
SFTP using SCP, so I would prefer to first identify a decent agent based
backup technology.

--
Will

Old February 7th 07, 05:59 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Feb 6, 8:43 pm, "Will" wrote:
[...]

While I cant name any products that do this push scheme, I cant think
of any security holes with existing products that wouldnt have been
raised by real security experts... I think you may be assuming some
scenario to justify a different model.... in a push based scheme for
instance, how do these clients get corporate policies as to when they
need to push? Some dissemination of information may still be needed
and cause other issues...

Having each end server or client have local security can never be
circumvented.

I'd never want an unprotected machine pushing data to a central
server...

Sorry to not answer your question with a product, but I guess I'm
trying to point out that asking for a specific product architecture
because of a perceived problem may not be as ideal as letting the
product vendors figure out the correct solutions...

Dvy

Old February 7th 07, 07:37 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Will

wrote in message
ups.com...
While I cant name any products that do this push scheme, I cant think
of any security holes with existing products that wouldnt have been
raised by real security experts... I think you may be assuming some
scenario to justify a different model.... in a push based scheme for
instance, how do these clients get corporate policies as to when they
need to push? Some dissemination of information may still be needed
and cause other issues...

Once you have a connection, you can pass control and data equally. In a
model where a client contacts a central server, it authenticates the host,
possibly using the Kerberos ticket for the machine, and then the server can
pass back scheduling and other details. McAfee's managed virus service
uses a push model, where the client agents contact a central web server, to
obtain their configuration information as entered onto the web site by an
admin. That works like a charm.

Backup and intrusion detection agents that use domain accounts are among the
favorite methods of intrusions for hackers. Not only is such software
normally poorly written from the standpoint of security, but a little known
defect in the Windows OS architecture is that service account passwords are
stored *unencrypted* in a memory known as the LSA Secrets, and once you do a
buffer overflow on any service running in SYSTEM context, you can grab those
passwords and then use them to gain access to other machines. Refer for
example to pages 52 and 53 of the book "Protect Your Windows Network",
written by two Microsoft employees, who give an interesting hypothetical
account of a hack based on intrusion detection software using a shared
domain account. Those cited pages explain how the LSA Secrets are held in
memory unencrypted.

This defect is particularly hideous when they capture the backup account,
because quite often that user is granted membership to administrators group,
run as a service, and act as part of operating system user rights.

Having each end server or client have local security can never be
circumvented.

You are messing up different concepts. Are you talking about
authentication of the host? Are you talking about authentication of a
specific user? I don't remember making a proposal that either end of the
connection should have no security. Can you cite that back to me because I
don't think I said it.

What I did say is that I would rather have one server than having 100
servers. Servers are targets. Leaving open a port that anyone can
contact and play with creates just another opportunity for an exploit.

I'd never want an unprotected machine pushing data to a central
server...

Conclusion doesn't follow from premise. You cannot conclude that a machine
is unprotected because it pushes data. I wouldn't want unprotected
machines pushing data anywhere either. If I knew that premise about a
specific machine I wouldn't include it in the backup list until it was
secured.

The whole point of my wanting a different architecture for backup is that I
want the machines that push out their backups to be securable in the first
place. The reason they are unprotected is because they run too much buggy
software that exposes too many ports that any virus can patiently hack away
at. In a secure network, clients should not open up any *server* ports to
at all. When Microsoft administers Group Policy, it's the client that
grabs the information from the server, not the server that pushes to the
client.

Any architecture that uses an agent that opens a server port on client
machines turns that client into a server, and it is subject to attack that
cannot be protected by a firewall. You may prefer to protect 100 servers
used by one client on an end user network, but I would prefer to have one
well identified server and 100 clients.

--
Will

Old February 8th 07, 07:21 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Feb 6, 11:37 pm, "Will" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Will... a lot of your objections are well written... almost to the end
that you are a proponent of a particular product!

That said, let me ask a naive question... you claim servers are more
of targets... in my past experience with application attacks, I think
I can cite as many client problems as server problems... that is, I've
seen equally dumb client programs susceptible to buffer overruns... so
I'm not sure I buy the "clients are more secure than server" argument
as much as "better code is better period" argument and since no one
can guarantee code is bug free, I just rely on the end point security
gurus to do their best around the board.

I've personally in our 10,000 person company ever had a problem with
our backup s/w ... though we have had other serious security attacks
in other areas.... usually, in our IT dept we take the approach of "if
it aint broke, dont fix it":

Old February 8th 07, 06:49 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Will

wrote in message
oups.com...
Will... a lot of your objections are well written... almost to the end
that you are a proponent of a particular product!

If I could find the product and test it, I would probably become a proponent
of it. So far it is looking like using the native Windows backup and
designing a secured file server is going to be safer than what most vendors
in the backup area are offering.

That said, let me ask a naive question... you claim servers are more
of targets... in my past experience with application attacks, I think
I can cite as many client problems as server problems... that is, I've
seen equally dumb client programs susceptible to buffer overruns... so
I'm not sure I buy the "clients are more secure than server" argument
as much as "better code is better period" argument and since no one
can guarantee code is bug free, I just rely on the end point security
gurus to do their best around the board.

Sure, the most dangerous network in any company is the end user network,
well behind all the firewalls. You browse the wrong web site, pickup up a
Trojan, and then it goes on the hunt for other machines to control. So,
would you rather give that Trojan 10000 other targets or a few targets?
If the client machines are locked down and do not expose server ports, it
becomes much more difficult for the Trojan to spread.

I've personally in our 10,000 person company ever had a problem with
our backup s/w ... though we have had other serious security attacks
in other areas.... usually, in our IT dept we take the approach of "if
it aint broke, dont fix it":

I don't know your software or your company, but the question is how would
you know if the backup account on each machine was the method of intrusion
or not? From what I have seen in most companies, they spend time fighting
the fire after it happens, and they don't invest a lot of time asking
themselves if the design of things might contribute to future fires.

Assuming the backup service account on each client runs as a domain account,
then you definitely have a risk. Any trojan that breaks into that machine
as SYSTEM has access to that account and its password, and can spread to
other machines via SMB, RPC, etc using those credentials. You have to
worry about buffer overflows on the service directly. Assuming the
service runs on each client as SYSTEM, then you also have to worry about how
good is the cryptography between the backup vendor's client and server,
since some kind of Windows credential might be exchanged from the backup
server to the client.

Anyway, in our own case, we are doing a slow migration from Windows 2000 to
Windows 2003/XP, and I've set a goal that on the new machines no ports are
listening on any machine that is not a server.

--
Will

Old February 13th 07, 01:00 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2007-02-07, Will wrote:
Is there a decent Windows based backup program that allows clients to push
their backups to a central server using an agent technolgy rather than
having the central server contact the distributed agents and pull the data?

Yes, CDP for files is such a solution, which IMHO is quite cool:

http://www.cdp-backup.com/

Doesn't require any serverside software, except a place to write
the files (usb-disk, windows file share, WebDAV or a TSM server).

-jf
Old February 14th 07, 01:44 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Will

On 2007-02-07, Will wrote:
Is there a decent Windows based backup program that allows clients to

push
their backups to a central server using an agent technolgy rather than
having the central server contact the distributed agents and pull the

data?

Yes, CDP for files is such a solution, which IMHO is quite cool:

http://www.cdp-backup.com/

Doesn't require any serverside software, except a place to write
the files (usb-disk, windows file share, WebDAV or a TSM server).

What's the list price on that per client? Do you know if I it requires
you to run Tivoli for the core backup to tape?

I'll be honest that IBM just scares me as a vendor for software. They have
too many damn options, constantly dropping packages and adding new ones, and
you need a small team of experts to just figure out what to buy from them.
I just went to the Tivoli section of their web site, and it has more than
100 products that have the word Tivoli in them in the product selection
list!! And to make things even better, none of them is CDP!

--
Will

Old February 14th 07, 08:34 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Jan-Frode Myklebust

The webpage http://www.cdp-backup.com/ says $35.

Do you know if I it requires
you to run Tivoli for the core backup to tape?

No it doesn't require anything on that side. It's just
dumping files to the file server, and you can use anything
you want to further back that up to f.ex. tape.

I'll be honest that IBM just scares me as a vendor for software. They have
too many damn options, constantly dropping packages and adding new ones, and
you need a small team of experts to just figure out what to buy from them.
I just went to the Tivoli section of their web site, and it has more than
100 products that have the word Tivoli in them in the product selection
list!! And to make things even better, none of them is CDP!

Yes, CDPff is quite new, and not typical IBM sw in that it's a
pure client side solution (even availble in shrink-wrap boxes in Japan :-).
I think IBM is more marketing this towards large customers that
wants to re-brand it, and push out pre-configured versions of it to their
users.

-jf