Corrupt NTFS Filesystem

Old February 5th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

Default Corrupt NTFS Filesystem

Almost every time I reboot my Win2K/SP4 system, CHKDSK runs because
Win2K detected a "corrupt ntfs filesystem" on the boot disk. Every
once in a while I get a BSOD instead, in which case I have to move the
bad disk to D: and run CHKDSK manually from inside Win2K.

In both instances CHKDSK fixes the problem(s) and my disk is good to
go. What I would like to know is what is causing this. The entries in
Event Viewer do not help any.

When I have to run CHKDSK on a disk that resulted in a BSOD, the
repair entails fixing multitudinous "file descriptors" - what looks
like literally hundreds of them.

When I run the Defrag utility that comes with Win2K, there are two
entries for the boot disk

System Disk
System Disk (C

The parameters are identical and Defrag will operate on either of
them. There is also a pair for the Backup disk D: I have never seen
any double drive configurations before like this.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
Old February 5th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

Bob wrote:
[...]

This is certainly not conclusive, but I have seen this exact behavior
from an underpowered system. Use a power supply calculator, like the
one linked below, to compare your component load to your supply's
rating. Even if that suggests that you have enough juice, it's possible
that your power supply is not living up to its rating. Someone here can
probably comment on the quality of your supply, based upon its brand name.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
Old February 5th 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

Bob wrote:
The parameters are identical and Defrag will operate on either of
them. There is also a pair for the Backup disk D: I have never seen
any double drive configurations before like this.

I think you have to have a close look at your partitioning. Looks to me
like your partition table has some serious errors. I don't think chkdsk
is able to fix those kinds of errors either, you should probably look
into something like fix-it utilities or partition magic. In any case:
BACK UP YOUR DATA OFTEN until you've fixed this problem.

Mark.
Old February 6th 06, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

could be memory errors - run memtest

Old February 6th 06, 07:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:17:17 GMT, kony wrote:

Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's utilities?

Not all of them. I have both the DLG Tools and Diags. I will run the
diags next.

I periodically swap three identical disks (80GB WD) into the boot disk
tray, and each of them shows the same behavior.

System Disk
System Disk (C

The parameters are identical and Defrag will operate on either of
them. There is also a pair for the Backup disk D: I have never seen
any double drive configurations before like this.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

See what's showing up in Disk Management.

I see only one disk. The same for Device Manager - Disk Drives.

Old February 6th 06, 07:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:24:29 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

This is certainly not conclusive, but I have seen this exact behavior
from an underpowered system. Use a power supply calculator, like the
one linked below, to compare your component load to your supply's
rating. Even if that suggests that you have enough juice, it's possible
that your power supply is not living up to its rating. Someone here can
probably comment on the quality of your supply, based upon its brand name.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

198 watts.

The PSU I have is rated at 350 watts.

This is not an exotic machine: Celeron D, 2 sticks of DDR RAM, onboard
(MCI Mainboard) video, sound, NIC, two WD 80 GB HDs and an NEC 3540
DVD burner.

I used to get a lot of errors with the USR Journal but that has
quieted down.

Event Viewer shows that the detection of this corruption occurs at
shutdown. IOW, the entry I find when I fix the disk and reboot is
timed exactly with when I shut down.

Old February 6th 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

Bob wrote:
Grinder wrote:

[...]

Given that you have a NTFS system you are probably using an
ever-suspect Windoze system. My guess would be that the system
isn't smart enough to wait for pending file system writes to
complete before shutting down. Maybe simply waiting a minute or so
with a totally inactive system before powering down would do it.

Alternatively, unless you are using ECC memory, you may have the
odd bad memory bit. This is much less likely than sloppy OS
programming.

More details at: http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Also see http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Old February 6th 06, 12:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 04:36:23 -0500, CBFalconer
wrote:

Given that you have a NTFS system you are probably using an
ever-suspect Windoze system.

Actually Win2K is the best of the lot.

My guess would be that the system
isn't smart enough to wait for pending file system writes to
complete before shutting down. Maybe simply waiting a minute or so
with a totally inactive system before powering down would do it.

I already tried disabling the write cache - it did not help.

Alternatively, unless you are using ECC memory, you may have the
odd bad memory bit. This is much less likely than sloppy OS
programming.

Would I not see the system crash, at least once in a while? I run full
POST memory check with no problems. I will run Memtest 386 next.