power management - can't wake from sleep mode

Old October 2nd 15, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adam

Default power management - can't wake from sleep mode

"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.

Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity from
drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN from
AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.

I think I'd want to test control-alt-Fn or similar
and see if a console-like window appears. You can switch
between X and a set of terminal windows, using
some control-key combinations.

http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm

CtrlAltFn (n=1..6)
Switch to the nth text terminal.

So something like CtrlAltF4 might work.

Using CtrlAltF7 takes you back to X. With
appropriate assumptions about whether the input
subsystem is running or not...

Thanks, but no luck. Pressing CtrlAltFn for all n=1..7
made no difference.

The other possibility, is video output is being
sent to the wrong output connector. Depending
on the video card, you might not have enough
interface types on the monitor, to test all
possible video card outputs (like the cards
with DisplayPort on them).

The monitor only has DVI-D and VGA (not used) connectors.
The Radeon HD 6850 has a Single-link DVI-D and
a Dual-link DVI-I connection. Moving the DVI cable made no difference.

I was able to open the DVD drives.

If the video driver has impedance sensing working,
then unplugging the monitor connector and plugging it
back in, should help the video subsystem notice
a monitor has been connected. But it doesn't guarantee
it will be driven immediately. I don't think any OS
flips to multi-monitor mode, just because a second or
nth monitor just appeared on the hardware interface.

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

Even "pinging" the broken computer, will help you
determine its running state. If it answers a ping,
then "it's alive", for some value of "alive".

Paul

Bingo!

Thanks (Guru Paul), from my laptop, I started ping...

ping ASUS-DESKTOP ip addr

which kept spewing out info...

snip
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=626 ttl=64 time=0.218 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=627 ttl=64 time=0.151 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=628 ttl=64 time=0.257 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=629 ttl=64 time=0.217 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=630 ttl=64 time=0.144 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=631 ttl=64 time=0.197 ms

snip

Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.

Pressing CtrlAltF1 on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.

Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.

Old October 3rd 15, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
stepore

On 10/02/2015 10:30 AM, Adam wrote:
snip... /and so should you!/

Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.

Wait, what? I must have missed this in the details, but you're looking
to suspend a desktop? Why?

Pressing CtrlAltF1 on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.

Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.

Right, so as I suggested before (and so it seems from another post of
yours) it appears that your graphics drivers are not
installed/configured properly. Reinstall the proprietary drivers (best
from AMD directly as instructed) or try the radeon driver (unless that's
what you're actually using now). Have you even checked to see which
driver is loaded?

something like:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'

Old October 3rd 15, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Robert Marshall[_2_]

On Fri, Oct 02 2015, Paul wrote:

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.

Robert
--
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Old October 3rd 15, 11:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 10:00:05 +0100, Robert Marshall
Gave us:

On Fri, Oct 02 2015, Paul wrote:

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.

Robert

Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't bring up a command line login prompt?

If so, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 should return you to the X session. Or from
there, you could stop the display manager then restart it.
Old October 3rd 15, 11:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Robert Marshall[_2_]

On Fri, Oct 02 2015, Paul wrote:

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.

Robert

Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't bring up a command line login prompt?

If so, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 should return you to the X session. Or from
there, you could stop the display manager then restart it.

No it doesn't, keyboard seemed dead. Whilst in the ssh session I tried a
sudo reboot which closed the connection (inevitably) but didn't reboot,
I guess the un-sleep is waiting for something which overrides the reboot

Prior to 15.04 sleep worked fine (and for a some time after the upgrade)
as to what was updated after that that's broken sleep I'm not certain -
I initially thought it was odd but thought it must be me!

I'll try invoking a sleep again and an ssh'ed reboot and examine
/var/log carefully for clues.

Robert
--
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Old October 3rd 15, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 11:49:02 +0100, Robert Marshall
Gave us:

On Fri, Oct 02 2015, Paul wrote:

[...]

There was a thread here (the ubuntu group) a while ago about a key
sequence which restarts a supposedly locked up system.

It utilizes the system request key (SysRq)

Perhaps that person could repost the procedure for you, as I was
unable to find the thread.
Old October 3rd 15, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Robert Marshall[_2_]

On Fri, Oct 02 2015, Paul wrote:

[...]

ALT-SysRq rseiub (something about Skinny Elephants being Utterly Boring) I
tried that too but will check next time whether sysrq is enabled
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq suggests it is..

This looks interesting when logged in via ssh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_..._Magic_Sys Rq
ie echo $SYSRQLetter /proc/sysrq-trigger

I see that page prefers reisub

Robert
--
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Old October 3rd 15, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adam

"stepore" wrote in message
On 10/02/2015 10:30 AM, Adam wrote:
snip... /and so should you!/

Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.

Wait, what? I must have missed this in the details, but you're looking to
suspend a desktop? Why?

For "automatic" energy efficiency. Screensaver Preferences has
Power Management settings that I would like to take advantage of to
save energy costs without having to manually shutdown the system,
which is not good for the system.

Pressing CtrlAltF1 on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.

Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.

Right, so as I suggested before (and so it seems from another post of
yours) it appears that your graphics drivers are not installed/configured
properly. Reinstall the proprietary drivers (best from AMD directly as
instructed) or try the radeon driver (unless that's what you're actually
using now). Have you even checked to see which driver is loaded?

something like:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'

Thanks, entering that command gives...

Kernel driver in use: fglrx _pci

Old October 4th 15, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Robert Redelmeier

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Robert Marshall wrote in part:
On Sat, Oct 03 2015, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
There was a thread here (the ubuntu group) a while ago about a key
sequence which restarts a supposedly locked up system.

It utilizes the system request key (SysRq)

Perhaps that person could repost the procedure for you, as I was
unable to find the thread.

ALT-SysRq rseiub (something about Skinny Elephants being Utterly Boring) I
tried that too but will check next time whether sysrq is enabled
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq suggests it is..

This looks interesting when logged in via ssh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_..._Magic_Sys Rq
ie echo $SYSRQLetter /proc/sysrq-trigger

I see that page prefers reisub

In X on my Ubuntu-derived system, it takes CTLALTSYSREQ
to be held down while hitting the Magic SysRq commands.
sync is generally safe, and shows in `dmesg`

I've always used sync, unmount, boot and I have no
idea why you might want REI as well.

-- Robert

Old October 4th 15, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Henry Crun

On 03/10/15 23:59, Adam wrote:

For "automatic" energy efficiency. Screensaver Preferences has
Power Management settings that I would like to take advantage of to
save energy costs without having to manually shutdown the system,
which is not good for the system.

Why would that be?

--
Mike R.