power management - can't wake from sleep mode

Old October 2nd 15, 01:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Cybe R. Wizard[_2_]

Default power management - can't wake from sleep mode

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:56:29 -0700
mike wrote:

On my system, the wireless lan driver was the problem.
I had to edit some configuration file to insert a command line
that one never could have guessed.

....but quite apparently someone actually /DID/ come up with it, eh?

I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.

....and he (not you) was the one learned enough to come up with the fix.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Old October 2nd 15, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Cybe R. Wizard[_2_]

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

I checked the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.

Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

xset dpms

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Old October 2nd 15, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:56:29 -0700, mike Gave us:

Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.

So, you admit that you are dumber than dog****, and all of your
retarded assessments about Linux AND other people over the years are as
bent as they could possibly get.
Old October 2nd 15, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 01:05:20 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

BTW, when I ran the USB device selection script,
it listed "C-Media Electronics, Inc."
What is that?

GOOGLE it. Damn!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=c-media

It is part of the sound card.
Old October 2nd 15, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:28:00 -0500, "Cybe R. Wizard"
Gave us:

mike wrote:

On my system, the wireless lan driver was the problem.
I had to edit some configuration file to insert a command line
that one never could have guessed.

...but quite apparently someone actually /DID/ come up with it, eh?

I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.

...and he (not you) was the one learned enough to come up with the fix.

He wants his hand held through all things not pointy clicky on his
computer.

I would say he learned from mommy, but the old fart is past that
problem. It's basic hard wired "do it for me" disease.
Old October 2nd 15, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adam

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.

Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity from
drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN from
AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.

xset dpms

Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ment_Signaling

adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000002
XKB indicators:
00: Caps Lock: off 01: Num Lock: on 02: Scroll Lock: off
03: Compose: off 04: Kana: off 05: Sleep: off
06: Suspend: off 07: Mute: off 08: Misc: off
09: Mail: off 10: Charging: off 11: Shift Lock: off
12: Group 2: off 13: Mouse Keys: off
auto repeat delay: 500 repeat rate: 30
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
bell percent: 0 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 0
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Also, a day or two ago, my old monitor died.
After installing the spare monitor, I get the following...

"Could Not Apply The Stored Configuration For Monitors X Server Does Not
Support Size Requested"

on bootup.

And, when I try to start the Catalyst Control Center,
I get the following...

Initialization error:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition.
It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning
properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware,
or configure using aticonfig.

adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old October 2nd 15, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adam

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 01:05:20 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

BTW, when I ran the USB device selection script,
it listed "C-Media Electronics, Inc."
What is that?

GOOGLE it. Damn!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=c-media

It is part of the sound card.

Sound card? On a USB device list?

Old October 2nd 15, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Paul

"Adam" wrote:

I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.

Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity from
drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN from
AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.

I think I'd want to test control-alt-Fn or similar
and see if a console-like window appears. You can switch
between X and a set of terminal windows, using
some control-key combinations.

http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm

CtrlAltFn (n=1..6)
Switch to the nth text terminal.

So something like CtrlAltF4 might work.

Using CtrlAltF7 takes you back to X. With
appropriate assumptions about whether the input
subsystem is running or not...

The other possibility, is video output is being
sent to the wrong output connector. Depending
on the video card, you might not have enough
interface types on the monitor, to test all
possible video card outputs (like the cards
with DisplayPort on them).

If the video driver has impedance sensing working,
then unplugging the monitor connector and plugging it
back in, should help the video subsystem notice
a monitor has been connected. But it doesn't guarantee
it will be driven immediately. I don't think any OS
flips to multi-monitor mode, just because a second or
nth monitor just appeared on the hardware interface.

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

Even "pinging" the broken computer, will help you
determine its running state. If it answers a ping,
then "it's alive", for some value of "alive".

Paul
Old October 2nd 15, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Cybe R. Wizard[_2_]

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:15:20 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.

Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity
from drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN
from AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.

xset dpms

I misspoke.
man xset

Turn Energy Star settings off:
xset -dpms (I failed in including the, "-," the first time)

Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ment_Signaling

adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset q

[...]

Below is your problem. Energy Star is turning your monitor off:

DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Also, a day or two ago, my old monitor died.

Another problem for a different thread?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Old October 2nd 15, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adam

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:15:20 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in
message ...

adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset -dpms
[...]
DPMS is Disabled
adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ment_Signaling

adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset q

[...]

Below is your problem. Energy Star is turning your monitor off:

DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
adam@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted DPMS enabled.
Now I can't remember whether suspend was done before or after.
Probably before.