Some observations from Backblaze Q1 stats.

Old August 28th 17, 02:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Some observations from Backblaze Q1 stats.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q1-2017/

1. Seagate ST6000DX000 6TB "desktop" drives --

seem to be significantly more reliable than the

WD 6TB WD60EFRX NAS drives

2. Seagate 8TB ST8000DM002 "desktop" drives

seem to be somewhat more reliable than the

Seagate 8TB ST8000NM0055 "Enterprise" drives.

Perce
Old August 28th 17, 08:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q1-2017/

1. Seagate ST6000DX000 6TB "desktop" drives --

seem to be significantly more reliable than the

WD 6TB WD60EFRX NAS drives

2. Seagate 8TB ST8000DM002 "desktop" drives

seem to be somewhat more reliable than the

Seagate 8TB ST8000NM0055 "Enterprise" drives.

Perce

You would have to normalize their chart to show drives having the same
effective I/O load over the same duration to know which were the winners
and losers. That chart by itself is useless. We're supposed to assume
that "drive days" means each drive brand receives the same I/O load. We
don't know and they don't say. How does Seagate's 267 failures in 34540
drives come to a 3.27% failure rate? I get 0.77% (267 / 34540 * 100).
Presumably this is over more than a 1 year test duration so the annual
failure rate would be even lower. Simple math on the worst Seagate
shows a 8.8% failure rate (over how long is not divulged) instead of
their cited 35%. For the annualized failure rate to be so much higher
for Seagate means those drives received a lot higher I/O load. If
Seagate is so bad, why does Backblaze still buy so many of them?

The article has a link to supposedly the hard drive statistics data.
Really? I went there and there was no statistical data, no spreadsheet,
nothing there to do a separate and accurate statistical analysis. May
the 2017 .zip files had that data but all I got was a constant waiting
for their site to respond (deliver the file).

Nowhere do I see mention of burn-in to eliminate bias due to infant
mortality rate. Drive vendors, RAID vendors, and the industry talk
about it but not Backblaze. Does Backblaze run the new drives through a
burn-in period? Does whomever they buy the drives do a burn-in?