HP LaserJet 2200DN -- dirty mark on second side

Old July 21st 17, 02:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

Default HP LaserJet 2200DN -- dirty mark on second side

On 07/16/2017 08:34 PM, I wrote:

Sorry. I forgot to say that I had already turned the printer over and
checked the duplexer tray: no sign of any contamination.

The Service Manual has diagrams of all kinds of printing errors, but
nothing like what I'm seeing. There is one diagram with precise
measurements for repeated errors and the printer components that cause
the errors at each specific interval -- but nothing for a once-per-page
error.

For now I can print what I need by doing each page separately and
turning the stack over to print the second page, but I really want to
find the problem.

Maybe somebody else has seen this. You could cross post to the HP
newsgroups.
There used to be a very active HP expert forum but I cannot remember
the name.
Also thye Fix Your Own Printer forum may help.
Every full width roller in the prinhter will, if damaged or worn,
produce at
least two defects on an A4 or Legal page when not duplexing. That is not
happening so it has to be something weird.
If it was in a workshop I would swap out components until it was fixed
but that
would cost more than a replacement printer.

I've bought a(n allegedly) new transfer roller on eBay. It should be
here within a week.

The (allegedly) new transfer roller arrived today, and I've installed
it. I don't see the black mark on the second side, but I don't see
anything else much there either: the print on the first side starts off
OK but gets lighter across the page, and the second side has only very
faint printing.

What could cause that? Not a transfer roller fault, surely?

And it's the same with the previous toner cartridge too.

Perce

Old July 21st 17, 03:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/20/2017 09:17 PM, I wrote:

[...]

I've tried printing some self-test pages with the old cartridge
installed again. Each time it prints the first side OK (considering the
age of that cartridge) but leaves the second side blank (yes, it does
pull the paper back in as though it is going to print the second side),
then just sits there with the red light blinking. If I press the Go
button, it does the same thing again: just prints the first side, leaves
the second side blank, and flashes the red light.

Perce

Old July 21st 17, 04:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 07/20/2017 09:17 PM, I wrote:

[...]

Did you take care to not touch the roller with your fingers? It is unlikely
that would cause this problem but the grease from fingers can cause issues.
Also at one end of the roller (left end I think?) th roller shaft should be
touching an electrical contact, this is essentil to avoid print failures. I
have seen these contacts damages when inserting a new roller, sometimes bending
the contact very gently will sort that.
Tony

Old July 21st 17, 04:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 07/20/2017 09:17 PM, I wrote:

[...]

The roller can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol if necessary
Tony