CD-RW Floppy

Old July 13th 03, 12:01 AM
Wheat Muncher

TresWBL enlightened us all with these words of wisdom:

I have a Plextor 52x burner. I also have some CD-RW disc I'm just
dying to use. What I want to do is this:

Format the disc so that it can be used just like a floppy. For
instance, let's say I have computer A and B. Computer A has the
burner. I format the CD-RW w/ computer A, but then can plug it into
computer B (which doesn't have a burner) and can just drag/drop/delete
files to the CD-RW. Is this possible and how? I have XP Pro and Nero
5.

Thank you guys so much for your help in this matter.

Not possible. A standard CD ROM can't burn to a CD-RW no matter how many
ways you try. It doesn't have the mechanical ability.
Network the two, and drag and drop files between them. A simple crossover
cable and IPX/SPX works fine if you already have one set on broadband and
don't want to mess with the TCP/IP settings.

Old July 13th 03, 03:03 AM
Vanguard

Unless you are going to move the writable CD drive around, no, obviously you
cannot write to any drive which is not writable. CD-ROM = compact disc -
READ-ONLY media. You cannot *write* to read-only media. On computer A, you
can use a UDF (universal data format) writer. You mention you have Nero; I
think there's is called In-CD. This uses a different format for writing on
the CD-R[W] disc but lets you treat it like a big floppy. When you move
that UDF formatted CD to another machine, you will need something to read
that format. You need to install on computer B a UDF reader. I don't
remember if Nero provides a UDF reader (so you can read UDF formatted CDs on
another machine). Adaptec had a UDF reader; they sold their software to
Roxio (actually I think it is a software division of Adaptec) and you can
find it at http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc...pdatesv4.jhtml.

So on whatever machine you have a *writable* CD drive, you can install a UDF
writer and use the CD-R as a big floppy. On a machine with only a
*read-only* CD drive, you can use a UDF reader to READ from that
UDF-formatted CD. Nero has its In-CD program for a UDF writer.
Adaptec/Roxio's Easy-CD has its DirectCD. Both of these have caused BSODs
(blue screen of deaths) so I quit using them.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove "-NIX" from my email address.

. ..

Old July 13th 03, 08:21 AM
TresWBL

Wheat Muncher wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention that they were networked. So, I could just leave the
CD-RW disc in the CD-RW drive, and format it with Nero (as Vanguard
mentioned), and then from the other computer I could add data to the
networked CD-RW drive?
--
TresWBL

Old July 14th 03, 04:38 AM
Wheat Muncher

TresWBL enlightened us all with these words of wisdom:

..

Not possible. A standard CD ROM can't burn to a CD-RW no matter how
many ways you try. It doesn't have the mechanical ability.
Network the two, and drag and drop files between them. A simple
crossover cable and IPX/SPX works fine if you already have one set on
broadband and don't want to mess with the TCP/IP settings.

I forgot to mention that they were networked. So, I could just leave the
CD-RW disc in the CD-RW drive, and format it with Nero (as Vanguard
mentioned), and then from the other computer I could add data to the
networked CD-RW drive?

Sure, that's how I set mine up. I formatted the drive using DirectCD (the
program you use is a matter of preference) and shared the CD-RW as a
removable drive. It worked quite well.

Old July 14th 03, 06:16 AM
TresWBL

TresWBL wrote:
Wheat Muncher wrote:
[...]

Wheat, I noticed you had a reply, but it seemed to get deleted. I don't
really know how post get deleted, so I'm not sure why it would be deleted.
Unless of course it was something inappropriate, could you consider
re-posting or e-mailing the response? Thanks.

--
TresWBL

Old July 14th 03, 06:17 AM
Wheat Muncher

TresWBL put me in my place by writing

TresWBL wrote:
Wheat Muncher wrote:
[...]

beats me why it would get deleted... I will email you.

--
Wheaty...

Gimme the ball... puhhllleeeeaaasssse gimme the ball!