My Experiences With HomeBuilt Computer

Old September 16th 05, 10:31 PM

Default My Experiences With HomeBuilt Computer

A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and
only had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the
motherboard. The Parts I have installed are the following:
1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
5. CASE - $60.00
6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00

Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
you will learn alot.

Old September 16th 05, 11:29 PM
dawg

PC 2100 ram?You do know yor ram is rated for 133 FSB? What cpu are you
using?Besides just 2.4?

ups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 05:45 AM
jaster

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:31:44 -0700, SamuelF566 thoughtfully wrote:

A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building my
system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a few
hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and only
had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the motherboard. The
Parts I have installed are the following:
1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00

I know you're just starting out and maybe a few months ago prices were
different .... but an AMD64 system might have been cheaper.

2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
5. CASE - $60.00
6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00

You could get a DVD+/_RW for $50.00. A second CD-ROM
not that important.

7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00

For $100 you could have had a 160-250 Gb. If you have a lot of games or
lots of scenery for FS2004 you could use the extra space.

8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00

Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
you will learn alot.

Good price on the 6800 though. And not bad for a gaming machine
Old September 17th 05, 02:18 PM
Ruel Smith

A few Months ago I ordered All the parts I would need to start building
my system. I spent around $1000 but wanted a gaming system which adds a
few hundered dollars more than if it wasn't.
Everything Works Fine and Got the satisfaction of Knowing All the
Software and hardware that are inside. It wasn't that difficult and
only had 1 or two problems which were simply jumpers on the
motherboard. The Parts I have installed are the following:
1. Biostar Motherboard with 2.4 ghtz CPU Installed (Made sure I did
not install this myself as its the most expensive part) $200.00
2. Evga 6800 Video Card $150.00
3. 1 gig PC2100 DDR RAM $200.00
4. 450 Watt PSU $40.00
5. CASE - $60.00
6. 1 CD-ROM DRIVE AND 1 CD-RW $50.00
7. 1 100 GIG HD $100.00
8. WINDOWS XP $150.00
9. MODEM AND SOUNDCARD $50.00

For $1000 you could have built this, instead:

MSI K8N Neo4 SLI w/ onboard Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24bit sound $99

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core $219

1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS Dual Channel PC3200 memory $123

Antec Sonata II case w/ Antec 450 watt SmartPower 2.0 power supply $109

EVGA 6600GT PCI Express video card $149

Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD $118

Lite-On 1693S 16X DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer $43

Diamond SupraMax 56K internal PCI modem $15

Windows XP Home OEM $92

Grand total: $967

Building your own won't save you money and might be frustrating but
you will learn alot.

Where did you do your shopping??? Do you not see that this system I laid out
for you rocks any system you can buy retail off the shelf anywhere, by
anyone (including the one you built)? You get QUALITY components throughout,
room to grow, and the satisfaction that you built it yourself. I know the
graphics card seems to be a step backward compared to your system, but I
could not find a 6800 with only 128MB like you have for PCI express. The
only 6800 cards for that slot have 256MB of memory and are about $75, which
would have only put you slightly over your $1000 budget, anyway.

I think you simply didn't do your due diligence in shopping for your parts.
The reason you didn't save any money is because you paid too much for what
you got. You didn't build much of a gaming system, either, being the
processor must be an older model because you specified you're using PC2100
memory, which is very slow these days (and you paid $200 for it???).

The only time your statement has truth is when you're buying/building a very
small budget system, like around $400 - 600. You can find Compaq and
eMachines systems that are a lot of system for that money and you simply
couldn't do it without major headaches of purchasing crippled budget parts
that might not work as expected.

Old September 17th 05, 06:20 PM
JAD

" For $1000 you could have built this, instead:

for five bucks I could have clubbed him over the head instead

Old September 17th 05, 06:30 PM
JAD

jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
done and what do you get for it?

AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........

the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

ups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 08:16 PM
jaster

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:30:10 -0700, JAD thoughtfully wrote:

jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
done and what do you get for it?

AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........

Come JAD we're happy he built a system but it's not the AMD that's at
issue. No matter how many months ago he put that system together but
you know that if he had asked here before hand he could have built a
better system Intel or AMD based. Criticism is for the next upgrade.

the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo? and the
150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

ups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 08:52 PM

JAD wrote:
the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

He may have had to buy the full version of XP rather than the upgrade
version. The full version generally costs twice as much as the upgrade
version.

Old September 18th 05, 12:45 AM
Ruel Smith

jeesh, ya come in and brag a little, take a little pride in what you've
done and what do you get for it?

AMD salesmen telling you IN THEIR OPINION a better way of going...........

the only thing that seems out of wack is your memory speed,,,typo?
and the 150 for XP (home?) should have been 80 or abouts

No AMD salesman here at all, as I have both Intel and AMD machines, but
honestly, if 2.4GHz is not an AMD (which would actually be a fast
processor), that's an awfully pricey machine for such old technology. This
person wanted to build a gaming machine for a grand, but instead built
something antique for that kind of money.

Kudos for the effort of building for the first time, but some effort in
research as to what to build/buy and where to get the parts was warranted.
When I built my very first machine, I probably spent 3 months just getting
aquainted with what was involved, how to get the latest/greatest/fastest
parts the cheapest, and what to look for/look out for. This person obviously
didn't, given that a 2.4 GHz P4 came out about 4 years ago.

I simply pointed out that his complaint that he didn't actually save any
money was bogus because he poorly spent, and for the same amount of
greenbacks, could have built an awesome machine that you couldn't touch for
the money buying a Dell or HP or something.