P4 Extreme Edition discontinued

Old August 8th 04, 12:53 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default P4 Extreme Edition discontinued

This article states that the original P4EE is being discontinued. It doesn't
mention whether all further EE's will be discontinued or not, but it seems
to be the implication.

I wonder if that means AMD will also discontinue its FX line of Athlon 64's
now?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...807015441.html

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old August 8th 04, 07:54 AM
JK

It looks like just the P4 3.2 EE is being cancelled. I wonder if we will soon
see a P4 3.6 EE? The 3.2 EE was priced too close to the 3.4 EE, so I
doubt it sold well. I don't know how well the P4 3.4 EE is selling, however
Intel needs something to try to compete against the Athlon 64 FX-53. The EE
chips are probably also quite expensive to produce. Let's see what Intel
comes up with for the holidays. I guess AMD is supposed to come out
with the FX-55 in October?

Old August 8th 04, 08:18 AM
Rob Stow

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I wonder if that means AMD will also discontinue its FX line of Athlon 64's
now?

Huh ? Why would you think the two things are related at all ?

P4-EE was Intel's answer to the Athlon FX. Just
because Intel has decided they now have a better
"answer" than the EE, it does not follow that AMD
should roll over and play dead.

Old August 8th 04, 09:23 AM
Tony Hill

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:53:25 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

This article states that the original P4EE is being discontinued. It doesn't
mention whether all further EE's will be discontinued or not, but it seems
to be the implication.

I wonder if that means AMD will also discontinue its FX line of Athlon 64's
now?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...807015441.html

My reading of things is that it's JUST the 3.2GHz model that's being
discontinued, which would make sense. People paying a HUGE premium
for these top-end chips aren't going to be too worried about an extra
$80 to get the top-end, so it makes no sense to have a bunch of
different speed grades. FWIW current price of the P4EE 3.2GHz is $915
while the P4EE 3.4GHz is $995, ie less than a 10% difference in price.

Same reason why AMD has discontinued their Athlon64 FX-51 after the
FX-53 arrived.. though I suppose you can still kinda-sorta buy an
FX-51 under the Opteron 150 product name.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old August 8th 04, 06:34 PM
JK

I saw prices around $825 for the P4 3.2 EE. Still too close to the
$1,000 P4 3.4 EE. Imo the Athlon FX-51 is being discontinued since
the Athlon 64 3800+ is probably less expensive to make than the
FX-51, and seems to perform at least as well in almost all benchmarks.

Old August 8th 04, 06:40 PM
JK

In reconsidering the Athlon 64 3800+ vs FX-51 benchmarks, I now
realize that the Athlon 64 3800+ seems like a much better performer
overall than the FX-51. So the FX-51 doesn't really make sense for
AMD to continue to produce, since imo the Athlon 64 3800+ is also
probably much cheaper to make.

Old August 8th 04, 06:43 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring 411664DC.1580E4F1@nsaeccueuesizefitterwruovweswer nuao.com,
from the wonderful person Johannes H Andersen
said

JK wrote:

I saw prices around $825 for the P4 3.2 EE. Still too close to the
$1,000 P4 3.4 EE. Imo the Athlon FX-51 is being discontinued since
the Athlon 64 3800+ is probably less expensive to make than the
FX-51, and seems to perform at least as well in almost all benchmarks.

I guess that the EE stands for 'Expensive Edition'.

'Extreme' actually, but I guess that the 'extreme' could indeed apply
mostly to the expense .. it sure as hell doesn't apply to the relative
cost benefit.
8.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Old August 8th 04, 07:42 PM
JK

The P4 EE chips are also probably very expensive to make, so I
doubt that Intel would want to keep making the P4 3.2 EE, especially
if they felt they might soon need to drop the price to well under $600.
Perhaps it might also mean that there might be a P4 3.6 EE?
I wonder if there will be a P4 3.8 ghz before the end of the year, or
if Intel plans some 3.6 ghz chips with other enhancements besides
clock speed (and besides a huge cache) to boost performance before
the end of the year.

The Athlon 64 3800+ is a tough chip to compete against. The Athlon 64
4000+ on 90nm will be even more exciting. I wonder how it will benchmark
against the FX-53? It looks like it will be released around the time of the
FX-55, so AMD might decide to discontinue the FX-53 after the Athlon 64
4000+ and the FX-55 are out ? It looks like the FX-55 and Athlon 64 FX-55
are scheduled for October release.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Old August 9th 04, 02:10 AM
Keith

JK wrote:

I saw prices around $825 for the P4 3.2 EE. Still too close to the
$1,000 P4 3.4 EE. Imo the Athlon FX-51 is being discontinued since
the Athlon 64 3800+ is probably less expensive to make than the
FX-51, and seems to perform at least as well in almost all benchmarks.

I guess that the EE stands for 'Expensive Edition'.

'Extreme' actually, but I guess that the 'extreme' could indeed apply
mostly to the expense .. it sure as hell doesn't apply to the relative
cost benefit.

It could also be Extreme Envy. They had do do *something* to fill the
performace charts. Did anyone actually buy one?

--
Keith