Pc wont boot

Old September 9th 11, 10:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Daniel2305

Default Pc wont boot

Hello ,

I built myself a new computer about a month ago. Is my second attempt
and went fine (minus a bloody hand). I was using my computer yesterday
when it desided to shut down all by itself (actually shut down not turn
off). So i turned it back on and got to the windows 7 login screen and
it did the same. The next time my fan lights came on and made the noise
that it was booting but nothing came on the screen. Every five to ten
seconds it would cut power for half a second and sound like it started
the booting process again.

So as it was late I left it over night. Woke up this morning and it was
working (I thought). I selected to boot windows normally but when i got
to the login screen my mouse and keyboard wouldnt work (have no idea if
this is related). Tried rebooting a few times and the same thing
happened. I then moved my pc slightly to unplug and plus in my mouse and
keyboard and it went back to what it was doing last night. Nothing on
the screen and cutting out every five to ten seconds.

I hace since taken it apart and checked everything is secure but it
still does it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Daniel.

If this is in the wrong place I am sorry.

Old September 9th 11, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
yukonron[_2_]

Hi Daniel. You're definitely in the right place. We have many
knowledgeable and highly trained members here. I just don't happen to be
one of them, but I have built a few hundred pc's. Sound's like you have
a problem with your motherboard, probably just a connection issue. The
first thing I would do is to make sure your ram is seated correctly.
Check your motherboard to see if there's a flashing light the sequence
will help narrow it down. Disconnect everything but the basic's and take
out all but 1 stick of ram. If you're still having problems recheck all
of your connections and reseat your ram. It would help if you gave us
the specs on your pc. Anyway I'm surprized *davy* or* rb *haven't beaten
me to the punch so to speak. They know alot more than me. And there are
plenty more experts on this site I'm just new here so I don't know that
many yet. Anyway hope this helps but if it didn't hang in there you'll
get plenty of help here

Old September 9th 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Daniel2305 wrote:
[...]

Check for CPU overheating.

Maybe you didn't seat the push pins on the CPU cooler ? (We don't
even know what kind of motherboard and CPU you are using...)

Since mouse and keyboard don't work, there could be more than one problem.

Paul
Old September 9th 11, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang

Check for CPU overheating.

Simplest solution to check: remove the cover of the chassis while using
the PC.

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silent.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
Old September 9th 11, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Daniel2305[_2_]

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked every connection multiple times and replaced all
components other that the CPU and motherboard with others which i know
work to narrow it down. I have also had a friend look at it who is very
knowledgeable in computers and such and he believes it is a faulty
motherboard.

Old September 9th 11, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 9/9/2011 4:16 AM, Daniel2305 wrote:
[...]

My first instinct is a dodgy, or improperly attached PSU, or dodgy or
improperly seated RAM.

Old September 10th 11, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
edfair[_83_]

The 5 seconds rings a bell. Pull the power up connector off the
motherboard and use a screwdriver to short the pins together to power
up.

But then again it may be a stab in the dark.

There is an override power off circuit in the standby power section that
will turn the power off if the power up key is held for 5 seconds. That
is the same key that powers up from standby when depressed. A short
there likely would cause cycling like you are having.

OS wont boot UPNDOWN Dell Computers 13 April 16th 07 09:06 PM
Please Help pc wont boot Mike Homebuilt PC's 6 March 21st 07 07:35 PM
PC wont boot up. Eli Homebuilt PC's 3 January 17th 07 07:03 PM
p4 wont boot. Andrew General Hardware 0 June 13th 04 09:34 PM
Wont boot. At all... TJ Poseno General Hardware 2 December 30th 03 09:58 PM