Anybody know how to nuke Adobe?

Old August 16th 11, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default Anybody know how to nuke Adobe?

I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.
Old August 16th 11, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JD

John Doe wrote:
I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.

See if this helps:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/09/ado...reader_sl-exe/

--
JD..
Old August 16th 11, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John Doe wrote:
I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.

This is undoubtedly a crock, but you can test it.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403175.html

"Is it possible to disable Adobe AIR auto-updates?

AIR SettingsManager application

http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/app...ngsManager.air
"

which is written in, you guessed it, AIR :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Integrated_Runtime

Paul
Old August 16th 11, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

JD wrote:
John Doe wrote:
I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.

See if this helps:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/09/ado...reader_sl-exe/

I can see those two items in Sysinternals Autoruns. (I found them
in a Win2K virtual machine, so now I understand the arm reference.)

Using the tick boxes in Autoruns, you could stop the launch (or
try to stop it, depending on what other resource the program has).

They're not on my WinXP machine, because I use an ancient version
of Acrobat Reader over there. That version pesters me about installing
AIR, over and over again.

Paul
Old August 16th 11, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

John Doe wrote:

I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.

You could uninstall all Adobe software, use their cleanup tool, and then
move to a smaller and faster PDF viewer (and even lets you annotate)
without the bloatware and which is more secure (both in available user
config settings and in a low-profile against attacks), like PDF-Xchange,
also free.

You'll still probably want to keep Adobe's Flash Player but get their
standalone installer instead of using their auto-update web page which
nails you with ADM (Adobe Download Manager). It usually takes me a few
minutes to figure out how to pretend the auto-install failed (I just
refuse the install) to navigate around to find the alternate downloads,
but there are online articles that give hints on how to install without
ADM, likw:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/27/dow...nload-manager/
Old August 16th 11, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

Using the tick boxes in Autoruns

I use that utility, especially for the "jump to registry entry"
feature.

I use an ancient version of Acrobat Reader over there. That
version pesters me about installing AIR, over and over again.

It should be illegal, if it isn't.

The thing actually crashed my system, twice. I was watching an
ESPN3 tennis match when stuff froze. The Adobe program button had
just come up on the taskbar, probably doing the usual unauthorized
Adobe update crap.
--

Paul

Old August 17th 11, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 16 Aug 2011 10:19:07 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled, Program Updates is disabled. I
think maybe it comes through Firefox. The only Firefox updates I
allowed was to Firefox itself, so I'm disabling that too. Adobe
sucks.

MJ Registry Watcher. It can get in the way depending on what you're
doing, but between casual browsing and occasional test installs,
basically my registry is locked out. Oh, it does its pop-up thing
when someone's at your registry again. Some of the time, sometimes I
don't see it and have to remember to shut it down temporarily from
Taskmanager.

After Ghosting it's always the first the thing to pop up with good ol'
Adobe trying to do its thing on just about any sizable webpage.
Old August 25th 11, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

John Doe wrote:

I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates. I tried deleting some folders and they just get restored.
The POS just crashed my system, so I need to put some effort into
this. Windows Updates is disabled.

Adobe is one of the companies that are allowed to back door
past windows firewall in Win7 - I keep on stuff like that.

I use PeerBlock mostly for P2P but the most important thing you can run is
your HOSTS file - I block malware ads, adobe, Opera's Unite, lots of Opera
links and it's my Browser of choice.

I started with this HOSTS file: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
and use the free program Hosts Xpert to add to it.

To block Adobe I have this list. The updates you need to check each program
or your firewall for the update program (then block it), this mostly bypasses
registrations. To find a ip address to add to a host file use NetStat or
www.Systernals.com TCPVIEW

# Adobe Photoshop - registration

127.0.0.1 3dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ctivate-sjc0.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ctivate.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ctivate.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ctivate.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ctivate.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ativate.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 dobe-dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 dobe-dns-1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 dobe-dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobeereg.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.newoa practivate.adobe.ntp
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.ipp
127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 hl2rcv.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.adobeereg.com
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip1.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 www.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 crl.verisign.net
127.0.0.1 CRL.VERISIGN.NET
127.0.0.1 ood.opsource.net

--
Lady Gaga - Born this Way with Madonna express yourself mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1GdLYcFOg
Old August 25th 11, 06:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

John Doe wrote:

I don't just mean the company, I mean the POS "ARM" or whatever
it's called. I need to stop the damn thing from checking for
updates.

I assume a windows OS

Use Autoruns and disable:
- AcrobatUpdater.exe
- AdobeExtractFiles.dll
- ReaderUpdater.exe
From loading

after I posted, I checked Google
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/523112

Autoruns isn't updated for Win7, I figure if it were you
could disable some of the DRM. www.systernals.com was purchased
just before Vista was released.

But it will work for Win7 www.sysinternals.com/bb963902

But always run a HOSTS file, it's just common sense after you know what
it's capable of doing. What you have installed is blank by default.
----

Any of the new Adobe programs will load you up with bloatware
ARM, AIR...

I quit at Photoshop CS2 and use Foxpro for my PDF reader.

Old September 6th 11, 10:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_23_]

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:50:43 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I do this but it doesn't stop Adobe putting stuff in the RunOnce key.
--
(\__/) M.