where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

Old June 9th 11, 05:06 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

Default where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

On 9/06/2011 10:16 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
t@t@. wrote:
I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried
at the Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been
able to find it anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
addition of a spellchecker.

http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

Jon

This isquite a neat little program. I installed it but will it run as a
portable app from a thumbdrive? Also, will it open the olw wordpad
format .wri files? I think these are the files he needs to open rather
than .rtf format files.

Krypsis

Old June 9th 11, 06:15 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
t@t@.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:05:32 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

t@t@. wrote in message ...
I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
the
Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
it
anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.

Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since they're on
every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft was on
to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad
documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other reason(s)
too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like Office
that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out of
being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately screwed
them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old version
of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed there
too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and download a
program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time just
trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they screwed
us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as easily
as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and can
carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't have
that program you'll have it right there?
Old June 11th 11, 04:10 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

t@t@. wrote:

I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I
tried at the Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and
haven't been able to find it anywhere else either. Can anyone
suggest someplace?

Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad

they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad documents any more.
Is there something free that would open them,

From the wikipedia:

// In Windows 95, 98 and Windows 2000, it used Microsoft's RichEdit
control, versions 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 respectively. [1] In Windows XP SP1
and later, it uses RichEdit 4.1,[2] including Windows 7. [3]

WordPad for Windows XP added full Unicode support, enabling WordPad to
support multiple languages, but UTF-16/UCS-2 Big Endian is not
supported. It can open Microsoft Word (versions 6.0-2003) files,
although it opens newer versions of the .DOC format with incorrect
formatting. Also, unlike previous WordPad versions, it cannot save files
in the .doc format (only .txt or .rtf). Windows XP Service Pack 2
disabled support for opening .WRI files for security purposes. //

XP's WordPad won't open W98's WordPad .doc files.

I think that if you change your old WordPad .doc files to .rtf extension
you can open them with newer WordPad.

Then there's this regedit from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090 Rich Text Format (RTF)
converters are disabled in Windows XP SP2.

You may also find this discussion and links helpful, specifically entry
#5 "Entered "EnableLegacyConverters" into my Registry and all is well."

http://www.windowsbbs.com/other-soft...tml#post182498
When I click on one of the .doc files, I get a message "Cannot load Word
for Word 6.0 files".

--
Mike Easter
Old June 11th 11, 04:17 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

t@t@. wrote:

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

AbiWord will open them and is free and portable.

--
Mike Easter
Old June 17th 11, 08:34 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mac Cool

:

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

Have you tried Google Docs? Not sure if it will open the old Wordpad files
but it stores your documents online and you can access or edit them from
any computer.
Old September 11th 11, 11:28 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert Baer[_2_]

Jeff Strickland wrote:
t@t@. wrote in message ...
I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
the
Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
it
anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.

Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

Well, i have been (and still am) running Win98Se for ages, and that
has saved my bacon many times.
A very good example is that about 2 years ago self-installing
rootkits were the rage to damage computers; Win98SE does not have the
chops to support such insanity, and i survived without an eyeblink.
Old September 12th 11, 12:01 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shaun

"Mike Easter" wrote in message ...

Shaun wrote:

Paul

You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
computer belongs.

Shaun

Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
a usenet group does not work properly here.

WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

--
Mike Easter

Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
except the very anal types.

I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
Thanks for trying.

later,

Shaun

To the OP - Buy a new ****ing computer with an antivirus program and get
with the times. Don't waste out time with Windows 98!

Old September 12th 11, 12:23 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_7_]

Shaun wrote:

[...]

Pardon, did you say something !

Old September 12th 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Shaun wrote:

[...]

The details do matter. Why ? By posting your reply before a
..sig mark, your reply cannot be replied to. It doesn't get quoted
properly. To make this message, I had to:

1) Copy and Paste Shaun's reply from below the .sig from the original post.
2) Move all the quote marks over one, manually, with the editor.
3) Hope that I didn't mess up quoting by doing this.

I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.
It's a good, basic newsreader. The only real trick with Thunderbird, is
ticking the "always request authentication" box, for usage with news servers
that have a username and password, as then, Thunderbird will prompt you
the first time for the username and password. Via caching, it won't pester
you every time after that.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

You can also set the "port number", according to whether you want the
stream to be encrypted to the server or not.

If you need further help, a search of the web will have an illustrated
guide for setup. I've found such guides, for setting up Thunderbird,
on some university IT sites for example. Even the news server main web
site, sometimes has primers on it, to help clients set up their
favorite reader program. The first time you use Thunderbird, it may be
a bit daunting, I don't deny that.

I like using separate tools for separate functions. One tool for mail.
Another tool for USENET. By doing so, there is never a danger I'll
forward a "letter from mom" to alt.flame :-) This kind of thing does
happen occasionally, when people do both USENET and mail, within the
same tool.

Good luck,
Paul
Old September 13th 11, 12:34 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
nexus

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:18:04 +1000, Paul wrote:

I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.

absolute nonsense.

TB "out of the box" inserts spaces in the attribution angle brackets.
Usenet forums are littered with such visual flotsam deposited by WM and TB.

Opera provides the only "out of the box" news enabled email client with
"M2". Whilst M2 is not perfect neither - what nntp enabled www.browser
"add-on"
is - for those willing to go past the fodder Micro****e loads as default
Opera
is the optimum desktop replacement. The options available in both browser
and mail/news will employ the most avid geek type for many an hour.
Equally, Opera just works once the SMTP/NNTP fields are installed with
the provider's required detail. Too easy!

http://www.opera.com/browser/

--

nex pls