ATI 600SE and Dell 2405FPW

Old December 1st 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom Scales

Default ATI 600SE and Dell 2405FPW

I'm having a weird problem.

I have Dell Optiplex GX620 SFF with a low-profile 600SE card. The card only
has a DVI connector, but comes with a Y-cable that has one VGA port and one
DVI port so you can do dual monitor.

It also has integrated Intel GMA950 when you remove the 600SE.

I am trying to get it to work with a Dell 2405FPW widescreen monitor that
has a native resolution of 1920x1200. My preference is to use VGA for the
Dell, as I'll be using the DVI side for a 1920x1080P LCD. That said, the
other LCD is NOT connected.

I am running pretty recent drivers from ATI, although probably a month old.
I have the latest INF file for the monitor installed.

Here's the problem.

The ATI card insists on running the monitor at 1600x1200 and panning. It
will not run at 1920x1200, even though the INF file is telling it to.

When I take out the ATI card and use the low-end integrated graphics, it
runs flawlessly at 1920x1200 and can happily run the LCD at 1920x1080p
through DVI.

Seems like the ATI card would be better, so I would like it to work.

Any thoughts? I've tried everything.

Thanks,

Tom

Old December 2nd 06, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark

I had the exact same problem when I first tried to install a 2405 on a
radeon 8500. All I can say is that after repeated reinstalls of the
ati drivers and 2405 inf using different orders of operations and
rebooting it finally worked properly.

.. .

Old December 2nd 06, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Tom Scales:

The ATI card insists on running the monitor at 1600x1200 and panning. It
will not run at 1920x1200, even though the INF file is telling it to.

When I take out the ATI card and use the low-end integrated graphics, it
runs flawlessly at 1920x1200 and can happily run the LCD at 1920x1080p
through DVI.

Seems like the ATI card would be better, so I would like it to work.

Any thoughts?

Yes. 1920x1200 requires the gfx card to do reduced blanking over DVI.
IIRC there is a checkbox somewhere to tell the ATI driver to do reduced
blanking, but without an ATI card at the moment I can't check where it is.

Benjamin
Old December 2nd 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom Scales

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Tom Scales:

The ATI card insists on running the monitor at 1600x1200 and panning. It
will not run at 1920x1200, even though the INF file is telling it to.

When I take out the ATI card and use the low-end integrated graphics, it
runs flawlessly at 1920x1200 and can happily run the LCD at 1920x1080p
through DVI.

Seems like the ATI card would be better, so I would like it to work.

Any thoughts?

Yes. 1920x1200 requires the gfx card to do reduced blanking over DVI. IIRC
there is a checkbox somewhere to tell the ATI driver to do reduced
blanking, but without an ATI card at the moment I can't check where it is.

Benjamin

But I'm confused. It works over DVI. It doesn't work over VGA.

Tom

Old December 2nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Tom Scales:

But I'm confused. It works over DVI. It doesn't work over VGA.

Oops, sorry, then I did get you wrong. In this case please forget what I
said.

But then, I'd never connect a 2405FPW over analog any more, especially
with the poor signal quality of most ATI (and Geforce) cards...

Benjamin
Old December 2nd 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom Scales

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Tom Scales:

But I'm confused. It works over DVI. It doesn't work over VGA.

Oops, sorry, then I did get you wrong. In this case please forget what I
said.

But then, I'd never connect a 2405FPW over analog any more, especially
with the poor signal quality of most ATI (and Geforce) cards...

Benjamin

The problem is that the 2405FPW is the 'little' monitor. DVI is going to
my 37" 1080p LCD

Old December 3rd 06, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* Tom Scales:

The problem is that the 2405FPW is the 'little' monitor. DVI is going to
my 37" 1080p LCD

Why not just get a cheap gfx card with two DVI outputs? Probably the
best solution after all...

Benjamin
Old December 3rd 06, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom Scales

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
* Tom Scales:

The problem is that the 2405FPW is the 'little' monitor. DVI is going
to my 37" 1080p LCD

Why not just get a cheap gfx card with two DVI outputs? Probably the best
solution after all...

Benjamin

Because this is a PCI-e low-profile card -- the only card that will fit.

And none of them are cheap.

Old December 4th 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
.. .
But I'm confused. It works over DVI. It doesn't work over VGA.

Sorry to not be of help, but that is also exactly what I experienced
with an 8500 - dvi was fine, but vga required numerous installs,
uninstalls, registry cleans, etc, until 1920x1200 would work properly

Old December 4th 06, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tom Scales

"Mark" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
.. .
But I'm confused. It works over DVI. It doesn't work over VGA.

Sorry to not be of help, but that is also exactly what I experienced with
an 8500 - dvi was fine, but vga required numerous installs, uninstalls,
registry cleans, etc, until 1920x1200 would work properly

Wish I could figure out the magic. I've tried every possible combination.