[Q] Color Laser Printer

Old July 13th 03, 07:07 AM
_Jung

Default [Q] Color Laser Printer

I run a video duplication shop. To make labels for our customers' tapes we
have been using BW laser printers. However, we are getting more and more
demands for color labels. So, I am considering buying a color laser
printer, but I hardly know a thing about it...

The reasons why I am considering a color LASER printer, not inkjet, are as
following;

1. Labels printed with inkjet printers have too low of tolerance to water
and moisture.
2. I would like to be able to use glossy labels, which inkjet printers
cannot print on.
3. Ink cartridges are too expensive.
4. When it comes to color printing, I only know two types of printer; inkjet
and laser.

So, now it's only logical for me to wonder followings;

1. How much should I expect to pay for a good and reliable color laser
printer, which can handle day to day heavy usage? I'm willing to spend up
to a couple thousand dollars. Would it be enough?
2. What about the maintenance cost, like toners and stuff? I know BW laser
printer toners are so much cheaper than inkjet cartridges, in terms of the
cost vs. the amount of printing they can do. Is it the same way in color
printing, too?
3. What about the print quality? Are color laser jet printers better than,
or at least as good as inkjet printers?
4. Would there be any other options for me, like some sort of a totally
different breed of printer which I don't know?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Old July 13th 03, 01:06 PM
Pete Premock

I bought a used Xerox 790 Color Phaser about two years ago for $1500.00. It
prints exceptional photos and text. I have photos I printed over a year ago
in my shop window and they look as good as the day I printed them. I have
also printed bumper stickers for friends and they still look good after
being on cars for over a year. 8 x 10 photos print in 2 minutes. After
pictures and text come out with a glossy finish on regular copy paper. OEM
toner is quite pricey about $200.00 a color. After market toner is now
available for much less. Approximately $40.00 per color; although the first
after market toner I bought was terrible. Pete

Old July 15th 03, 10:12 PM
Philip Davies

BE vary carefull in your choice of Lasers many of them have hidden costs
like new waste tanks new fuser rolls etc
The best on market at present is minolltas latest QME laser that apart from
the tomnner only requires a drum change.
They come in all specifications right up to photo quallity aand dulex units.
Price new compares very favourable with any other one around £800.00 for top
spec inclding duples.
Have a look at their web site.

Of course you could stick with Epson in UK its 2100 think in USA it is the
22200 this comes with the holder fpor printing directly onto the Cd and
being pigment ink wont wash off at all. Couple this with a continuous inking
system and you should find your unit cost per CD about 70% of a laser.
"_Jung" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old July 16th 03, 03:34 AM
_Jung

Thank you so much Phillip! As a matter of fact, I've never thought about
the maintenance cost other than toners. Since it's going to be used
commercially, it sure will be used a lot more than a typical home usage.

Actually, I visited Office Depot (it's a warehouse-like office supply store
chain in the states) the other day, and had a chance to see a laser printer
from Minolta (unfortunately I didn't get the model name). I was also able
to print a demo page, and the printing quality was more than satisfactory.
Also, it was a lot faster than I expected, although I am not sure if that
printer on display was tuned up to print that demo page faster than normal
speed or not.

I was considering HP laser printers mainly because of their reputation.
What about Minolta? I know they make good cameras, but I didn't even know
they made laser printers before I saw one in the store. Would you say they
are reliable?

"Philip Davies" wrote in message
BE vary carefull in your choice of Lasers many of them have hidden costs
like new waste tanks new fuser rolls etc
The best on market at present is minolltas latest QME laser that apart

from
the tomnner only requires a drum change.
They come in all specifications right up to photo quallity aand dulex

units.
Price new compares very favourable with any other one around ?00.00 for

Old July 16th 03, 09:34 PM
Michael Ainsworth

We have been looking at A Color Laser for the office. And have been
really considering the Magic Color 2200 DeskLaser by Minolta. There is
currently a $200 Mail in Rebate too. Microcenter (US Computer Chain)
has it for $799 so thats $599 for a color laser that smokes a $1700 HP
Color Laser. This model also has built in networking and the ram can
be upgraded easily which is a mega plus. Seriously with the rebate its
a steal.

Michael Ainsworth

For Nationwide & Onsite Printer, Copier & Fax Machine Repair Vist...
http://www.firstchoice.cc

For New & Remanufactured Toner for Your Imagistics or Pitney Bowes
Machines Vist...
http://www.imagisticssupplies.com

For Your Feed Roller & Other Printer Parts Needs Vist...
http://www.feedroller.com

USB Printer Problems Kevin Altizer General 9 July 24th 04 04:28 PM
Printer partially ejects on cold boot *Vanguard* General 3 May 15th 04 11:50 PM
Dell printer 960 gringo Dell Computers 5 April 9th 04 07:26 AM
Linux to emulate/act as a printer. Peteris Krumins General 0 December 26th 03 04:22 AM