HELP: Hardware Resources - How resolve memory conflict?

Old August 25th 03, 02:34 AM
FN

Default HELP: Hardware Resources - How resolve memory conflict?

Hi. I have a 24 / 7 machine running an important task in my office, running
W2K Pro sp4, that keeps getting hung up by a memory conflict. I can see
where it is happening, but I don't know how to fix it.

In Computer Management... Hardware resources, Memory, I see:

0xD0800 - 0xEFFFF PCI Bus
0xD0800 - 0xEFFFF System Board

AND an ISA hardware board in the PC is using 0xD0000 - 0xD8000. This is
presumably the conflict for my intermittment hanging issue. And my ISA
board won't work in any other space (I've tried every option and this is the
only one that works).

For those who understand, I assume System Board, means the motherboard,
right? But what the heck is PCI Bus doing using a memory area?

How can stop the motherboard and PCI Bus from using 0xD0000 to 0xD0800? Can
I? If not, am I supposed to buy a different motherboard because I have to
use this ISA card and it wants this space?

Old August 25th 03, 08:31 PM
FN

"Jim Turner" wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:34:06 GMT, "FN"
wrote:

[...]

More details about what the ISA board is might help, along with what
board you are using. There are few boards produced now with an ISA
slot. Need to know what you have so the problem can be avoided.

JT

Jim, the board shouldn't matter. I would say, but no one has heard of it.
It's made for the biotech industry, costs a fortune, and I have to use
0xD0000 to 0xD0800 with that board because the board won't load under any
other memory address (theoretically, it can, but it detects conflicts at
every other address but this range). So, back to my earlier questions
above...

Old August 25th 03, 10:21 PM
Jim Turner

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:31:21 GMT, "FN"
wrote:

ws.com...
wrote:

[...]

What motherboard are you using? Wasn't clear that I wanted that info
to. Chipsets can make a difference on what address ranges are used.

Old August 25th 03, 10:39 PM
FN

"Jim Turner" wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:31:21 GMT, "FN"
wrote:

ws.com...
wrote:

[...]

The motherboard is an old Pentium II-300 based ASUS P2B motherboard.
Thanks.

Old August 27th 03, 01:57 PM
santa

"FN" wrote in message
:
: "Jim Turner" wrote in message
: s.com...
: On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:31:21 GMT, "FN"
: wrote:
:
:
: ws.com...
: wrote:
:
[...]
Does a PII processor meet the minimum specs for W2K? Not to put too fine a
point on it if its a 24/7 "important" process is a $20 system really the
right place to run it? I believe there are ISA to PCI adaptors that may be
cheaper than a new bio-board. Alternatively you should be able to buy
refurbed MBs with ISA on them.

W2K is not the world's sturdiest OS. XP is much more stable but it
certainly won't run worth a darn on a PII. I've run with both and I play
around with the shareware a lot so it tends to be unstable to begin with and
XP is in my opinion a lot more sturdy.

LOL
claus

LOL

Old August 27th 03, 04:26 PM
Jim Turner

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:39:01 GMT, "FN"
wrote:

The motherboard is an old Pentium II-300 based ASUS P2B motherboard.
Thanks.

Might not be able to do what you want. The addresses and irq of the
chipsets/motherboard resources are hardwired. Unusual that an ISA card
would use that address range. Remove all other cards except video in
the system and use just the ISA card with different settings. Get this
working and resolve the conflicts with other cards as you plug them
back in one at a time.
Old August 27th 03, 10:57 PM
FN

thanks for telling me that they are hardwired. there are no other cards,
by the way, except a raid card, which i also can't remove, and a network
card (which I suppose I could remove).

s.com...

Old August 27th 03, 10:58 PM
FN

"santa" wrote in message

"FN" wrote in message
:
: "Jim Turner" wrote in message
: s.com...
: On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:31:21 GMT, "FN"
: wrote:
:
:
: ws.com...
: wrote:
:
[...]

Thanks for nothing. Yes, a pII is fine with w2k! It's not a money thing,
but rather a compatibility issue. XP and other newer stuff is not
compatible.

Old August 27th 03, 11:24 PM
Jim Turner

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:57:05 GMT, "FN"
wrote:

thanks for telling me that they are hardwired. there are no other cards,
by the way, except a raid card, which i also can't remove, and a network
card (which I suppose I could remove).

Remove the network card and see what you can do. Or move it and the
raid to a different PCI slot. PCI Address ranges are usually assigned
based on which slot you plug into. If you aren't booting off the raid
(or can temporarily set it up without it) get it working there first.
Then add cards. Might need a different NIC (which is cheap) or RAID
controller (not as cheap)

Hope this Helps

Jim

PS. what other address ranges does the card accept, and what devices
are using those addresses.