Linux issues with newer boards

Old August 17th 04, 04:03 PM
Rick

Default Linux issues with newer boards

I have been accustomed to using Asus boards in small servers and
workstations but notice the newer boards (P4P800, P4PE, P4C800) are
impossible to deal with when using anything past Redhat Linux 9 and Fedora.
Although I have been able to get most of the new boards working with work
arounds, the P4P800 in particular is still from what I understand to be
blacklisted in Fedora. I now use RH 8.0 on my P4P800 which I still had to
use work arounds, which is not an ideal solution.

I need to purchase more mobos for web/database server use and would like
recommendations from this group whether or not I should be using these
boards considering the recent Linux compatability issues. Anyone know if
this is an issue with Asus designing thier boards to be specifically Windows
centric or does this have to do with the community not keeping up with new
boards?

Old August 17th 04, 06:16 PM
Philip Callan

Rick wrote:
I have been accustomed to using Asus boards in small servers and
workstations but notice the newer boards (P4P800, P4PE, P4C800) are
impossible to deal with when using anything past Redhat Linux 9 and Fedora.

I use MDK 10.0 flawlessly with my P4C800-E new kernel and everything,
maybe you should give it a shot.
Old August 17th 04, 08:06 PM
Jan

Hi Philip,

"Philip Callan" schreef in bericht
I use MDK 10.0 flawlessly with my P4C800-E new kernel and everything,
maybe you should give it a shot.

Hi Philip,

Does Flawlessly in your case mean, that MDK 10.0 supports SATA drives on
the Intel SATA controller? And is there native support for the onboard
Promise controller as well?

Jan

Old August 17th 04, 08:14 PM
Philip Callan

Jan wrote:
Hi Philip,

"Philip Callan" schreef in bericht

I use MDK 10.0 flawlessly with my P4C800-E new kernel and everything,
maybe you should give it a shot.

Hi Philip,

Does Flawlessly in your case mean, that MDK 10.0 supports SATA drives on
the Intel SATA controller? And is there native support for the onboard
Promise controller as well?

Jan

I can't speak for the Promise controller, but I boot and run my OS of
the Intel ICH-5R chipset, so yes it will support the SATA controller.

As for the promise, I'm pretty sure there is, a lot of people have
promise chipsets on their RAID cards Take a look around the MDK
website, or even better google alt.os.linux.mandrake and see what people
say
Old August 17th 04, 08:22 PM
Jan

I can't speak for the Promise controller, but I boot and run my OS of
the Intel ICH-5R chipset, so yes it will support the SATA controller.

As for the promise, I'm pretty sure there is, a lot of people have
promise chipsets on their RAID cards Take a look around the MDK
website, or even better google alt.os.linux.mandrake and see what people
say

THX Philip, I will do the search you recommended.

What kind of videocard do you use? Mine is a Asus Radeon 9600 XT. Any idea
if Ati chipsets are supported?

Jan

Old August 17th 04, 08:31 PM
Rick

Jan wrote:
Hi Philip,

"Philip Callan" schreef in bericht

I use MDK 10.0 flawlessly with my P4C800-E new kernel and everything,
maybe you should give it a shot.

Hi Philip,

Does Flawlessly in your case mean, that MDK 10.0 supports SATA drives

on
the Intel SATA controller? And is there native support for the onboard
Promise controller as well?

Jan

I can't speak for the Promise controller, but I boot and run my OS of
the Intel ICH-5R chipset, so yes it will support the SATA controller.

As for the promise, I'm pretty sure there is, a lot of people have
promise chipsets on their RAID cards Take a look around the MDK
website, or even better google alt.os.linux.mandrake and see what people
say

Everything I see so far in the linux side seems to be just getting by on the
seat of the Linux communities pants with no help from Asus. From other
threads that I read it seems that they are only focusing on Windows and have
completely abandoned Linux. However I am not sure how true this is or just
people that are ****ed off that they can't get their stuff to work with the
later releases of Linux.

This is such a shame since these boards are pretty solid for Windows but
like many who purchase Asus we also run a mixed Linux environment. All our
workstations and servers are running Asus boards currently. But now it is
time for some upgrades and it just not look good some of the problems we
have had with Redhat 9 to Fedora FC2 on the newer boards.

Anyone else here using the newer Asus boards in a technical business
environment or for small servers using later versions of Linux, including
RH9, RHE to Fedora?

Old August 17th 04, 09:10 PM
Philip Callan

Jan wrote:
"Philip Callan" schreef in bericht

I can't speak for the Promise controller, but I boot and run my OS of
the Intel ICH-5R chipset, so yes it will support the SATA controller.

As for the promise, I'm pretty sure there is, a lot of people have
promise chipsets on their RAID cards Take a look around the MDK
website, or even better google alt.os.linux.mandrake and see what people
say

THX Philip, I will do the search you recommended.

What kind of videocard do you use? Mine is a Asus Radeon 9600 XT. Any idea
if Ati chipsets are supported?

Jan

I hope so

I use a R9700Pro AIW, dual setup, my CRT and my TV as a secondary (not
clone) display, works great for playing a DVD for the kid while working
on the CRT in a terminal/web browser
Old August 17th 04, 10:30 PM
anc

Rick wrote:

I have been accustomed to using Asus boards in small servers and
workstations but notice the newer boards (P4P800, P4PE, P4C800) are
impossible to deal with when using anything past Redhat Linux 9 and
Fedora. Although I have been able to get most of the new boards working
with work arounds, the P4P800 in particular is still from what I
understand to be
blacklisted in Fedora. I now use RH 8.0 on my P4P800 which I still had
to use work arounds, which is not an ideal solution.

I have an Asus P4P800-E deluxe running Fedora FC2. Look at the Fedora FAQ,
in particular qustion 8:-

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Download the patch, burn the ISO and follow the instructions precisely, you
will soon have a working Fedora system. The latest kernel is 2.6.7 not
2.6.6 as the FAQ states.
Old August 17th 04, 10:40 PM
anc

Rick wrote:

[...]

Im running a multiboot linux system including FC2 on a P4P800E-deluxe
motherboard. I dont use SATA drives but have a maxtor 160G UDMA 133 HD.
Speed is indeed impressive:-
orac:/home/anc # hdtach -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.15 seconds =853.33 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.12 seconds = 57.14 MB/sec

This equals hdtach when running under windoze xp. The rest of the Asus
Motherbord, onboard sound and lan, is also supported under linux as is
hardware monitoring using the Winbod W83627 hardware sensors module.
The problem with Fedora causing reboots was a misconfigured 2.6 kernel,
this has been patched now as per the Fedora FAQ.

Old August 18th 04, 03:02 AM
Rick

"anc" wrote in message
Rick wrote:

I have been accustomed to using Asus boards in small servers and
workstations but notice the newer boards (P4P800, P4PE, P4C800) are
impossible to deal with when using anything past Redhat Linux 9 and
Fedora. Although I have been able to get most of the new boards working
with work arounds, the P4P800 in particular is still from what I
understand to be
blacklisted in Fedora. I now use RH 8.0 on my P4P800 which I still had
to use work arounds, which is not an ideal solution.

I have an Asus P4P800-E deluxe running Fedora FC2. Look at the Fedora FAQ,
in particular qustion 8:-

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Download the patch, burn the ISO and follow the instructions precisely,

you
will soon have a working Fedora system. The latest kernel is 2.6.7 not
2.6.6 as the FAQ states.

Thanks, glad to see there is finally a work around. The P4P800 works fine
for me under RH 8.0. I did not want to buy any more P4P800 boards without
having a fix for this problem since any new installations are going to be
Fedora.