Motorola Set Top Box VIP 1963 is basically a noiseless 12.5 watt PCwithout fans and holes in it. (266 mhz !)

Old February 10th 20, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Motorola Set Top Box VIP 1963 is basically a noiseless 12.5 watt PCwithout fans and holes in it. (266 mhz !)

Motorola Set Top Box VIP 1963 is basically a noiseless 12.5 watt PC without fans and holes in it. (266 mhz !)

One more thing I would like to write and inform you about.

I found this Motorola Set Top Box VIP 1963, got it from my mother, saw it back then powering a TV.

I took a closer look at this device. It's quite alien. But in fact is an entire alien PC.

It has everything needed to make it a nice PC: HDMI, 2 USB ports, Ethernet, Harddisk and is 266 MHZ or something.

And the most amazing part: it comes in a nice black box without any fans or holes in it, 12.5 watts.

It's processor is SH4 from Hitachi 32 bit processor.

It runs CreaTV, some linux based OS for set top boxes.

It's hackable/reinstallable via network/ethernet simple FTP server or something.

Haven't tried yet, but could be an interesting experience to use a completely quiet PC.

It's from 2012. Some can be bought for as little as 5 or 10 bucks.

I must admit my DreamPC is quite quiet, since fans on low and it doesn't really bother me that much... now that I am thinking of the noise, otherwise I don't really notice it, might also have gotten use to it.

Basically this motorola is like a dreamcast, so it's kinda funny to see how thus "sega" tech ended up in set top boxes powering televisions.

It were computer games that probably started first with "digital televisions" digitized movies and such... so somewhat remarkable evolution there.

Older versions of Windows CE 4 or so might work on it and maybe Linux 2.6

Feels kinda sad that this device is not more open and not more support by windows.

Feels sad to through it away without having run windows or linux on it decently.

Kinda of a shame and a waste of pretty good/decent electronics I think... not yet sure... could not open the device yet because of ****ty screws, but there are pictures on the internet showing this device.

Anyway much more beautifull and better device then the cisco crap that ziggo send me... I am about to throw that iron big metal crap into the waste/recycling... it was almost dead on arrival !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.